This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Christmas Football - what was I thinking?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Christmas Football - what was I thinking?
morgan
Member # 92

- posted      Profile for morgan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today I have a ten hour round trip to Eastlands for the League Cup Quarter-Finals. It's going to be freezing up there so I shall be wearing enough clothes to resemble the Michelin Man. Man City seem so good at home these days, I'm not sure Spurs are going to be good enough to pull off the win.

It seemed like a good idea at the time of applying for the ticket.....

Oh, and I'm going up in a car with a guy I've been having a 'fling' with and we went our separate ways about three weeks ago....it's going to be painfully awkward.

Posts: 2109 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The_Liquidator
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for The_Liquidator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You morgan, are a true supporter. Respect.
Posts: 6801 | From: The city to the sticks | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hahahahahaha

morgan, my missus is expressing notions at moving down to Brighton/Hove sort of way at some point. What's the journey upto WHL like?

Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aldo Simoncini's Clean Sheet
Member # 6498

- posted      Profile for Aldo Simoncini's Clean Sheet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to the game tonight too, i'm driving with one fan of each accompanying me. It's more of a 4 hour round trip for us though. It's going to be fucking cold.
Posts: 714 | From: Anglesey, North Wales | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morgan
Member # 92

- posted      Profile for morgan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Liq.

Jason, it's 55 minutes from Brighton to Victoria. Then the usual 20 minutes on the tube and then train/walk/bus from Seven Sisters to WHL. If you drive, the journey varies from about 1.50 to 3 hours depending on the M25 anti-clockwise (this time of year it's a mare because of Bluewater/Lakeside shoppers).

Aldo, enjoy the match tonight! Bet they run out of Bovril...

Posts: 2109 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoebe Disco
Member # 46

- posted      Profile for Phoebe Disco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These things are always a great idea, Morgan. I remember doing likewise for a League Cup game in November up at Newcastle, despite the fact they were taking it seriously and we weren't. It was cold, it rained, I had a vertigo attack when trying to help my mate put his flag up, and we were 4-0 down at half time.

So, er, enjoy yourself. And pretend to sleep for as much of the journey as possible. Unless you're driving.

Posts: 14959 | From: the heart of a deviancy amplification spiral | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Went to the game, too.

Morgan, cold and awkward or not, you'll have enjoyed your trip home a lot more than I did.

Spurs very impressive, we were bloody awful.

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aldo Simoncini's Clean Sheet
Member # 6498

- posted      Profile for Aldo Simoncini's Clean Sheet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, 'twas a delightful night!
Posts: 714 | From: Anglesey, North Wales | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Spurs very impressive
Yeah, they seem to have that two-footed, studs-up challenge nailed.
Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The_Liquidator
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for The_Liquidator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She'll be waking up from her little love nest any second now....
Posts: 6801 | From: The city to the sticks | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Late hotel booking in Mancunia I'd wager.
Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paxton Sprout
Member # 2169

- posted      Profile for Paxton Sprout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The City of Manchester stadium is all very nice but it lacks the essentials like a range of decent pubs nearby. ASDA and McDonalds do not count.

Greater Manchester's finest we're able to direct us to some old boozer called 'Champagne Charlie's' which had a banner proclaiming visiting fans welcome. And it was true.

I noticed (tee hee) that on the way home after the game the banner had been taken down.

A long old trip home but not even encountering some horrible looking goons in Stafford services couldn't dampen the mood.

Posts: 497 | From: where I'm standing behind the goal that was clearly offside | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paxton, you should have made your intentions clear and I would have pointed you to the Marble Arch, a regular pre-match haunt of mine.

Hobbes, indeed Spurs were pretty aggressive and had the run of things decision wise (Malbranque staying on the field, the Dunne penalty incident) but they were very good value for their win. They closed us down superbly and Berbatov was a constant threat up front. The seat I had last night was near to the pitch so I got a very good close-up view of Berbatov - and it was a pleasure to watch a player like this. His first touch and close ball skills are sublime.

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paxton Sprout
Member # 2169

- posted      Profile for Paxton Sprout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JP - I figured there must be some good pubs nearby but cold, dark, strange territory wasn't the time for searching. Next time I'll seek local assistance.... Cheers.

The pub we found was OK. Had a back room for City Supporters Club named after Marc Vivien Foe which I thought was a nice touch.

TBH I was (and still am a bit) shocked how good we were. As soon as Zokora went off I thought we'd fold. Perhaps if we'd conceded we would have done.

Posts: 497 | From: where I'm standing behind the goal that was clearly offside | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morgan
Member # 92

Hurrah! It was well worth the trip in the end! A fantastic performance from Spurs, two in a week, wonders will never cease!

Got back at 3.10am but I didn't feel tired at all, amazing what a win does, especially away from home.

Got on really well with the ex too, very little in the way of awkwardness so I'm hoping that our friendship will survive okay.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC