This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Most evil / most admired people in last 25 years or so (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Most evil / most admired people in last 25 years or so
Spence Broughton
Member # 88

- posted      Profile for Spence Broughton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, you'd think you could spell a hero's name properly.

G-Man - <Devil's advocate, again> Does Mandela's (confessed) inaction on HIV not count against him? And the lovely neo-liberal GEAR programme? </Devils' advocate>

Posts: 1161 | From: Ippo again | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, because it wasn't inaction out of malice. It was a serious underestimation of the problem, which he is big enough to acknowledge and is now trying to compensate as far as he can. He deserves even more admiration for his humility in accepting that he didn't do enough. Thabo Mbeki, on the other hand...

GEAR wasn't really Mandela's baby. That was economic policy set by the ANC executive. And I'm yet to be convinced that GEAR is a disastrous policy (it's not great, obviously).

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spence Broughton
Member # 88

- posted      Profile for Spence Broughton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fair enough. Having visited South Africa a couple of years ago, I'm now actually studying its politics, and being somewhat disabused of the most optomistic notions of its future, which is a little disappointing. Although not entirely unpredictable.

And I do agree with you on the HIV point. Especially as far as Mbeki goes.

Posts: 1161 | From: Ippo again | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the optimism was exaggerated, really. SA isn't going to the dogs, and the economic policies (including GEAR) are going to ensure that SA will not suffer an economic meltdown as Argentina did a few years back.

Still, politically it is a very young democracy, and there loom some serious re-allignments still; some of them potentially traumatic.

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guy Potger
Member # 1315

- posted      Profile for Guy Potger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Admired?

At the moment, it's Gee Walker.

Posts: 2834 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ian .64
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for ian .64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cunts: Rupert Murdoch, Rebekah Wade, Kelvin McKenzie. The assassin's bullet awaits them all. There's too many to mention. The whole world is awash with people who's only seeming bent in life is to turn other people's lives into shit. The heroes are hard to define because you can't see them for all the cunts that get in the way. It's a fucking hopeless world.

Although I'm with ganga on nurses, I'd spread it out to doctors, humanitarian aid groups, anyone who'll do the kind of stuff that we wouldn't think of touching with a ten foot pole.

Posts: 9378 | From: Wolverhampton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guy Potger
Member # 1315

- posted      Profile for Guy Potger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cunts?

Hilary Cropper.

But then you all knew that, didn't you.

(I actually cheered last Christmas when I found out that bitch had karked it)

Posts: 2834 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Houdi Elbow
Member # 126

- posted      Profile for Houdi Elbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What marks Hilary Cropper apart from numerous other big business CEOs?

(Admit it, you wanted someone to ask that didn't you?)

Posts: 879 | From: ATV Land | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ian64, your last post to this thread entitles you to a pint, courtesy of me, if and when we ever meet.
Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolf 2
Member # 1331

- posted      Profile for Wolf 2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to mention (if I may) the unsung, all those people you hear of fleetingly and without due mention who've done something extraordinary. I read a tiny article somewhere mentioning the tragic death of the daughter of some soap star or other. she'd been swept into white water in a swiss river I believe. tragic enough, that in death I and many others were only made aware of it through tenuous fame. but there was one line that said "an Irish companion also died after diving into the rapids in an attempt to save her". That was it.

People like that should get more of a mention. the good in this world is never given the attention it deserves, and I think it is sad that we find it infinitely easier as a society to damn the evil than we do rejoice in the good. if that makes sense.

there are loads of cunts mentioned above. dig deep and mention some good guys. its harder isn't it? perhaps only for me.

Posts: 2032 | From: this world to the next. | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC