This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » those horrid horrid Tottenham fans... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: those horrid horrid Tottenham fans...
fritz in a fez
Member # 911

- posted      Profile for fritz in a fez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have been very nasty to poor little Sol Campbell.

It's all so unfair after all he's given his whole career to football.

Twat.

Posts: 4815 | From: London | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan
Member # 39

- posted      Profile for Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Twats. It's a plural.

HTH

Posts: 10341 | From: London Overground | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gonzo
Member # 1592

- posted      Profile for Gonzo         Edit/Delete Post 
Or a picture would be a mural?
Posts: 2962 | From: The Pale, Erin | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...?
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morgan
Member # 92

- posted      Profile for morgan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
aah well, he shouldn't have bitten the hand that fed should he?

My heart bleeds.

Posts: 2109 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The 7th Baron Bartok
Member # 959

- posted      Profile for The 7th Baron Bartok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the details of the circumstances of Campbell's departure from Spurs. Generally, though, I deplore the OTT venom showered on ex-players who defect to intense local rivals. I don't hate Alan Smith, for example, or Rio "Pimpmaster" Ferdinand.

I reckon real venom should be reserved for cases where players' moves have really aggravating features, like the way that loathsome greedy bastard Kewell and his agent totally f*cked Leeds United financially.

Posts: 4840 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Campbell says people in few other professions would have to put up with their customers shouting abuse at them while they were working, but then very few other professionals would get away with screaming obscenities at each other while they were working, gesticulating madly and screaming in frustration when the audit inspector pointed out an error in their work, or dancing around and kissing each other in front of their competitors every time they secured a deal.

If footballers in general want to be treated with more respect they could start by behaving with a bit more dignity themselves. To be fair, of course, Campbell is one of the less demonstrative ones.

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Spurs received no money for Campbell when he left, to a club he had said he would never play for. Hence the bitterness.
Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoebe Disco
Member # 46

- posted      Profile for Phoebe Disco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's a difference between abuse and "and we don't give a fuck if you're hanging from a tree, you judas cunt with HIV".
Posts: 14959 | From: the heart of a deviancy amplification spiral | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morgan
Member # 92

- posted      Profile for morgan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To add to Goldstone97's post above, he was with Spurs since schoolboy and went onto first team football, become the Club Captain and represent England at full international level.

He implied many many times that he would sign a new contract, said he wouldn't leave time and time again, and then did a Bosman and signed for Spurs' rivals, leaving Spurs to find a new central defender and new Captain with no money.

Thankfully for Spurs, they found an even better defender from the youth set up in Ledley King. However, that does not excuse the lying Judas behaviour of Sol Campbell.

Posts: 2109 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Campbell clearly treated Spurs very shabbily. Though I'm not sure if any footballer has been on the receiving end of as many hateful and homophobic songs as Campbell has from Spurs fans. Singing "We don't give a fuck if you're swinging from a tree/You're a judas cunt with HIV" is kind of hard to justify as banter really isn't it.
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or a mountain range would be a Ural?
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gerontophile
Member # 954

- posted      Profile for gerontophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
for £40k a week, you can say whatever you want about me: I wouldnt give a fuck. Sol is probably right, that he and others get a lot of stick and probably shouldnt, but suck it up. Players behave like twats and then when they are treated in that way, instantly head for high dudgeon. It is a wee bit of surprise that its Sol who has first. I would have thought Beckham got more shit in '98 than Sol ever will.

Its a difficult thing to call on. Campbell has been treated like shit for a few years, for one reason or another, but I cant remember (although a N Other poster will surely remind me) him behaving in anyway other than gentlemanly, transfers notwithstanding. He is being a little primadonna-ish, and maybe he is weary of it, but he only has another couple of years with his million a year salary to go before he can sit back and say "fuck you" back to everyone who slated.

It's not nice, it's probably not moral, but it's part of the game. There are some things you shouldnt sing say, but in the heat of the moment you probably will anyway. When the interview was on Radio 2 today (from Radio 4), he did say it wasnt about racism, but didnt mention about the homophobia, which I only learned thanks to threads here a while back.

Please wash my mouth out with soap and flog me with birch, but I agree with David Mellor today, who may have spoken sense for the one and only time in his life.

(I havent really taken my time over this, so I may have to edit bits sorry... but the gist is what I think)

Posts: 2278 | From: the nightflight to Venus | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To add to Goldstone97's post above, he was with Spurs since schoolboy and went onto first team football, become the Club Captain and represent England at full international level.

Tottenham gave him a medium to develop his skills and his career. Tottenham paid him money. Campbell gave them years of excellent performances. I think it's called an exchange of services that carries on for as long as both parties want it to. Had Campbell dramatically lost form and ceased to be an asset then Tottenham would have been unlikely to show undue loyalty would they.

quote:
He implied many many times that he would sign a new contract, said he wouldn't leave time and time again, and then did a Bosman and signed for Spurs' rivals, leaving Spurs to find a new central defender and new Captain with no money.
I'm sure he was hanging on to see if there was any chance that Tottenham could offer him the platform he was entitled to expect as an international player wanting to win trophies. They couldn't, he outgrew them just like Torres outgrew Atletico Madrid or any number of other players have done when moving from smaller to bigger clubs. Why should he be held back as a result.

As every other player is entitled to leave his contract at its expiry, why should Campbell be not entitled to the same consideration ? I bet you'd be pretty happy if Tottenham picked up a talented player for free on a Bosman at some other club's expense, it's double standards really isn't it.

quote:
Thankfully for Spurs, they found an even better defender from the youth set up in Ledley King.

This is as debateable as the rest of your post.
Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gerontophile
Member # 954

- posted      Profile for gerontophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok, its not the same thing, but when Henrik Larsson's contract expired, he went to Barcelona, came back to Celtic, scored, and didnt get a single word of shit.

OK, Celtic didnt make him the player he was, and maybe/probably he would have been as good eventually anywhere, but the Celtic fans knew that they were in the presence of class, and took it.

Campbell was mainly very very good for Tottenham. I think the Spurs fans probably would agree. What they cant take is him going to Arsenal (self-edited "Azrael" there). Was Pat Jennings subjected to the same thing?

Posts: 2278 | From: the nightflight to Venus | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC