This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » O Polar Night (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: O Polar Night
Melmoth the Wonderer
Member # 233

- posted      Profile for Melmoth the Wonderer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few months ago, in a fit of, well, madness, I signed up for this . And now it's a mere two weeks away. While the running around for 13 miles in the freezing polar night doesn't faze me much, the fact I am going on my own does slightly. When I signed up all my athletic and somewhat athletic friends were interested, only to drop like flies as time went by. The organisers tell me that two people from "the city of Cavan" are coming along, so the neurotic Irish flocking together tendency may be sated, but by a remote chance would anyone on the board like to do this?

Failing that, any decent things to do in Tromsø? Aside from drink and watching the aurora borealis?

Posts: 705 | From: langley park to memphis | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the Norwegian Hull, but I loved it there. They have a great punk record shop, pubs that are packed for the ski-jumping, flying there Is like going over the moon, you'll never see a skyline such a waterly blue, and the women are gorgeous. Walk across the bridge from the hotel to the more picturesque side, and feel the wind like a bayonet in your chest. And then check out the fish soup vendor on the street corner at 4am.

When I was there, I was told the story of the English businessman whose coach was delayed to the conference centre in the depths of winter, so he decided to have a walk around the hotel. The staff strongly advised against it, and even called security in, but he was having none of it and walked out.

20 minutes later, when he hadn't returned, they sent a search party out and found him on the floor in agony - because it was so cold, the moisture on his eyeballs had frozen.

Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like a perfect place for me. I'd have to just watch the race, however, perhaps with some sort of alcoholic coffee beverage in hand.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and save up and get a round in, even though it'll be the most expensive one you'll ever buy in your life.

I did that to pay back the people who took me out for a meal in a crowded club, and the entire place parted like the Red Sea. When I got back to the table and plonked it down, they all stared in horror, assuming that I'd got it in for myself and the rumour about pissheaded Englishmen was true.

When I started handing them out, they reacted as if I was doling out car keys for Bentleys.

And definately pay a visit to the Vinopolis, if it's open. It's like a cross between a beer-off and Argos.

Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melmoth the Wonderer
Member # 233

- posted      Profile for Melmoth the Wonderer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a mill Nish. Sounds good , although this

quote:
When I was there, I was told the story of the English businessman whose coach was delayed to the conference centre in the depths of winter, so he decided to have a walk around the hotel. The staff strongly advised against it, and even called security in, but he was having none of it and walked out.

20 minutes later, when he hadn't returned, they sent a search party out and found him on the floor in agony - because it was so cold, the moisture on his eyeballs had frozen.

...perhaps is not ideal mental preparation for the damn race aspect of the whole thing!
Posts: 705 | From: langley park to memphis | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Biosphere (Geir Jenssen) purveyor of fine electronic music is from Tromso! See: http://www.biosphere.no/

I found this theoretically-quite-interesting-but-probably-really-boring website linked from his own:
http://weather.cs.uit.no/panorama/wcam1_latest.html
That's Tromso's panoramic weather cam! On the Biosphere site, it implies that you can control it from your PC!

The Wikipedia entry for Tromso holds some interesting facts, including that the combined capacity of all the clubs and bars there is 20,000 - so, in theory, one third of the entire population could be out on the piss at once! :-)

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troms%C3%B8

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and if you're still there from the 16th onwards, there's a film festival! See:
http://www.visitnorway.com/

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

The pubs are pretty much empty until 10ish, though - alcohol is so expensive, apparently, that the locals pile round someone's house and get their drink on before going out.

And you can buy Russian Army rocket launchers and the like from the local flea markets.

Melmoth the Wonderer
Member # 233

I'm beginning to like this place more and more. Twinned with Gaza City and Grimsby!
evilC
Member # 1312

So it's a warzone, whichever way you look at it, then?

Btw, Melmoth - it'd be great if you can see if they also sell long black Russian navy greatcoats in the flea markets, as well as the rocket launchers - I've been looking for one for ages and nowhere here seems to sell them!

[ 24.12.2006, 01:43: Message edited by: evilC ]

Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go right now to the BBC weather site and take a look at Saturday's weather forecast for Tromso. It makes interesting reading.

NB: Tromso is above the arctic circle.

Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melmoth the Wonderer
Member # 233

It's a wee bit later, currently it reads:

Saturday

Sunrise 11:46 (CET)
Sunset 11:46 (CET)
Saturday's predominant weather is forecast to be sunny.

Min 0°C

Max: -1°C

Saturday's wind direction: South Easterly Wind.6
good 995 82

Did I miss something?

Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Sunday it'll be five degrees above freezing. It's been stupidly warm up north this winter-christmas day was the warmest ever recorded in Finland, 9 degrees in Fagerholm.
Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Predominantly sunny.
On December 30th.
Above the Arctic Circle.
When the sun never rises.

Oh well, it made me smile.

Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Otto Katz
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Otto Katz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The locals like to call Tromsø the "Paris of the North" which is total bollocks as it doesn't resemble Paris in the slightest.

Nishlord, yeah we really don't do "rounds" over here. What brought you to Tromsø btw? Was that you who were invited over to speak at by:larm by any chance?

That story they told you sounds like something they made up to "scare the foreginer". No way your eyeballs would freeze.

Posts: 2909 | From: the examining of the entrails of sacrificial geese | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC