This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » I'm not saying I did it, but... (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: I'm not saying I did it, but...
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Surely you mean "beyond the reach of the heirs of the people he didn't murder" seeing as he was aquitted?
The thing is though, he was later found guilty of "being responsible for" the deaths. Which I've never quite been able to wrap my head around.
Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SSS, I think we have done this before, but the key difference is that the first trial was criminal, and therefore subject to the "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard (as well as being the subject of a miserable performance by the prosecution and a virtuouso one by Cochran), while the civil case was determined on the basis of the "preponderance of the evidence" (as well as featuring different lawyers).
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And reason no. 435,094,291 to despise Fox and its Antipodean master puppeteer.
Don't be so coy, ua, he's All-American now...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As I choose to follow the conclusion of the civil case
Yeah but the civil case doesn't prove guilt.
According to US law, he is innocent of the murders. Therefore he didn't do it. Whether he did or not. And posting that he's guilty as if it's a fact is wrong.

Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marty Kaplan:
quote:
There's a lesson in this for Republicans. Kiss-and-tell books can get decent advances, but when authors confront the consequences of bean-spilling -- do I really want my kids to read this? -- an insidious self-censorship can chill the urge to confess. What was promised as a searing tell-all can easily turn into a dreary cut-and-paste job padded with keynoters at the American Poultry Association.

But OJ's ruse puts a whole new ploy in play. Imagine Rumsfeld writing "If I Committed War Crimes, Here's How It Happened." Plenty of juice, but no risk of international prosecutions. Rove could get a ton of dough for "If Bush Had Been Impeached, Here's What For." George Allen would have a monster hit on his hands if he wrote, "If I Were An Asshat, Here I Am."

Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axel
Member # 724

- posted      Profile for axel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fox 'affiliates' won't be showing the interview now.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,,1952457,00.html

"Public outrage in America over OJ Simpson's "hypothetical" description of how he could have killed his ex-wife and her friend has prompted affiliates of the Fox TV network to refuse to screen the interview on the grounds of bad taste.

Simpson has secured a $3.5m deal with Rupert Murdoch's broadcasting and publishing companies companies which includes a Fox TV special during which he talks about how he would have carried out the murders of Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman "if he were the one responsible".

The two-part programme was due for broadcast on November 27 and 29. But last night it emerged that nine affiliates - local TV stations showing Fox programmes - had opted out of the screening.

Jay Zollar, general manager of WLUK-TV, said: "After careful consideration regarding the nature of the show, as well as the feedback we received from viewers, we determined that this programming was not serving the local public interest." WLUK is owned by Lin Broadcasting, which also has stations in Alabama, Ohio, New Mexico and Rhode Island. Another company that takes Fox programmes, Pappas Broadcasting, said it was not interested in helping Simpson profit from the project.

There are about 200 Fox affiliates across the US. Scott Grogin, a Fox spokesman, said yesterday the network had no comment about the decision by its affiliates.

The interview is intended to be a promotion for a book called If I Did It, to be published on November 30.

Simpson became notorious in 1994 after the bodies of Brown and Goldman were found on her blood-drenched Los Angeles driveway. Simpson was pursued by police after he heard he was the prime suspect and 93 million people watched events unfold live on television. Police cars tailed him and 90 minutes later he surrendered outside his mansion.

Simpson was cleared of the murders after a sensational criminal trial. But a subsequent civil trial found him responsible for both killings and ordered him to pay $33.5m. To date Simpson has not handed over any money. He has been out of work because any income would go towards the court award, but he receives a pension from his sporting career which is protected from court action.

Even Simpson's lawyer is angry about the deal. The latest issue of Newsweek quotes Yale Galanter saying he's "pissed" with his client. He said: "I definitely would not have approved this ... I would not have done it for a gazillion dollars."

A lawyer for the Goldman family said he would explore legal action should Simpson profit from the new venture."

Can we find it on Youtube soon?

[ 20.11.2006, 09:30: Message edited by: axel ]

Posts: 923 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why I Did It, by OJ's publisher.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend's sister works for Judith Regan, and the stories she has are not flattering. People in the office knew the book was coming, but had no idea about the TV special, which Regan conducted in secrecy. So when the shit hit the fan, no one in the office had a clue and were left to deal with the fallout.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Judith Regan is what us New Yorkers would call a piece of work.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Wind-Up Bird
Member # 1176

- posted      Profile for Mr. Wind-Up Bird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like Murdoch has finally figured out this might be a PR problem.

From AP:

Associated Press

NEW YORK - After a firestorm of criticism, News Corp. said Monday that it has canceled the O.J. Simpson book and television special "If I Did It."

"I and senior management agree with the American public that this was an ill-considered project," said Rupert Murdoch, News Corp. chairman. "We are sorry for any pain that his has caused the families of Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown Simpson."

A dozen Fox affiliates had already said they would not air the two-part sweeps month special, planned for next week before publication of the book. It was being published by ReganBooks, a HarperCollins imprint owned, like the Fox network, by News Corp.

In the projects, Simpson speaks in hypothetical terms about how he would have committed the 1994 slayings of his ex-wife Nicole and her friend Goldman.

The industry trade publication Broadcasting & Cable editorialized against the show Monday, saying "Fox should cancel this evil sweeps stunt."

One of the nation's largest superstore chains, Borders Group Inc., said last week it would donate any profits on the book to charity.

Posts: 664 | From: The bottom of the well, holding a baseball bat | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

This has rhe potential for a most excellent lawsuit. Assuming that OJ's agent was competent, I would bet that Uncle Ruppert is going to have pay the advance.

If I was advising a Giulani opponent for 2008, I would devote resources to the Kerik-Regan angle. There is gold in them thar hills.

Auntie Beryl
Member # 1082

- posted      Profile for Auntie Beryl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When did Ronald Reagan die?
Posts: 1450 | From: west by south | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
June 2004.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not very often that any of Murdoch's companies make a big retreat on grounds of taste -- off the top of my head, I can only think of the Sun's apology for the Hillsborough "THE TRUTH" front page that ranks alongside this extremely public backing-down.
Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"After all, we are in the entertainment business"
Rupert Murdoch defending his purchase of the Hitler Diaries, 1983

I was hoping this was gonna be another Chris Needham thread. "Hey look! The brush...I didn't do it myself, but whoever did...I'd be proud to know them, I think"

Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC