This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Football Books (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Football Books
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on this excerpt in today's Guardian of Adrian Chiles' book about supporting West Brom, I think it is in no danger of troubling this thread.

[ 25.07.2007, 08:52: Message edited by: ad hoc ]

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mighty Belgian
Member # 304

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Belgian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some excellent books already mentioned on here (i.e. ones I've got and also think are excellent!), but there's definitely one I'd like to add:

Der Traumhüter by Ronald Reng - it's the biography of Lars Leese, the German goalkeeper who had his moment of Premiership exposure with Barnsley, before returning to non-league football in Germany. I've only read the German version so can't vouch for the quality of the translation, but it's available in English as Keeper of Dreams. Well worth a read.

Posts: 929 | From: Walldorf (Baden) | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billy Casper
Member # 131

- posted      Profile for Billy Casper         Edit/Delete Post 
The English translation is fantastic too.
Posts: 99 | From: Baaarrnsli | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd agree with most of the usual suspects above and add 'A Season with Verona' by Tim Parks.

That's a great book, one I've read a few times now.

Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a general rule, there is a rather high inverse correlation between the quality of a player's career and the quality of his autobiography. This is due in large part to the fact that lesser players actually tend to be personally involved in the "writing" of their autobiographies, and that such books from lesser players generally never get published (or even commissioned) unless the player in question has something of interest to say.

I am taking Forza Italia with me to California this weekend.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony Cascarino and Garry Nelson have decent autobiographies (and I enjoyed Nelson's second book, about his time on the coaching staff at Torquay, just as much). Steve Claridge and Mickey Quinn's autobiographies are a bit too much like " a geezer reminisces," mind.
Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking Dunphy, Nelson, Lees, Imlach (once removed), etc. Cascarino may well have the best career/quality ratio, assuming one doesn't count Ajax, Barcelona, Cruyff, which I wouldn't.

Pretty much anything "by" an England international is going to be absolutely dire. The John Barnes book is the best that I can think of the top of my head.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belhaven
Member # 426

- posted      Profile for Belhaven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Books I've recently read.

Behind the Curtain by J. Wilson: The chapter avout Yugoslavia is very good, the Russian chapter poor, the rest is pretty OK.

Garrincha by Ruy Castro: A very good biography.

Once In A Life Time: The extraordinary story of New York Cosmos by G. Newsham: Doesn't really leave the ground, but is a decent read. Maybe the film is better.

My father and other working-class heroes by G. Imlach. Brilliant.

Ajax, The Dutch and the War by S. Kuper. The rarest of books. I know nothing about Dutch exceptionalism but found it a fascinating read. Definitely recommended.

Broken Dreams by T. Bower: A look at the dodgy dealings of English football. An updated version. The story has been told before, but is in its own terms an entertaining read.

Pele's autbiography. Starts with the immortal words "I want to thank FIFA and Sepp Blatter..". Difficult to recover from that, although the book has its interesting parts, in particular about Pele's early years at Santos.

The Roar of the Crowd by D. Ross. An analysis of a hundred years of Scottish attendance figures. A good idea, but gets too anoraky and rarely succeds the tell the story behind the figures. Still, an enormous amount of researtch has gone into the book and for those who want to impress womens with their knowledge of Scottish lower division attendance figures from the inter-war period this book is of immense value.

Posts: 966 | From: Oslo, Norway | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boris
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyone else notice how there is a lack of good books about Scottish football?
Black Diamonds and the Blue Brazil is good, but you're right, apart from that I've not really come across much decent stuff that's dedicated to scottish football.
Posts: 8617 | From: the safe house | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pete Davies book for the American market ahead of the '94 WC '22 Foreigners in Funny Shorts' is worth seeking out, especially for those of us who always wanted excellent evocative descriptions of the Cardiff v Wrexham Division 4 promotion battle of 92/93
It's a great book as it follows our promotion season , which was rare enough in itself!
Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jon/juan
Member # 1057

- posted      Profile for jon/juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Based on this excerpt in today's Guardian of Adrian Chiles' book about supporting West Brom, I think it is in no danger of troubling this thread."

True enough but I'll be buying it nonetheless. It would be rude not to. Frank Skinner's autobiography has a large chunk devoted to West Brom, as you'd imagine.

And, following reading that extract, I'll also be paying a lot more attention to New Tricks on the telly - the writer is a big Albion fan and often drops in cryptic references to them.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there has been one single book about anything to do with Welsh football that would make a must read list actually (I know, niche market, ha ha).

Awê by cubillas of this parish. The trials and tribulations of 11 Welsh football fans and their stories from watching Wales away from home. Written in the language of the heaven.

Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's more of a can't read than a "must read" for me then.

[ 25.07.2007, 11:10: Message edited by: Harry Grindell Matthews' Death Ray ]

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The John Barnes book is the best that I can think of the top of my head.
Do you mean a biog or 'Out of his Skin'?
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

I read the Chiles extract this morning and will probably end up buying it at some point as it's engaging but hardly profound or revelatory.

It left me with the impression that it might be the kind of thing I would give to my wife to try to explain myself (especially as I am currently wondering if I can break our holiday to drive to the first game of the season, as he describes).

I was going to repost it in the 'Fan snobs' thread as I think it hints at what makes regular attendance at your teams games in to a different level/type of support.

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC