This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » A-League 2007/2008 (Page 29)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29   
Author Topic: A-League 2007/2008
Phormic
Member # 550

- posted      Profile for Phormic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Poor old Pim was there, again looking throroughly pissed off. Hardly surprising as he appeared to chucked out with the riff-raff instead being near Frank Lowy.
I'm not surprised he wasn't in the box with Uncle Frank. Apparently NSW Premier Morris Iemma and every single state and federal minister involved with sport and recreation, were being fed prawn sandwiches in there. No doubt a pow-wow about a forthcoming World Cup bid.

Now you wouldn't have seen that with Tony Labozetta in charge.

Posts: 148 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rory Bunk
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Rory Bunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With Labozetta they would have probably had some classy hookers as well.
Posts: 972 | From: The Oort cloud | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

- posted      Profile for Melbourne Arab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dealt with on the field so if the precedent holds it should be two weeks and that's it
Danny Vukovic will miss the first 14 rounds of next season's A League. He's been given a 9 month ban, plus 6 months suspended, so it will be November 24th before he can play again.

His fellow professionals should go on strike and demand the immediate sacking of Mark Shield.

Posts: 854 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trimster
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Trimster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ridiculous....looking at the replay, it looked like Vukovic was merely giving Shield a sort of fake handshake. As others have pointed out, how come Griffiths got away with jabbing a linesman in the groin earlier this season?

I doubt if Shield's position as "Australia's number 1 ref" is under threat, though. After all, he has successfully refereed World Cup finals matches without too much controversy...

As expected, Australia's anti-soccer brigade are having a bit of a field day at the moment. "The Australian" this morning is full of letters critical of both the A League grand final, and Australia's possible World Cup finals bid.

Posts: 317 | From: somewhere nice | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamzinho
Member # 442

- posted      Profile for Jamzinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re: the letters in the newspaper, that hardly a surprise is it? I can just imagine the content of them
Posts: 220 | From: Coventry | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rory Bunk
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Rory Bunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As my wife pointed out to me, the problem we have in football is that there's too much tolerance of players squaring up to a ref and telling them to fuck off or whatever, so much of the lead-up to incidents where physical harm is involved is inplace and considered acceptable.

What Vukovic did was pretty pissweak but it has crossed over that line and he needs to be harshly dealt with. But what should also happen is more severe punishment for dissent and disrespect to refs. That's one thing they do well in AFL. And if a sport full of huge aggressive blokes can avoid having players square off at refs, I think we can do it in ours.

As for the letter writers to the Australian, well those miserable cunts can write all they like but the generations which are going to bury the sour old farts get football and will continue to get it more.

[ 25.02.2008, 23:55: Message edited by: Rory Bunk ]

Posts: 972 | From: The Oort cloud | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trimster
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Trimster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... But the World Cup finals bid is a bit of a hot potato, particularly when state governments may be pressured into building new stadia that they can't really afford.

In Adelaide, Hindmarsh is still refered to by some as an "expensive white elephant" (along with the Wine Centre!) And Hindmarsh was merely an upgrade of an existing stadium.

The whole bid thing could be just a politcal stunt.....

Posts: 317 | From: somewhere nice | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any comments from our Antipodean friends on the Central Coast Mariners' idea of fancy dress?

-

-

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trimster
Member # 1178

I think the Hitler look-alike is Central Coast's German born midfielder Andy Gumprecht...

God knows what Tony Vidmar is supposed to be in the lower photo.... he has merely succeded in making himself look even older than he already is... although his face is suspiciously darker.

Newcastle's Joel Griffiths has just been voted Player of the Year... despite his assault on a linesman earlier this season. Meanwhile, our Olympic team will be going to Beijing without their no. 1 goalkeeper, thanks to Mark Sheild.....

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Hitler is in fact Gumprecht. The report I saw said that Vidmar was supposed to be Morgan Freeman's character in Bruce Almighty.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rory Bunk
Member # 779

Apparently Vidmar's nickname amongst team mates is "God", hence the get-up. From this we can only deduce what Gumprecht is known as amongst the Mariners squad.

To the left of Vidmar in the bottom picture is Grand Final red-card recipient and ref assailant Danny Vukovic. He is dressed as Corey Delaney, the "party dude" who amused people on the internet for a few minutes a couple of months ago following a party that trashed his parents' place. His subsequent appearances on tabloid current affairs shows were youtube chuckle of the day fodder a couple of months ago including on here from memory.

Great party.

Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

- posted      Profile for Melbourne Arab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sydney have signed John Aloisi on a 2 year deal worth $1.4m a year.

They must be insane.

Posts: 854 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rory Bunk
Member # 779

It certainly defies any of the charecteristic symptoms of sanity which I'm aware of. It means that John Aloisi is getting more money than anyone else in this country playing any variety of football, for 21 rounds of being less prolific than Joel Griffiths or Shane Smeltz.

Bring on the West Sydney Fibros, I say.

Phormic
Member # 550

- posted      Profile for Phormic         Edit/Delete Post 
So let's see. Aloisi signed with Mark Bridge and Simon Colosimo. There's rumblings that Stuart Musialik, who's being buggerised around by Con Constantine with his contract, may follow his mate Bridge to Sydney as well. With an injury prone Juninho rated a, "50 50 chance" of staying, I'd say a few teams will be filling their shorts about now.

A left back might be nice though.

Posts: 148 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rory Bunk
Member # 779

That Bridge release clause which Sydney have reportedly granted him is a fucking disgrace.
Let's see, he wanted a release clause where if an overseas club comes in (read: one which can afford to pay big money) for him, he can go free or on the cheap.

This is the kind of clause which allowed Sydney to sell David Carney for just over $100K, so obviously Sydney were happy to go through this process again. The stupid turds. Not that I can see Bridge fetching that much at the moment (though he seemed to return to form during the finals), but if a player's good enough, then clubs will pay the going rate for him without needing said player to parade around wearing a "cheap as chips" sign.

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC