This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » A jumper in any colour you want, as long as it's green. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A jumper in any colour you want, as long as it's green.
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
aren't all dollars green?
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Max Payne.
Member # 1428

- posted      Profile for Max Payne.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I read Max as meaning that spending money there earned you air miles. Was that wrong?
The Horse knows what I was getting at. I mean the practise of, for example, getting Indian and Pakistani Mango pieces packaged in South Africa and then shipped here. Some of the air freight of goods is just pointless.

quote:
THIS HAS BEEN FLOWN IN AT GREAT COST TO THE ENVIRONMENT - IF YOU BUY IT YOU ARE A BASTARD
Let's hope those stickers weren't made in China, Horse.
Posts: 958 | From: Exeter, NY | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's fine. I find that friend of her's you like annoying.
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one that gets me is the supermarket (Tesco? I'm not sure) which is encouraging us to give them our old Christmas cards for recycling, adding the cheery pay-off line "...and you can buy them back as value loo roll!" (like they're doing us a favour by getting us to provide them with their raw materials for nowt).

I also think the woodland preservation thing they're talking about is somewhat mendacious, because unless I'm mistaken, historic woodland is never cut down for paper pulp (it's all from plantations, whose existence probably does more good than harm)?

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oolon Colluphid LLB
Member # 123

- posted      Profile for Oolon Colluphid LLB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is anything M&S does always considered such big news in this country? This is all just free publicity for them. If they want to be environmentally friendly perhaps they can start with cutting down on the preposterous amount of packaging their food comes in.
Posts: 3194 | From: a Distance' is a rubbish song | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Route One Thug
Member # 1750

- posted      Profile for Route One Thug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Why is anything M&S does always considered such big news in this country?"

Because their advertising budget is very very large, and their PR department are very well bedded in with all the major news outlets?

Posts: 636 | From: High In The Clouds | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i wonder how many years of carbon neutral M&S will have to pass before they offset the environmental damage already caused by their indiviually packaged in three cubic feet of plastic ready-peeled satsumas.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's been noted on here before, but I find the increasing disconnect between the UK and US on this point (which Linke will be able to see first hand in the fall) to be very striking. Whereas MS does this and Sky News UK spends a week on carbon emissions, their US counterparts (for the most part) continue to.push a Hummer-centered lifestyle at full bore.
Well... Wal-Mart are phasing out normal lightbulbs over the next couple of years, and will soon be selling only energy efficient lightbulbs. Which, given the size of Wal-Mart will have a bigger positive impact that anything Marks and Spencer could do.
Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because it is one of the few British things that isn't owned by a foreign Private Investment vehicle.
Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not the Brian Clough thread then...

In SA, M&S equivalent is Woolworths. Their food stores have taken a markedly green position, especially in terms of GM foods. Obviously one might call that a marketing ploy rather than an act of social responsibility. But if the effects of commercial imperatives, regardless of possible cynicism, are good, then they must be welcome.

After all, if consumer pressure influenced such decision, then it means consumers are becoming increasingly "green". And that will hopefully have a ripple-effect.

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but are they recyclableenergy efficient lightbulbs?

And are they the carcinogen containing, migrain inducing fluorescent ones or the new last-for-years LED ones?

Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC