This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Getting back to the Middle of the Road

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Getting back to the Middle of the Road
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is time to rehabilitate those pop geniuses that were Middle of the Road.

If you were about 5 or 6 when MotR were big, you'll remember the thrill of hearing such classics as Chirpy Chep Cheep, Sacramento, Bottom's Up and (my favourite of theirs) Soley Soley.

It was even better than Mamy Blue. MotR deserve to be cool again. (In fact, the badly scratched copy of their Grratest Hits I picked up for the equivalent of 8p did become an ironic conversation piece once).

Tomorrow: Why "Rock The Boat" and "Sad Sweet Dreamer" are two of pop's most neglected records.

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imp
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for imp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah G-ster, while we're on the subject of your appalling taste, I'm getting a soul-freak friend of mine to do me a decent latter-day R&B compilation tape, just to try and open up the odd closed corner or two of my extremely tolerant head. I'll keep you updated on its contents and, of course, my reaction.
Posts: 4427 | From: such great heights | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Willie1Foot
Member # 18

- posted      Profile for Willie1Foot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"it's just one of those things you put down to ex-peer-ee-ence!"

Reminds me of my first love. She was from Bedworth, which some of my friends at the time found rather amusing......

Posts: 3221 | From: the shores of Botany Bay | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMP, and if you ever need a tape of dodgy 70s music, I'll be happy to help.

Actually, my recent references to Barry Manilow and Middle of the Road have to do with my rather pathetic quest to recreate a soundtrack to my childhood. To that effect, I'm collating MP3 files, sorting them by year. Naturally, Bazza Concorde-nose and MotR feature in such an undertaking (which reflects my taste then, not now, I hasten to add).

There's something at once consoling and disconcerting about hearing Mamy Blue (or some of the German-language bleatings, about which abedi might know!), not with a critic's ear -- to which that song would be offensive -- but with a sense of nostalgia. Maybe imagining at the same time a childhood friend, game, toy or piece of clothing.

I'll post a list of nostalgic shockers in due course.

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MOTR- quite simply the best pop band to come out of early 70s Scotland. G-Man, I love you almost as much as I do Sally Carr. You even left out the truly magnificent 'Tweedledee Tweedledum'!
Posts: 3478 | From: the Underworld | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
<Les>
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing MotR on Top of the Pops - that blond chick looked great in hot pants!

Once in a while a 'Middle of the Road' act comes up with a great record. I think "Too Much, Too Little, Too Late" by Johnny Mathis and Denice Williams is a fine record. There have to be others out there.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Middle Of The Road have to be respected for the best football chant ever, the timeless "Where's yer caravan? WHERE'S YER CARAVAN?" It was so nice to be able to use it against Argentina.

My contribution to the obscure 70s classic list; 'Girls' by The Moments & Whatnauts.

Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. Arrival..."We all have friends who have friends by the river, they all have friends who have friends of their own." ....Whoooa, really heavy man!

The bass player later joined George Frazier's back-up band dunno what happened to the rest.

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC