This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Why do people steal famous works of art?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why do people steal famous works of art?
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any point? They surely won't be able to get away with selling them...
Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Shedd
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Johnny Shedd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They sell them to dodgy underworld types (Bond villains) who then show them off to other criminal masterminds. Oneupmanship and all that.

[ 11.02.2008, 18:00: Message edited by: Johnny Shedd ]

Posts: 494 | From: The Hideous Fen Of Huge Bigness | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because it's an incredibly sexy crime. I mean, steal an old lady's purse and you'll get beaten up by other inmates. But nick 'Scream' and your own mother'd toast you at dinner. I think it probably has quite an allure for criminals (and me apparently) as a tough nut of a crime with few real victims and a likely large payoff.
Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably because they've watched too many Bond films.
Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of artworks, what do people have hanging on their walls?

I am in the process of getting a few prints by this guy framed. And my sister recently gave me a print of this as a moving-into-new-house present:

-

(For the benefit of those who have no interest in football, there is a story behind that photograph.)

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gerontophile
Member # 954

- posted      Profile for gerontophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
they are probably stolen to order, for billionaire megalomaniacs.

Failing that, because they want to, because they want to.

[ 11.02.2008, 18:53: Message edited by: gerontophile ]

Posts: 2278 | From: the nightflight to Venus | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Drebin, is that the last challenge Maradona evaded from Gentile in '82 before he finally cracked, lamped him, and got sent off (and home) in disgrace?
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, he kicked a Brazilian in the bollocks in Argentina's next game.

I like the photo because it shows Maradona just managing to escape the grasp of his nemesis for a split-second -- signifying the triumph of inspiration over thuggery, or some such bollocks like that. He was probably hacked down again a few seconds later.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go, Diego, Go!
Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On my lounge wall I have signed prints of this :

-
and this:

-

I bought them both when I was living in London, and had never even heard of Chorley. The artist, or the town; ironically I now live in the latter. For any golf scene officianados, Richard Chorley's your man. My Pebble Beach print is 5 feet wide and cost around £150, ten years ago.

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Villain
Member # 468

- posted      Profile for Villain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rog, that bridge in your first pic is insanely old isnt it? Was it moved there or was existing when the land was other than a golf course?
Posts: 2049 | From: Croydon init | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I blame kids from broken homes, lack of facilities in the communtiy, all that guff.
Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

What, for St. Andrews being the home of golf? It is pretty bleak up there, it's true, and unless they can get jobs catering or cleaning in the Halls of Residence for the students, then yeah, I guess caddying for tourists at £60-a-round is pretty much the only career option available.
Rory Bunk
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Rory Bunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While the thrill may not justify the penalty (nor the potential of being the bastard that damages a unique and iconic work), it would be damn cool to slump on the couch having a beer with The Scream leaning up against the wall next to the telly.

Of course, you wouldn't even hang it up or anything. It would be having it as part of your usual clutter which would be cool.

Posts: 972 | From: The Oort cloud | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What, for St. Andrews being the home of golf?
They stole that decrepit old bridge, and dumped it in the middle of some poor fucker's jumped-up back garden!
Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC