This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » The Battle of Old Trafford (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Battle of Old Trafford
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've not seen any of this game yet, I'm looking forward to the highlights on MOTD. From what Sir Alex Ferguson's saying to the bbc, though, here , it sounds as though Portsmouth completely kicked United's players off the park from the first to the last, and the referee was powerless to stop them.

It's a shame if football's gone back to the brutal days of the 1960s.

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mafu
Member # 1663

- posted      Profile for mafu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i watched it, (or at least had half an eye on it). it didnt seem a particulary dirty or rough game. ronaldo drew a few fouls but then he often does
Posts: 255 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The 7th Baron Bartok
Member # 959

- posted      Profile for The 7th Baron Bartok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha ha! Excellent, Rogin!
Posts: 4840 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobW
Member # 1522

- posted      Profile for RobW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Harry Redknapp was one of the managers who refused to talk to the BBC post match? Has he had a sudden change of heart, or did I just imagine that?

I'm surprised United aren't making more of a fuss about the penalty awarded against them.

Posts: 1196 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I must admit, the only two blatant fouls I saw in the highlights package were the obvious one by the United 'keeper that led to the penalty, and a dreadful studs-up slide in "tackle" by Rooney in the first half that attracted a yellow card but actually should have been a red.

Obviously the evil bbc has edited this game in such a way that those who were actually at the match would not recognise, Sir Alex included.

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think United were slightly hard-done by for the Ronaldo non-pen and the Portsmouth actual one.

Which a) only makes it funnier and b) doesn't stop Ferguson sounding like the pathetic embittered overgrown child that he's always been.

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ed 209
Member # 760

- posted      Profile for Ed 209     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
United will go out to the first strong team they face in the Champions' League.
Posts: 142 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Moral Animal.
Member # 717

- posted      Profile for The Moral Animal.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the two penalty incidents were a bit harsh, but Rooney's studs-up dive was worse than anything that Ronaldo suffered. Queiroz referencing Martin Taylor was a bit low, as well.
Posts: 2235 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed E10 - Baros was lucky, and I can't get my head around a player who'd rather get a penalty when one on one than try and score.
Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
05 Jan 2005

quote:
Even from 18 yards back, the linesman would surely have seen it was over the line but he appeared to have his head down as he sprinted back to make up ground. Spurs manager Martin Jol compared this to the 1966 controversy. Nowhere near, that was debatable.

Opposite number Ferguson said these things tend to even themselves out in football.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article210848.ece

Sunday, 14 November, 2004

quote:
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson said his team were rightly awarded a penalty at Newcastle.

"Paul Scholes was brought down," said Ferguson, who felt his team should have been awarded at least one spot kick against Manchester City last week.

"But what I said before the game is right, the breaks even themselves out over a season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/4006361.stm
Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't a dirty game at all. And that includes the Rooney challenge. Rooney went for the ball while no Portsmouth player was in possession of it. By the time Rooney arrived, the ball was long gone. Terrible timing, but it wasn't even a tackle.

The sending off was pure comedy. I don't think I've ever seen a player being sent off four "bringing down" his opponent with his head.

Still, eh? Nobody ever gets a penalty at Old Trafford.

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
E10 spot on, there.
Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I've said on here many times before it doesn't matter if the player actually contacts the player he fouls, or which part of his anatomy he does or doesn't contact him with. If the fouling player rushes headlong into a space from where the fouled player can only escape collision by either losing his balance or disadvantaging himself significantly then that's a foul. Attacking players should not have to wait and stand still until the fouling player smashes them in the face or breaks their leg to get a decision.
Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll remember that next time there's debate over CRonaldo going down too easily.
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

Absolutely. The "going down too easily" comment should really only be applied as a euphemism for those situations where a player, if you like, proactively launches himself into mid-air when an opposition player is adjacent to him, but not actually impeding him. Like this for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ochcQ56Es

If you're reactively getting out of the way of someone who is unfairly impeding your progress that should draw the sanction whether you get hit or not. I think the player in this incident has more of a case, though he does make the most of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1I3Ve0hC7I

I think the ref adjudged he had started taking off regardless of whether or not he was actually impeded.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC