This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » He could have been a contender. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: He could have been a contender.
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, fair enough. Bye bye Celestine you useless, uninterested bugger.
Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Otto Katz
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Otto Katz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Could never understand why Newcastle fans held Bernard in such high regard -- he looked a very dodgy defender whenever I saw him play. Any half-decent winger would have fancied his chances against him.
Bernard was brilliant. You have to remember that he was defending for two as he had that lazy bugger Robert in front of him. He was also good going forward, a delightful finish on the end of a flowing move to score the winner against Chelsea is particularly fondly remembered.

He also had a tendency to get on the receiving end of some pretty horrendous challenges. How is it that some players always seem to - through no fault of their own - invite those?

And he's also fondly remembered for this.

[ 04.02.2008, 09:32: Message edited by: Otto Katz ]

Posts: 2909 | From: the examining of the entrails of sacrificial geese | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucy Waterman It Be
Member # 1075

- posted      Profile for Lucy Waterman It Be     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard was fucking clownshoes.
Posts: 2972 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smallweed
Member # 1692

- posted      Profile for smallweed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about Martin Hayes?
Posts: 1606 | From: John McGlynn's bouncy army | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
They
Member # 545

- posted      Profile for They     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Gregory broke Sasa Curcic, just like he broke Alan Thompson. He was a massive player in the 1995 Bolton side, then went to Villa for £4 million and was underused.

I remember seeing him destroy Chelsea that even Gullitt called him an execptional talent.

Curcic was also remembered by Bolton fans because of his yellow Saab, which he used to drive around, playing Wham! on his stereo criminally loudly.

Whatever happened to that young lad who was in the Ajax academy in the late 80s, that was always on telly over here? Sonny Somethingorother? Originally though it was Sonny Mann, but that's an actor. If it's Sonny Ball, he managed to go from Ajax to Wycombe quite quickly if so, but can't see any information about Ajax on that lad's profile.

Posts: 1000 | From: The Mouthes Of Babes Come Burps | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sonny Pike, lost his mind and jacked the whole thing in.

Did Ronnie O'Brien ever show potential, or was the whole thing a wind-up?

Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Skeleton
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for Bob Skeleton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sonny Pike?

Last I heard of Sasa Curcic, he was quitting the game to concentrate on satisfying women or something crazy like that.

Posts: 395 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

Wise choice for the modern millionaire.
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sonny Pike story.

O'Brien has done quite well in MLS when he hasn't been injured (though Gramsci and the Toronto FC crowd may differ), but seems never to have recovered from the entire Juventus hype and his subsequent role as the favourite son of Irish people who delight in fixing internet polls (O'Brien "won" both Time's "Person of the Century" and Juve's "Player of the Century").

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had a few at Cardiff. Jason Fowler springs to mind but the one that really sticks out for me is Lee Jarman.

He was massively hyped amongst Cardiff fans for, as far as I could see, one great pass out of defence once (The 1927 club lot will correct me on this assumption, I am sure)

In saying that, he was definitely a good player, played for the Under 21s and could have been nurtured into a reasonably regular Welsh squad player at least.

I can't remember whether he was particularly struck by injury but he went onto Exeter and then Oxford and is now at Newport at 30.

The reason that he sticks out for me is that he was named in a Welsh semi-pro team, which I wouldn't mind, but must be a bit galling for a player that could have played for Wales. He was in the same team as an emerging Paul Parry which is interesting

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mafu
Member # 1663

- posted      Profile for mafu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
marcus stewart was never a bright young thing at ipswich. he was about 30 when he left
Posts: 255 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for Alania Vladikavkaz Satie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marcus Stewart left Ipswich for Sunderland but his time at top flight football was already behind him. His speed/mobility was non-existent following a bad injury. Initially we thought we'd been mugged.
Following relegation with from the prem with Reid/ Wilkinson/ McCarthy He helped McCarthys team go out in the playoffs to a dodgy goal V Palace and lose to Millwall in the FA Cup final. He had his heart set on a move to boyhood favourites Bristol City. This was delayed by a season in which he was top scorer in a Sunderland team that won the CCC title. He then requested NOT to be forced to play in the Prem as he knew it was beyond him. Bristol City seemed beyond him as well as he was sent on loan to a few clubs during the following season.
The suspicion at Sunderland was that Reids number one target was Tore Andre Flo and Stewart only approached in case that deal fell through. Unfortunately the Flo deal was clinched on the final day of the transfer window and due to a communications breakdown the Stewart deal was done as well.
Still the boy done good for us eventually.

Posts: 1754 | From: The Magic Carpet. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC