This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Teeth, hair & money

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Teeth, hair & money
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VH1 showed a concert by The Osmonds, recorded by Germany's Beat Club in the early 70s.

I was fascinated. I knew very little by the Osmonds ("Love Me For a Reason" and Donny's solo stuff, basically). They were proper glam rock and, in parts, pretty funky motherfuckers. There was talent there, and I had a sense that this bunch of toothy Mormons actually knew what they were doling musically.

I wouldn't buy (or download) an Osmonds album; they weren't that good. But, hell, I have discovered some respect for them. Even for Donny (whose recent single samples George Benson's "Breezin'" and is quite good).

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pietro Paolo Virdis
Member # 776

- posted      Profile for Pietro Paolo Virdis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sober, G-Man?
Posts: 19677 | From: San Siro | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very much so. And deadly serious. And yet, had someone on Friday posted what I wrote here, I might have asked the very same question.
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GIK
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for GIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly, for someone who despises 'glam' in every way imaginable, I do own a copy of 'Crazy Horses' which is still one of the most WHAT THE FUCK! singles of all time. Magnified by about 17 when you realise it's the Osmonds.
Posts: 5389 | From: Cheshire with Love | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm prepared to bet that at least one music journalist will shortly be on this thread to opine something along the lines of "Hell, yeah, the Osmonds rock, and anyone who doesn't agree quite clearly knows nothing about rock and roll"
Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, yeah, the...

Nope, I can't do it. (I do love "Crazy Horses" though.)

[ 31.10.2005, 14:14: Message edited by: Spearmint Rhino ]

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pietro Paolo Virdis
Member # 776

- posted      Profile for Pietro Paolo Virdis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mother liked them, and liked them a lot. She tried to make me listen to the evil bastards. That and Kenny Rogers, mom? How will I ever be able to forgive you?

Trust me. You better stay damn well clear of anything labelled Osmonds. They’re not human, fascist rat eating aliens sent down to fu** with our minds for sure. See what they’re doing with G-Man?

Yes, remember where you read it first. One day Donny will go live on CNN, take a firm grip of his skin somewhere in the Addams apple region and the whole bloody mask will come of in one move.

-

Christ! I remember Flash Gordon saved the planet from one of these in an episode.

-

They're not going out of their way to hide what they're up to, are they?

Please, someone, save G-Man from this horrid spell.

Posts: 19677 | From: San Siro | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do love "Crazy Horses" though.

Alex Harvey did improve on it somewhat.

G-Man. Try down loading some of Little Jimmy's output. That'll learn you.

Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

Whoa, hold on a second. Little Jimmy is indefensible, ditto Marie, ditto Donny's solo ouevre. But, I had to admit upon seeing The Osmonds live (on telly) that their musicianship and repertoire was far superior to the notions I had prejudicially maintained. Simply put, they were quite good.
Gus Tomato
Member # 467

- posted      Profile for Gus Tomato         Edit/Delete Post 
Polyester-slacks, Alan Partridge style Xmas jumpers, god-bothering polygamists.

As Samuel L. would say, 'that's some repugnant shit'.

Can you really call 'em Glam though?

Compare and contrast with brilliance like the Sweet.

Posts: 4506 | From: Hades | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure they actually played their own music either live or on record G-Man?
And they weren't remotely Glam any more than their peers, the Partridge family or Jackson 5.

Does anyone else remember the 'Not the Nine O'Clock News' sketch about the Osmonds comeback tour?

Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

There was loads of ad libbing, medleying and sampling from other songs, so it certainly was live.

And in the concert they wore polyester jumpsuits, if you please. No Partridge Xmas jumpers there, Roy.

Obviously The Osmonds stand no comparison to the Sweet. I own music by the Sweet. I might get "Crazy Horses", but I wouldn't wish to own an Osmonds album.

Gus Tomato
Member # 467

- posted      Profile for Gus Tomato         Edit/Delete Post 
And in the concert they wore polyester jumpsuits, if you please. No Partridge Xmas jumpers there, Roy.

Heh.
Probably enough static to power the lighting rig.

Never nind the fact that Donny and his sister sang a love duet at each other, they were definitely a bit creepy.Maybe I had mormonophobia.
The rest of the band were pretty hideous with not-so-perfect teeth sticking out at all angles, and wee Jimmy was a greasy lardball with a WWII German helmet head.

Apart from that, they were magic.

I remember being far more impressed with the Quo.

<coat>

Posts: 4506 | From: Hades | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC