This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Sir Paul's divorce settlement (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Sir Paul's divorce settlement
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Horse, Linus isn't only talking about the McCartneys. He's extending it to other supporters of animal rights, celeb and non-celeb.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I lean towards your side of the argument here, SR, but linus did point out that he was flagging the perceived hypocrisy of some individuals, and was careful not to apply his judgment across the board (at least after being asked to clarify whether that was his intention).

Anyway, it is a non-sequitur to argue that because you energetically Cause A you are indifferent to Cause B.

I mean, I feel strongly about injustices in Palestine or Zimbabwe, and apply some energy in expressing my strong feelings. I do not equally engage myself much in respect to injustices in Burma or Tibet. Does that mean I therefore acquiesce in the abuses in Burma and Tibet? Obviously not.

I also see no relation in McCartney supporting the invasion of Iraq to his being an energetic animal rights campaigner. By all means, one may argue the specific stances he takes, but it is irrelevant that he objects to seal clubbing while supporting the war in/on Iraq.

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, quite. Linus is claiming a direct connection between opposing seal hunting and supporting the invasion of Iraq. Which is just insane, whether applied to the McCartneys or anyone else.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that is what he's doing.

This is the point he's positing, which seems at least plausible:

quote:
It is also a "safe" cause, celebrities can speak out in favor of animal rights without having that affect record sales or their chances of being dropped from the movie industry (see what happened to the Dixie Chicks). They do so either because they don't want to speak out against the causes that really matter more, or are too dumb or politically outright wrong to leverage their celebrity status to make a difference.
I don't believe linus is addressing non-celebrity animal rights activists at all (beyond a general impression that he's not convinced it's as big an issue as human rights, which is a pretty widespread one). If he is, then I think he's wrong.
Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
macocha europy
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for macocha europy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is McCartney to the UK public a bit of what Beckenbauer is to the German public?

A person who has great merits, but gets on your nerves and is somewhat embarrassing nowadays?

Posts: 7953 | From: Tank Meadow, Munich North | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mitch
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Mitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say that's fair, but you don't really need the "nowadays".
Posts: 1949 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob,bob,bob & bob
Member # 4308

- posted      Profile for bob,bob,bob & bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it’s understood that McCartney is not as popular or as talented as he thinks he is, despite his wealth. Before Heather came on the scene he was my least favourite Beatle, but it speaks volume for her lack of charm that she managed to make McCartney almost likeable.

But at least she offers plenty by way of entertainment value (as all habitual liars do) compared to other celebrities – I especially loved her two tone suit that she wore when the verdict was announced which is something even Jason King wouldn’t be seen dead in; and cracking up on GMTV? That’s Rock and Roll – you can keep your crack dens and you’re your rehab.

I now look differently on the day when George Harrison died and she was linking arms with McCartney when he gave his ‘heartfelt’ tribute to the media. Instead of wondering ‘What the fuck’s she doing there?’ I now ask myself ‘What the fuck’s he doing letting her into the shot?’ In fact, the words of tribute that were supposed to pour out of this music maestro’s mouth were of so little consequence that when ITV did a special news bulletin to commemorate Harrison’s life the first tribute came from Michael Palin, who worked on several Hand Made films (including Life of Brian).

I can now go back to hating McCartney again, although Ringo now runs him close for mantle of least favourite Beatle.

Posts: 115 | From: The Wirral Peninsula | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it’s understood that McCartney is not as popular or as talented as he thinks he is, despite his wealth.
What an incredible statement to make! Even if one doesn't like the Beatles. I'll agree that McCartney's creativity has run dry, as it did with Stevie Wonder. But lack of talent? Please!
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was it really a "two-tone suit"? Wasn't it red and green halves?
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Close.. blue and tan/beige, wasn't it?

Like some sort of late-70s Jimmy Page homage to Blackburn Rovers.

Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mitch
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Mitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say "not as talented as he thinks he is" is fair comment.

And it doesn't mean that he isn't/wasn't an incredibly gifted musician. Just that his ego manages to outstrip even that.

Like, in his autobiography, he compares himself as a film director to Fellini...

Posts: 1949 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hommage a Graeme Souness (the red shirt evokes both Liverpool and the red rose in Blackburn's badge):

-

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob,bob,bob & bob
Member # 4308

- posted      Profile for bob,bob,bob & bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not saying McCartney isn't talented, clearly he is. I just think he has a somewhat lofted opinion of himself, that's all.

And I apologise for my 'two tone' error. Lacking any sense of fashion I did not feel compelled to seek out the appropriate term for what was an interesting suit. And I much prefer the Jimmy Page analogy.

Posts: 115 | From: The Wirral Peninsula | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

I see. Granted, I don't know much about McCartney's self-perceptions.

And the whole Thumbs-up Macca act annoys me.

Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would like to ask though why on earth you think your status as an animal on this earth is privileged above that of any other.
I am no expert but doesn't every animal think that it is more privileged than any other? I assume we are the only ones who can question our own inferiority/superiority/equality
Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC