This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » So, Halifax

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So, Halifax
boris
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some stupid reason I'm going to be up in darkest Yorkshire on Saturday, so is there anything worth doing (like, really, a pub that sells decent food and beer) for an hour before the match? Come to that, is there anything worth doing there at any time ever?
Posts: 8617 | From: the safe house | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danger Mouse
Member # 111

- posted      Profile for Danger Mouse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes, although not strictly speaking in Halifax, The Works is a pub in Elland that does decent beer. Market Porter-esque in terms of constantly changing beer. Landlord, I seem to recall, is the house ale. Good for food too.

Probably taxi ride to/from ground (to be honest, whenever I've been I've never really been concentrating on how to get from A to B), but can't imagine it'll be very much.

Posts: 2176 | From: Baker Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's some damn fine pubs in Halifax. Can't remember the names of the top of my head, mind...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have a mooch round The Piece Hall.

If you have kids with you, Eureka! is good fun.

Admire the view.

That's it.

Edit: Oh, you said pub for an hour. Ignore what I just posted then. There were good pubs in Halifax the last time I was there, but I can't remember any off the top of my head and they've probably all been turned into shitty bars now.

[ 18.03.2008, 16:41: Message edited by: Cavalry Trouser Tips ]

Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same probleme for me, I went to a couple of pretty good pubs not far from the ground, one of them was at a junction when you walk from the train station to the ground, excellent choice of ales. Just look for the Camra sign really...
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Shears was good the last time I was there, and one called, I think, The Two Pigeons.

Cracking away trip Halifax, and now with a great big proper covered away terrace.

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before I'd been there, I imagined Halifax to be a bit of a dump, but it's actually a really pleasant surprise: lovely setting and rather charming town.
Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pretend Best Friend
Member # 3223

- posted      Profile for Pretend Best Friend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Halifax is excellent, same as everyone else I haven't been there for a few years, but it's a cracking away trip.
Posts: 408 | From: The Office, Slough | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC