This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Jimmy Greenhoff (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Jimmy Greenhoff
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a sad tale.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad - I remember with affection Jimmy, and indeed his brother, playing for Leeds.
Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for The Purple Cow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I was great at the Blues too. He had to leave because he had an affair with Freddy Pickering's wife, which caused some distress in the changing room at the time, but he was a class player.

(Or possibly it was Pickering who had an affair with Greenhoff's wife, but either way...)

Posts: 5801 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadsworth cloud
Member # 1513

- posted      Profile for shadsworth cloud     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, how is it sad? he has a job working nights at a pharmaceutical company and has his wife and son and grandson to support him.
full respect to the bloke, he had some great years in the 70's - and clearly some bad times in the 80's - but now lives a unremarkable life much like the rest of us.
there are people more deserving of symapthy than JG

Posts: 183 | From: blackburn | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
there are people more deserving of symapthy than JG
I hate this argument. It stinks like KFC.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Gordon Taylor actually was a man of substance, things like this wouldn't happen. The PFA should support old players who missed out on the land of milk and honey, but, er, they don't.
Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All I can say is that if I had been left out of a single FA Cup game, I would have knocked on the manager's door and asked why. I think Wayne Rooney is the same. He looks angry every time he is so much as substituted
What Jimmy Greenhoff fails to appreciate is that Wayne Rooney looks angry at all times, probably even when he's spurting his starchy deposit inside Coleen McLoughlin's grateful snatch.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I'm trying to eat a bowl of cereal here.
Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Especially then.
Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobW
Member # 1522

- posted      Profile for RobW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Enduring image, isn't it? Hmmm? Marvellous.

Just as well I wasn't drinking my coffee whilst reading that, otherwise it would be all over my screen.

Posts: 1196 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The cantering captain
Member # 942

- posted      Profile for The cantering captain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't blame him for being annoyed if he was substituted doing that.
Posts: 1476 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am somewhat with Shadsworth here.

When I saw the thread, I thought "Fucking hell, Jimmy Greenhoff's died" but there was a story about a man that had a good football career and, seemingly, made some bad or unlucky business decisions which resulted in him losing his house and has worked in less glamorous jobs ever since.

As with anyone else, it is terribly sad that he has lost his house in such circumstances but he appears to still have his health and is able to work and, as pointed out has the support of his family and still has memorabilia from his career.

To be fair to the bloke, apart form the Macari dusputed goal, he is being quite positive and not really moaning about it but, just because he was a successful footballer and similar people are paid a lot more presently, he isn't a more special case than many people who have had businesses fail

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

quote:
he isn't a more special case than many people who have had businesses fail
Yes he is. He's scored a cup final goal against the Scousers.

It's the same rationale I use when my girlfriend asks me how come I love Eric Cantona more than her. She was devastated when Barnsley knocked Liverpool out of the cup as it meant yet another year in Eric's shadow.

Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I don't know how Liverpool can bear to play on in the the face of the blinding glare of all Eric Cantona's European Cup medals.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She was devastated when Barnsley knocked Liverpool out of the cup as it meant yet another year in Eric's shadow.
Was she hoping to score the winner against Liverpool in the final?
Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC