This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Current favourites (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Current favourites
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ZZ, what do make to Plan B? He's been absolutely slated for his "acoustic grime" everywhere, with it's "sub-Eminem" lyrics. And yet, and yet- although they become somewhat predictable, his lyrics are brilliantly crafted, I love the way he's talking all this disgusting shit in neatly crafted metre and rhyme. I think he's incredibly talented, actually, but not putting it to best use, yet.

I was talking to Tim, that bloke who used to be in Orlando, and he had a very succinct summary of Plan B- "he certainly knows how to swear".

Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ibex Trounce
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Ibex Trounce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the fact that he undermines his own amorality and keeps doubling back on himself all the time - therefore very similar to Eminem's outlook; you have to listen to and absorb his stuff on several levels.

My initial feeling on first hearing "Sick 2 Def" was: what a bugger that Johnny Cash isn't around to cover it. Can't really recall hearing anything like it before, except maybe "Autobiography Of A Crackhead" (and will SOMEONE do something about getting the SUAD back catalogue out on CD again plz?), but this goes further and actually did put the shit up me, which I guess was his intention.

Posts: 1319 | From: helm hard-a-port | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha. What a fantastic point about Johnny Cash.

Yes, of course, he keeps doubling back on himself, makin you aware of how deliberate this amoral delivery is. This sounds tediously post-modern of course, but it generates some moments of real frisson. Sick 2 Def, his story of a murder told backwards, ends with that line "and he puts the CD back in the case, there's a picture of me on the cover"- that's a great little moment that. I can't say it put the shit up me as such, but I did have a certain "don't go there" feeling which is pretty rare these days.

People of OTF, I quite recommend searching out and sampling some of his Plan B's stuff. It's weird.

Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back again.

The Pipettes - Dirty Mind (which sounds like the B-52s covering E=MC2)
The Mavis's - Snow White Line
The Fall - Free Range
Dr Dre & Snoop Dogg - Still D.R.E.
Bass-O-Matic - Fascinating Rhythm
Curve - I Feel Love
Lee Moses - Reach Out, I'll Be There (Northern Soul Hammond organ cover)
Gnarls Barkley - Crazy
Tegan & Sara vs Mylo - Walking With A Ghost In Paris

[ 05.11.2005, 14:57: Message edited by: Crusoe ]

Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Wiz
Member # 197

- posted      Profile for Joe Wiz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Subways "Oh Yeah"
Editors "Munich"
Girls Aloud "Biology"
John Legend "Ordinary People"
Wings "Bluebird"

Posts: 656 | From: Essex | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitter Happier
Member # 172

- posted      Profile for Fitter Happier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wilderness- Post Plethoric Rhetoric
Black Mountain- No Hits
iLiKETRAiNS- A Rook House For Bobby
Kitchens of Distinction- On Tooting Broadway Station
Dangermouse & Jemini- The Only One
Charlambides- Here Not Here
Battles- SZ2
Afrirampo- I Did Are
Animal Collective- Purple Indian
Jamie Lidell- Multiply
Love Ends Disaster!- Ginko Disco
Olivia Tremor Control- Define A Transparent Dream
Roxy Music- For Your Pleasure
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum- Sleep Is Wrong

Posts: 2717 | From: her to eternity | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FOr someone who considers himself "Down with the kids" I'm terrified by how many of these bands I have never heard of. Go on Crusoe, be honest. You look up obscure titles and post them here knowing full well we'll be baffled.

Current listening for me

Depeche Mode - John the Revelator
Feeder - Buck Rogers
BIg Black - Kerosene

But mainly I listen to albums.

Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GIK
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for GIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Making 5 year old boys dance like spazzes:

Bang Bang Rock and Roll - Art Brut
Tender Buttons - Broadcast
Rehearsing my choir - Fiery Furnaces
Cat Spectacular - Bearsuit
Demon - Envelopes

and a few other bits and bobs

Posts: 5389 | From: Cheshire with Love | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hobbes - my shameful secret is that I've only ever heard the songs I list for these bands - about one song each. Ask me to name an album or anything else they've done and I'd be stumped.
Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, of course, he keeps doubling back on himself, makin you aware of how deliberate this amoral delivery is. This sounds tediously post-modern of course, but it generates some moments of real frisson.
"The whole controversy is preposterous. The killings are obviously ironic..."
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

Ha, indeed. I read back what I'd written today and it's very hamfisted.

It's a great track though.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC