This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Arsenal v. Manchester City- who else is already bored? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Arsenal v. Manchester City- who else is already bored?
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, it's kind of depressing, isn't it, how the very best teams nowadays can put out reserve teams in the League Cup- even against respectable opposition, utterly disrespecting the competition, yet still managing to win comfortably away from home. I mean, look at Man Utd strolling past Crewe last night, Palace easing past Charlton and Arsenal beating Man City. It really does highlight, for me, the immense gulf between the very top teams, the ones who can pick two, or even three class players in every position, and the rest of the mediocrity you see scuffing about in the lower reaches of the Premiership.

[ 28.10.2004, 01:12: Message edited by: You Are The Ref ]

Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tee-Rex
Member # 609

- posted      Profile for Tee-Rex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, picking three goalkeepers would make it pretty unfair.

Sorry. Just saving you from the fate of nil.

Posts: 3795 | From: tomorrow, your time | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Admin 8
Member # 78

- posted      Profile for Admin 8         Edit/Delete Post 
C'mon...it was CREWE we were playing after all. We could have played eleven Ralph Milne clones and still won.
Posts: 4186 | From: The Delete Key | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogg
Member # 928

- posted      Profile for dogg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least Barcelona fielded a strong team in the Spanish cup last night against a 3rd division side, Gramanet, with Giuly, Larsson and Messi as the three forwards. The result? Gramanet won 1-0 after extra time.
Posts: 678 | From: Latitude 53.38 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the League Cup is actually more interesting that way to be honest. Arsenal Reserves may be still too strong for most teams, but they are after all less formidable than Arsenal first team so the opportunity for lower order sides to progress is undoubtedly higher which raises the excitement factor somewhat.

It's also a chance to see on television highlights some of the up and coming players from the academies that you would never get to see unless you were dedicated enough to follow that team's reserve side.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TV's 'Mr P'
Member # 164

- posted      Profile for TV's 'Mr P'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It really does highlight, for me, the immense gulf between the very top teams, the ones who can pick two, or even three class players in every position, and the rest of the mediocrity you see scuffing about in the lower reaches of the Premiership.

Except that Arsenal did exactly the same last year in the League Cup and were utterly stuffed by Middlesbrough (and similarly against Blackburn a couple of years back).

True, their youngsters looked competent last night - but Man City's performance was shameful...

Posts: 10682 | From: the vaults of the biggest record collection in the world... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Furtho
Member # 902

- posted      Profile for Furtho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, it's kind of depressing, isn't it, how the very best teams nowadays can put out reserve teams in the League Cup... I mean, look at Man Utd strolling past Crewe last night, Palace easing past Charlton and Arsenal beating Man City.

Palace win two games on the trot and they're one of the "very best teams nowadays"?

Posts: 2913 | From: The Slow Lane | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A chance for me to see ex-claret Senderos too.
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SRD
Member # 56

- posted      Profile for SRD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Arsenal reserves reached the semi-finals and lost 2-1 (Reyes scoring an own goal on his debut) and 1-0 to Middlesbrough. Whether that counts as being 'utterly stuffed' is debatable.

They did get battered by Blackburn though.

Posts: 609 | From: Kettering, UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was after we missed the match winning penalty at their place in the third round.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which you heard about second hand of course.
Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do Arsenal have any English trainees/reserves? It's just that every time someone's name was mentioned by the commentators, they then said he was from anywhere but North London.
Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Craig, I've already pointed out that that's the only time I saw them last season.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they have more Genevans than English youth...
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

er, Arsenal, that is. Not the Millers. Before anyone gets the wrong idea.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC