This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » A-League 2007/2008 (Page 26)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29   
Author Topic: A-League 2007/2008
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apolgies for the delayed reply

Webster is useless. best remembered here for fighting with his own team mate as he walked off the pitch.

I honestly cannot remember a single other contribution.

Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phormic
Member # 550

- posted      Profile for Phormic         Edit/Delete Post 
One notable feature of Queensland's loss was the failure of their bright young things. Kruse was awful, Zullo obviously can't finish and Minniecon looks very, very, very fast but not much else.

I quite enjoyed seeing Newcastle get up until I saw an ecstatic Con Constantine - which spoiled things a bit.

So an F3 derby grand final. The battle of the bogans.

Posts: 148 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamzinho
Member # 442

- posted      Profile for Jamzinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it the F3 derby?
Posts: 220 | From: Coventry | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phormic
Member # 550

The F3 is the main highway running up the NSW coast past both the Central Coast and Newcastle. They're less than one hour apart.
Posts: 148 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care who plays but I swear to God if Andy Harper is co-commentator I will watch the World Crochet Championship on FoxSports2.

I don't think even Wingco could parody some of his gibberish. Take breath man. Even better just SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trimster
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Trimster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope the Mariners win- just to give a poke in the eye to SBS football "analyst" Craig Foster. He recently claimed that they played the most boring football in the league and didn't deserve to be in the grand final. Having no Brazilians in their squad means that the Mariners just don't meet Craig's exacting standards...

They topped the league table for almost the entire minor round and then came back from being two goals down in the first leg semi to reach the final against their local rivals.... surely that should be good enough for most people...

Posts: 317 | From: somewhere nice | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefe
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for jefe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stand corrected from earlier. RSL wants him, Colorado put a claim in first, cue minor bidding war if Reinaldo so desires.
Posts: 1511 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phormic
Member # 550

Why don't we just dispense with points tables altogether and grade teams on Craig Foster's "technical and tactical style rating"? Football games would be like going to the ballet with nothing so ugly as actual goals or trying to win games via the best means possible.

I have a fantasy of Lawrie McKinna holding the toilet seat aloft and screaming, "this one's for you Craig!" but the man has too much class.

Sasho on the other hand...

Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

SBS becoming such an irrelevance is sad, really.

Without the efforts of Les Murray and company, football in Australia would never be where it is now.

The station though is so self-important it is becoming boring.

Foster really should get out of the studio, get a coaching job and save the Australian game from the pernicious British influence he and Les so despise.

Then he could craft a team of silky skills, passing football and magnificant technique and cream his knickers at regular intervals.

Of course he knows it is a crock of shit and would rather select a target (invariably English or Scottish) for the season and snipe away.

Both should be made honorary ABE members.

[ 20.02.2008, 04:48: Message edited by: Uncle Ethan ]

Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

- posted      Profile for Melbourne Arab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have particularly strong feelings on the matter but I'm leaning slightly towards CCM because:

1. I still haven't really got to grips with the idea that the champions are the team that wins a cup final and not the league – CCM, at least, deserve to be called champions.

2. It'll piss of the Scots bashers amongst the Melbourne Victory support although no doubt we'll hear the same clichéd crap about over physical, kick and rush Scottish tactics – as if the Aussie coaches in the A League have their teams playing better football. Strangely enough, these same people didn't complain when Greece bored everyone to tears in Euro 2004.

Posts: 854 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trimster
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Trimster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... And I believe Craig Foster originally comes from the Central Coast area himself... so it is particularly sad to hear him make those comments about the Mariners. Any feelings of regional loyalty he may have once had are sacrificed for his riddiculous style agenda.

SBS never presented the NSL in such a negative light. I was recently watching some old tapes of their "On The Ball" NSL coverage from about 12-14 years ago... everything about their coverage of the NSL was upbeat and positive. They used to actually support football here, regardless of its standard.

Posts: 317 | From: somewhere nice | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rory Bunk
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Rory Bunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With all the backslapping that goes on at Foxtel though, I think it's great that we get some heated debate about football.

Fossie has been chosen by Les to bear the Johnny Warren torch which says we should play different football to what we have, and that we should aim to win the World Cup.

He does make his points in an undiplomatic and overly sweeping fashion but I'm glad that we have discussion about football in the media in this country which goes beyond team line ups and 'diving-what a blight on the game, eh'?

I think it's unfair to say that SBS are anti A-League. They are saying "Our game - how should we be playing it?" I think they are being ambitious rather than treacherous.

[ 20.02.2008, 05:49: Message edited by: Rory Bunk ]

Posts: 972 | From: The Oort cloud | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

Yes, but where's the debate?

There's a common agreement on SBS that we should all be producing some hybrid of Hungarian 50s football and the Brazilians of 1970.

Nobody ever gets up and says hang on, this is all very well but we have to play with what we have. They are just as bad as the "It's not a patch on the Premier League" brigade.

Johnny Warren was very passionate about South American football in general and Brazil in particular. Hopwever, he also saw it as a long term process to change the way kids were taught, rather than using it as a stick to beat coaches.

Rory Bunk
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Rory Bunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I believe that the debate is there - it's not happening within SBS or within Foxtel, but it's happening more between SBS and a lot of the football fraternity. As a result of Fossie's mission, there is talk about how the game should be played, even if it's just by people responding to Fossie. It is something which he has succeded in doing via his bombastic methods. Fans talk about it which I think is a good thing, even if it's just to say "Craig Foster - what a wanker".

His want to marry our natural physicality with better technique and decision making is IMO significant and positive but I can understand people being totally pissed off by him, particularly since the way he goes about things is borderline racist.

Posts: 972 | From: The Oort cloud | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the Milton Rodriguez Wiki:

quote:
He is a left-footer, an excitement machine and has two full international caps for Colombia. He arrived in Newcastle ready to make his debut in Round 4 after Visa issues prevented him and his family from entering the country.

He capped his debut for the Newcastle Jets by coming on as a substitute and scoring two goals in ten minutes making him an instant fan favourite.

He wheres a rate funny head band.

Head bands aside, what the fuck is an excitement machine? Are they calling him a dildo?
Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC