This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Give a little Respect (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Give a little Respect
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The result will be something like this
Surely you should have used a picture that was too big for the board and took forever to download thus clogging the whole thing up...
Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Applause!
Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
woohoo!
Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

So, whaddya reckon?
TonTon
Member # 41

Ok, so I have tried to stay away from Galloway-baiting here. But this, from a "Respect Renewal" NC member, beggars belief:

quote:
The national council of Respect Renewal has decided no position on who should be first preference, but has a clear position that Ken Livinsgtone should be supported against Boris Johnson. Individuals are free to argue either that Livingstone should be given a first or second preference vote, depending on their different inclinations.

In view of the changed circumsstances, the national council also approved delegated powers for George to agree a list of candidates to stand for the London GLA.

Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find it offensive from Sian, Ken and George all think it right to dictate to me how I should place my second preference rather than trusting my own integrity. It looks like Brian Paddick and whoever TonTon's mob select as my 1 and 2 now, just because I dislike the subversion of the democratic process.

I know what policies I support, thanks, and if I support mostly the Green policies I can decide for myself whether Labour, Lib Dem, Tory, Gorgeous George, Left List, Christian Alliance, UKIP or whoever more closely matches those policies I support, thank you. I don't want Sian Berry or Ken Livingstone telling me.

Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see the problem with it meself. It seems more mature and less tribal than simply yelling "vote for me, I'm great and all my rivals are cunts". It at least acknowledges that there are gradations of acceptability/unacceptability among rival candidates. I'd rather that than people of similar politics denouncing each other in petty and sectarian fashion. I'd be happy if Ken and Lindsey German cut a similar deal.

And no one's being "dictated" to. A "call" is not the same as an order - certainly not worth throwing a hissy fit about. Tactics and strategy matter, and this seems an acknowledgement of that.

My fanciful hope is that this leads to much wider Lab/Green co-operation across the board.

[ 20.03.2008, 16:53: Message edited by: E10Rifle ]

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being aggrieved about voting advice is like not liking a party because 'I don't agree with everything they say'. It's egotistic, to think it's a direct injunction to yourself, rather than a political intervention.
Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

You think? I find it makes me very uncomfortable. I clearly don't agree with everything any party says. So therefore I'm picking the least bad party in terms of matching what I'd like.

It is not obvious that the next least bad for me is going to be the one recommended by my first choice party.

Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly. You've proved my point - most people wear the fact that they disagree with aspects of their chosen party's platform lightly; other wear it as something approaching an infringement of their human rights that there's not an option which maps directly onto their own beliefs exactly.
Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

But I'm being told what my second best choice is; and it's not in the least bit clear that the second best choice for Sian is necessarily the second best choice for me.
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, y'know, vote for someone else for your second preference then. What's the problem?
Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

Lardinho - I'm afraid Lindsey German is encouraging people to put Ken second as well.

The point being made is that, in real life, there are only two candidates with a chance of winning - Livingstone and Johnson. If you're going to vote for who you want to win first, then there's really no point in using your second preference for someone who isn't going to win, is there?

That's why I found it funny for Livingstone to call on his supporters to vote Green second.

I don't think it's a big leap to encourage people on the left to use a second preference to keep the bigot Johnson out of office.

(I will struggle to do that, myself, but will probably manage to in the end)

[ 21.03.2008, 07:54: Message edited by: TonTon ]

TonTon
Member # 41

Here's one of the less silly photos we had taken this week:

-

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC