This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » When radio station contests go wrong (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: When radio station contests go wrong
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_5011547

Contest ends in death by water intoxication
Associated Press
Article Launched: 01/13/2007 10:50:57 PM PST

SACRAMENTO - A woman who competed in a radio station's contest to see how much water she could drink without going to the bathroom died of water intoxication, the coroner's office said Saturday.

Jennifer Strange, 28, was found dead Friday in her suburban Rancho Cordova home hours after taking part in the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest in which KDND 107.9 promised a Nintendo Wii video game system for the winner.

"She said to one of our supervisors that she was on her way home and her head was hurting her real bad," said Laura Rios, one of Strange's co-workers at Radiological Associates of Sacramento. "She was crying and that was the last that anyone had heard from her."

It was not immediately known how much water Strange consumed.

Initially, contestants were handed eight-ounce bottles of water to drink every 15 minutes.

"They were small little half-pint bottles, so we thought it was going to be easy," said fellow contestant James Ybarra of Woodland.

Ybarra said he quit after drinking five bottles. After he quit, he said, the remaining contestants, including Strange, were given even bigger bottles to drink.

"I was talking to her and she was a nice lady," Ybarra said. "She was telling me about her family and her three kids and how she was doing it for kids."

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christ.

Do you think they gave the Nintendo system to her kids?

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Not so much a case of it 'going wrong' as being an incredibly dangerous and stupid thing to do in the first place.

Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's like that radio competition where a bloke sat on a huge block of ice for an hour, and recieved serious skin injuries ("burns" is the somewhat unexpected term they used).

[ 14.01.2007, 11:25: Message edited by: Diggedy Derek ]

Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass
Member # 730

- posted      Profile for Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's how Leah Betts died innit?
Posts: 8490 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, telling her to sit down on the ice-seat while she got her head together ultimately proved a tragic error.
Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not me
Member # 65

- posted      Profile for Not me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a name like Jennifer Strange, the woman was an accident waiting to happen. She was hardly going to pass away in her sleep at a ripe old age, was she.
Posts: 4303 | From: The Ministry of the New New Super Heavy Funk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ian .64
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for ian .64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's like that radio competition where a bloke sat on a huge block of ice for an hour, and recieved serious skin injuries ("burns" is the somewhat unexpected term they used).

It was BRMB, the Birmingham local radio station that organised it. What's worse is that it was dry ice that the contestants were obliged to sit down on. Even those with a simple grasp of science (and you don't get simpler than mine) know that if there's one substance that you don't hold with your fingers for even one second is dry ice (well, I wouldn't).

I can't believe that when they did that no-one stood back for a moment and thought 'hmm...there's something a bit dodgy about this..'

Posts: 9378 | From: Wolverhampton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass
Member # 730

- posted      Profile for Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SORTED!

I went to an ice bar in Stockholm. Everything including the seats, walls and glasses was made of ice. I've got that nervous/want to get full value of a drink eating ice cubes thing and after partaking of several bright blue drinks I ate my glass. I went up to the bar to get some more and the guy said he couldn't serve me unless I brought my glass back. I said: "But I've eaten it. Was I not supposed to?" And they threw me out.

Posts: 8490 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ian .64
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for ian .64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know those places exist but I'm simply gob-smacked that they do. Bar fights must be non-existent, they'd die of hypothermia after the first few punches.
Posts: 9378 | From: Wolverhampton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TV's 'Mr P'
Member # 164

- posted      Profile for TV's 'Mr P'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeez, what a plainly stupid idea for a contest. I mean, apart from the obvious dangers - as illustrated by a woman dying, for Christ's sake - how in the world could they ever have proved who was the genuine winner?

Still, makes that Whirly Wheeler guy's death look pretty ordinary by comparison, eh..?

Posts: 10682 | From: the vaults of the biggest record collection in the world... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fucking hell, dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide. That's about minus 80 degrees centigrade. Colder than the outside of a corrugated iron shithouse in Antarctica. In July. I think frostbite kicks into human flesh at about minus 20.
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a name like Jennifer Strange, the woman was an accident waiting to happen.

I feel another username change coming on.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Say No To Vorderman
Member # 1534

- posted      Profile for Just Say No To Vorderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
maybe the US drug enforcement agency has kept from the american public the fact that it is water that killed most Ecstacy victims...beggars belief that anyone would organise such an event in light of all the publicity water deaths have had here.
to quote bill hicks..i don't think we've lost a cure for cancer here

[ 14.01.2007, 15:53: Message edited by: Lomographer ]

Posts: 1735 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The BBC's idea of live entertainment; pick members of the audience and have them do stunts in cars.
Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC