This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Super Tuesday was SO last week. (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Super Tuesday was SO last week.
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you know, we Canadians are a modest people.

Wait, did I say modest? Maybe that's too strong. We're a bit on the modest side.

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And yet your country is a genuinely great place, the few bits of it I've explored.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<turns deep crimson>...um...well..y'know...thanks! Yours is great, too!
Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clinton seems to be doing well in Northeastern states that have traditionally been mobbed-up. What does that tell us, hmmmm?
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

That organized labour is supporting Clinton?

[edit: my point being that mobbed up bits of the US are geographically correlated with the organized labour bits and that Reed's correlation is therefore spurious, not that organized labour and organized crime are one and the same]

[ 29.02.2008, 13:28: Message edited by: Antonio Gramsci ]

Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GY: where was that McCain stuff from? I want to be able to provide a link the next time I hear somebody wants to support him.
Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

McCain Stuff
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"my point being that mobbed up bits of the US are geographically correlated with the organized labour bits and that Reed's correlation is therefore spurious, not that organized labour and organized crime are one and the same."

I wasn't making a serious point, you know, but now that you mention it...

Organized labor and organized crime are not one and the same, but as far as I know, there's nowhere in America where the latter doesn't have it's hands in the former, at least a little. And that's a fucking shame.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Organised crime and organised capital are of course far more interlinked.
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

Yeah, capital can usually figure out how to do massive crimes on its own without engaging outside experts.
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matej: it's about the only decent reporting I've ever seen Adam Nagourney do. And, of course, it was on the NYT's political blog, not in the newspaper.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

Also, McCain got a big fat goose egg in the congressional report cards created by the League of Conservation Voters. Obama got a 67 and Clinton got a 73, which isn't great, but a lot of that is because they missed votes while campaining.
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

quote:
Organised crime and organised capital are of course far more interlinked.
They might resemble each other, but in the US at least at least the interlinkage is more with labour than with capital. Watch the Sopranos episode where Patsy tries to shake down the Starbucks owner and you'll understand why.

I think in certain European countries, including the one I have the closest family links to, E10 is probably right. Although, let me say for the record, as an adopted Sicilian: the mafia does not exist. It's all a media creation.

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a bit of a dated view, though. Large elements of the Teamsters were heavily mobbed up for a long time, but most of the senior principles are now in jail, I really don't think that there is much organised crime influence in the public service unions that represent the only growing portion of US organized labor (unless Gramsci knows something about the United Federation of Teachers or AFSCME that I don't).

On the other hand, all successful organized crime operations seek to diversify their operations into more "legitimate" businesses, with the non-existent organisation that Gramsci refers to being particularly adept at same.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pennsylvania must be chockfull of organized crime, Hillary is up there 46 to 37. That looks like her real firewall right now (or maybe more like a small fence with a little bit of charcoil on it given the numbers), even though she's still up 49-42 in Ohio, she's now down 48-45 in Texas, where she was up by double digit a month ago.
Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC