This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » What the hell did Tony Woodcock...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What the hell did Tony Woodcock...
World Cup Willie
Member # 905

- posted      Profile for World Cup Willie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...have on his head last night? (Sky Sports Xtra)

I only caught it while having a half time drink at Elland Road. The sound was turned down so I’m still not sure if it WAS Tony Woodcock. It might have been Robert Plant, circa 1971.

Posts: 1562 | From: the axis of pain-pleasure to the arc of desire | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pishtico pishtico
Member # 154

- posted      Profile for pishtico pishtico     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too was taken aback,and his accent has a clipped German phrasing to it also.

I know he's working in Germany but how he popped up I'll never know.
Question

You know these football pundits,the ex players who don't have a sky/BBC/ITV contract and are brought in for Channel 5 like Steve Claridge,John Barnes,etc etc are they on a payment per game,and how much do you reckon they'd get for a one off game?

Posts: 737 | From: birmingham uk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alderman Barnes
Member # 121

- posted      Profile for Alderman Barnes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember hearing him a while back and that struck me too. Very weird - I know loads of people who've been here in Germany for many years but none of them have actually started speaking with a German accent.

It seems he's gone so far native that he's even growing the haircut.

Posts: 4862 | From: the home of the Herzmeister | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw John Barnes in Paddington recreation ground, London, last week. He was playing tennis.
Posts: 3478 | From: the Underworld | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TeBe
Member # 985

- posted      Profile for TeBe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Woodcock had been back in the UK for a couple of years, running some company or other with Viv Anderson?

Woodcock is always invited by the British media to comment on German football, and I'm at a loss to explain why. Can't fault his playing record - he still holds the record for the most appearances by a British player in the Bundesliga and the most goals scored -, but he was a bit of a wrongcock as a manager and his analytical skills are likewise.

In this BBC interview, for example, ol' Holzpimmel explains after Germany's defeat against Romania in the first match of Euro 2000:
- that he is "still fairly certain Germany can proceed in Euro 2000"
- that it is Lothar Matthäus' fitness (as opposed to his very presence) that was Germany's problem
- that Carsten Jancker is a "very good striker": "I think Janker (sic!) could be particularly dangerous, so as an Englishman I would be quite pleased if he did not play on Saturday."

Much enjoyment can be gained from his interviews in watching him rewrite his own training and managerial career in Germany. I recall an interview in The Independent some years back where he slagged off VfB Leipzig who he had managed for about hundred days in 1995 just after their relegation from the Bundesliga. Woodcock paints a picture of an unmotivated squad of ex-GDR stalwarts who had been with the club for decades and refused to adapt to his Western training concepts. In fact, Leipzig had been motivated enough to be the first East German club to gain promotion to the Bundesliga after reunification, and the players (who came from East & West Germany, Ghana and Brazil) were just not impressed by his managerial approach.

Woodcock, who had solely played and managed in Cologne before this, also stated that he had been "warned against" managing a club in the East and that they did not respond to him because he was a foreign manager. But after Woodcock was sacked in 1995, with VfB Leipzig at the bottom of the 2. Bundesliga, the trainer who saved them from relegation was - Austrian (Gustl Starek).

Or check out this interview with the English F.A., where he states: "A company called Octagon bought Eintracht Frankfurt and asked me to run the club for a season. But after that finished, I wanted to come back to England." Erm..., not exactly, no. Woodcock was hired on a two-year contract and fired after one. In his defence, being general manager of Eintracht at the time was a thankless task, particularly after Octagon pulled out and threw the club into financial chaos. But Woodcock didn't help matters either, bringing in poor quality players (Sim, Nemeth) and being slow to negotiate contracts with key players, many of whom subsequently left.

What finally got him the sack in June 2002 was the fact that, with Eintracht still looking for a trainer and staring insolvency in the face, Woodcock chose to play in a seniors tournament in Hong Kong and then go on holiday to Thailand. He was fired whilst on holiday.

Anyway, what does his hair look like now? Like this?

-

[ 29.09.2004, 20:22: Message edited by: TeBe ]

Posts: 180 | From: frisch, fröhlich, frei | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I speak German with an indecipherable accent.
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HORN
Member # 204

- posted      Profile for HORN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It brings me no pleasure to do this.

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,17-1152931,00.html

Posts: 2404 | From: Sgeti | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TeBe
Member # 985

- posted      Profile for TeBe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let that picture be a warning to a Steve McManaman about the effects of too much nightclubbing.
Posts: 180 | From: frisch, fröhlich, frei | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fuck it, I thought that was McManaman.

You know that Woodcock was an embarrassing flop at Köln. Utter rubbish.

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alderman Barnes
Member # 121

- posted      Profile for Alderman Barnes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have it on good authority that having given up football management he now plays bass for Smokie.
Posts: 4862 | From: the home of the Herzmeister | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

quote:
Can't fault his playing record - he still holds the record for the most appearances by a British player in the Bundesliga and the most goals scored
Woodcock played 130 Bundesliga games for Köln in five seasons (in two spells). As a striker, he scored 39 goals, including one golden season, 1981/82, when he scored 15 goals (mainly thanks to Köln's fantastic attack with Littbarski, Allofs, Fischer and Stefan Engels, who had a fine season that year).

It's noit a woinderfuil record for a player who was a record transfer (or close to it) when he arrived in Köln in 1979.

Defensive-minded
Member # 493

- posted      Profile for Defensive-minded     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That’s utter tosh, G-Man. In his first spell at Cologne, Woodcock was the star player, usually employed in an attacking midfield role and not as an out-and-out striker. When he returned he was unfortunate to be be one of three good foreign players of which only two were allowed to play at a time. He was no longer the player he used to be but, playing as a forward this time, still managed to bang in a few goals.
Posts: 972 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

I supported Köln very cosely at the time. Coming in on the heels of Keegan, Woodcock was hamstrung by great expectations, of course.

But Woodcock was far from being an unqualified success. He certainly was not "the star player" by any stretch of the imagination. Allofs, Littbarski and Fischer, Schumacher -- hell, even Gerd Strack -- were far more consistent and making a far greater contribution than Tony Woodcock. Most Köln fans were not distraught when he left the first time around. He was not a flop, but neither was he the great success he promised to be.

[ 01.10.2004, 09:22: Message edited by: G-Man ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC