This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » All hail to West Brom! (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: All hail to West Brom!
jon/juan
Member # 1057

- posted      Profile for jon/juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quick rule query that's been bugging me this past few days. In last Saturday's FA Cup game against Charlton, Dean Keily, the West Brom keeper was asked to change his jersey as both keepers are not allowed to wear green. Why the fuck not and when was this rule brought in? Back in the day every keeper used to wear green.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoebe Disco
Member # 46

- posted      Profile for Phoebe Disco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it in case one of the keepers goes up for a last minute corner?
Posts: 14959 | From: the heart of a deviancy amplification spiral | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jon/juan
Member # 1057

- posted      Profile for jon/juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's what I'd hazard a guess at too PD. But obviously it wasn't in place back when all keepers wore green.

I guess what really disturbs me is that this rule has obviously been brought in in the last 20 years or so and no-one saw fit to tell me.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sidjames
Member # 1086

- posted      Profile for sidjames     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else watching this?

Superb goal on the break by Kevin Phillips after 2 minutes.

Posts: 690 | From: a different hemisphere | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barndoorio
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Barndoorio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watford's bubble has truly popped, it's like a horrible rerun of the last Graham Taylor season all over again, surge clear of Fulham(West Brom) get caught around christmas and finish mid table.
Posts: 5360 | From: Glorious Taunton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The cantering captain
Member # 942

- posted      Profile for The cantering captain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4-1 ? At home ? to Leicester ??? You west midland fops might enjoy spending your saturday afternoons applauding intricate midfield passing moves, bicycle pass backs to the keeper, and generally farting around like a fat phalanx of flatulent fancydan fanny merchants, but some of us are trying to avoid relegation, and this kind of thing IS NOT HELPING.
Posts: 1476 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barndoorio
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Barndoorio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What on earth is going on in the Championship, everyone is determined not to get promoted. It's bizzare, Watford have drawn 6 games in a row and yet if they win their game in hand on Stoke and Bristol they'll go top, with the caveat that 4-1 loss makers yesterday West Brom can go top if they win their 2 games in hand. All very odd, an none of the mediocre dross behind seem to be catching up at any useful pace.

Derby might be seem like magic compared to this lot next season.

Posts: 5360 | From: Glorious Taunton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barndoorio
Member # 69

What on earth is going on in the Championship, everyone is determined not to get promoted. It's bizzare, Watford have drawn 6 games in a row and yet if they win their game in hand on Stoke and Bristol they'll go top, with the caveat that 4-1 loss makers yesterday West Brom can go top if they win their 2 games in hand. All very odd, an none of the mediocre dross behind seem to be catching up at any useful pace.

Derby might be seem like magic compared to this lot next season.

Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe there's an unacknowledged feeling that going up is not a particularly good thing? Battling it out at the top of Step 2 has got to be more fun than desperately trying to finish 17th in the Prem. No club's management would do it but I've occasionally wondered what would happen if a team refused promotion. Would the sky fall?
Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ian .64
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for ian .64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4-1 ? At home ? to Leicester ??? You west midland fops might enjoy spending your saturday afternoons applauding intricate midfield passing moves, bicycle pass backs to the keeper, and generally farting around like a fat phalanx of flatulent fancydan fanny merchants, but some of us are trying to avoid relegation, and this kind of thing IS NOT HELPING.

(1) That's the trouble: the intricate passing, bicycle pass backs and general flatulent fannying about are becoming worryingly conspicuous by their continued and growing absence, and (2) if Scunthorpe weren't so poor they wouldn't be down there hoping other teams do the job of getting them out the crapper. Sorry, chief.

I didn't go to the Leicester match (I cringed at home, pop pickers), but I went to the previous three home matches and was alarmed at the breakdown of creativity that's making it's presence felt post-Christmastime. It's becoming like a season of two halves, with this remaining half of the season seeming almost as if we're paying the price for most of those good times we had prior to the turn of the year. You've had yer fun, matey, and that's yer lot.

I think Mowbray, through his bizarre Rafa-like devotion to rotation, has gone up himself bigtime, and it gives me absolutely no pleasure to say that, because for most of this season he's only put a foot wrong on a small number of occasions, and been exceptional most of the time. Sadly, he's mistiming his steps on a regular basis right now, and although there's still a promotion campaign being kept alive (it ain't all over yet - with this and an FA Cup semi-final in the offing), everything just feels as if it's teetering on the brink of collapse.

And as if fate were putting the mockers on it, the best prospect in a creaky defence - an ever-improving Luke Barnett - gets hamstring injury. Fucketty fuck, as Hugh used to put it.

[ 17.03.2008, 08:25: Message edited by: ian .64 ]

Posts: 9378 | From: Wolverhampton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoebe Disco
Member # 46

- posted      Profile for Phoebe Disco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think everyone's trying to make sure Watford go up, so they don't have to put their fans through 90 minutes* of anti-football twice a season.

(Well, about 30 if you ignore the five minutes spent over each and every throw in and time spent for the physio being on the pitch after every tackle).

Posts: 14959 | From: the heart of a deviancy amplification spiral | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jon/juan
Member # 1057

It's taken me nearly a week to summon the courage to open this thread, such were the mental scars inflicted by last weekend's game.

Amor make a good point, about teams not wanting to go up. I have thought several times this season that ambling around the top 6 of the Championship, playing good football and winning most of your home games is infiinitely superior to the spectre of life in the Premiership.

Anyway, we're away at the Valley today. I'm not hopeful and, given our injuries I'd just be happy if we got through the game unscathed.

jon/juan
Member # 1057

1-1 half time. As Ian said, no sign of the flowing football of earlier in the season.

Redknapp and Joe Jordan are in the stands. Maybe playing this shit is going to lull them into a false sense of security for the semi.

Janik
Member # 54

- posted      Profile for Janik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1-1 at the end as well. Not much help to either club.
Posts: 6487 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jon/juan
Member # 1057

Too right. My only hope is that all other challenging teams slip up again tomorrow.

A better second half than first half, it has to be said.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC