This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Burial- Burial (Page 9)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Burial- Burial
die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Burial was Heath Ledger?!
Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

[ 08.02.2008, 21:40: Message edited by: Lieutenant Frank Drebin ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, that's a publicity photo of Heath Ledger as the Joker in the new Batman movie.
Ah! I see. How embarrassing! Hadn't seen those shots.

Yeah, the Heath Ledger death was tragic, but I wonder why Burial felt so moved as to use a pic of him? I guess Heath Ledger will be the next Jim Morrison/Kurt Cobain etc.

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rory Bunk
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Rory Bunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just gotten into this stuff - fashinably late as always - but cor blimey it's the kind of sound that really works its fiendish way into you.

Now coming from a drum and bass/industrial hardcore background, there should be lots about Burial that doesn't work for me - I've always and unanimously disliked those cheesy R'n'B style vocals which he uses, and the percussion is OK, but for me lacks oomph or invention. Its shortcomings on the latter front have probably been more starkly highlighted by my recent acquisition of the new Autechre work.

Still, put it all together and I can't get the fucker out of my head, probably because I'm a sucker for dark atmospherics and the pop and crackle all three of which Burial dishes out beautifully. Even that allergic reaction which automatically emerges when those R'n'B style vocals kick in is pacified by the beautifully ghostly way in which they have been handled. I've skimmed the odd interview and review or two and I really liked what he said about not wanting to have a vocalist as such, but just these siren voices which drift in and out from a distance.

The way the potentially disparate primary ingredients (gloom, percussion, angelic voices) are put together is bang on and for me it works far better than the understandably cited Massive Attack ever did.

So a thanks to the Carcass for the introduction which came via that Musical Advent thread. My late introduction means that I've discovered both albums together. After the first couple of days, Untrue is far the better collection even if it is less dark than the debut.

Posts: 972 | From: The Oort cloud | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's nice, innit?

I got into Burial a bit late too. Personally, I don't think it's the epoch-making paradigm shift that some others do, but in this age of 'all-been-done-before', it's the nearest we've had in a long time (and are likely to have for an even longer period, I feel).

Personally, I prefer the first album simply because the atmospherics are more to the fore and the songs are of less conventional structure/length. I hope he does an even more experimental album one day, although I don't think the next one will be it, sadly.

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass
Member # 730

- posted      Profile for Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know he was outed in an article by The Independent right? But Mark E thinks it's a hoax.
Posts: 8490 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nico Rijnders
Member # 930

- posted      Profile for Nico Rijnders     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone got a link to that? I can't see it upthread.
Posts: 1063 | From: Go Ahead, 1969. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass
Member # 730

- posted      Profile for Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure when Mark E logs in he'll have the relevant link.
Posts: 8490 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark e
Member # 1218

- posted      Profile for mark e     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the article

"William Bevan"

http://www.williambevan.co.uk/

Funeral directors -> Burial.

that could purely be coincidence (the truth), however, it is funny.

[ 14.03.2008, 11:03: Message edited by: mark e ]

Posts: 1616 | From: Bristol | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC