This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Sir Paul's divorce settlement (Page 8)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Sir Paul's divorce settlement
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't McCartney in The Beatles, doesn't that allow him to think he's king of the world?
Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
2) the home invasion principle: all creatures are equal until they invade my domain, at which point they become fair game. 3) the self-protection principle: they bring disease into my home and threaten the health of me and my family, therefore it is fair to exterminate them
I am not sure whether I agree with him or not in this interesting debate but am I the only one that is getting worried about SR's paranoia about other species on here?

First of all, he worries about seagulls that are peering into his window and now he feels that flies are staging a home invasion and threatening his family.

I don't know whether it was his move to the seaside that did it but I am concerned that, within months, he will have gone from a strong animal rights advocate to holed up in his flat with a shotgun shooting everything that he sees moving in a crazed fashion

[ 19.03.2008, 11:28: Message edited by: Bored Of The Dance ]

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucy Waterman It Be
Member # 1075

- posted      Profile for Lucy Waterman It Be     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Paul McCartney's actually quite humble, given his achievements. I don't know what comments or actions people are basing these claims of arrogance on.
Posts: 2972 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wingco
Member # 93

- posted      Profile for wingco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always suspect in Mccartney a pretence of unpretentiousness. In an Uncut interview with Jon Wilde, conducted out at his estate in Arizona he remarks, when Wilde says he lives in Brighton, "I've got a house in Brighton! We could have done this in a pub there over a plate of chips." It's quite clear, however, given the difficulties had in arranging the interview, quite normal for an artist of Macca's standing that that could never have happened.
Posts: 4035 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob,bob,bob & bob
Member # 4308

- posted      Profile for bob,bob,bob & bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't call him arrogant either, although his recent wish to have his name in front of John Lennon's when it came to the songs they wrote for the Beatles hardly smacks of humility.
Posts: 115 | From: The Wirral Peninsula | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucy Waterman It Be
Member # 1075

- posted      Profile for Lucy Waterman It Be     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wouldn't call him arrogant either, although his recent wish to have his name in front of John Lennon's when it came to the songs they wrote for the Beatles hardly smacks of humility.

I sympathise with that. Poor bastard has had forty years of idiots venerating Lennon while saying "hurr, McCartney, he wrote the Frog Song". It's one way he could redress the balance. He's only ever talked about having his name first in the songs he, erm, wrote. Himself, like.

It might mean I could stop having conversations like I did in the pub the other week with a bloke who claimed John Lennon was far better than Paul McCartney because Paul McCartney "could never have come up with a song like Back In The USSR." Nob.

Posts: 2972 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wingco
Member # 93

- posted      Profile for wingco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was McCartney, not Lennon, who carried The Beatles in their post-Sergeant Pepper phase and McCartney, not Lennon, who took a serious interest in avant garde and experimental music in the mid-60s. The whole John/Yoko thing often obscures this.
Posts: 4035 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucy Waterman It Be
Member # 1075

It's also worth noting that "Imagine" is just as banal as "We All Stand Together", but only one of them was written for children.
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Imagine is even worse, if anything.
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You did a good demolition job on that once, E10. Appealed to the Worst Kind Of Lefty, I think.
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's probably a bit harsh. Some good lefties like Imagine too - I just think it appeals to that part of the left that likes its cultural statements to be literal, simplistic and bereft of subtlety.
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was McCartney, not Lennon, who carried The Beatles in their post-Sergeant Pepper phase and McCartney, not Lennon, who took a serious interest in avant garde and experimental music in the mid-60s. The whole John/Yoko thing often obscures this.

I was listening to the Neon Neon mixtape the other day, and what turns up in the middle of it, none other than 'Temporary Secretary'.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Temporary Secretary" is a bit of a cliche, if anything. It was a staple of Electroclash DJ sets back in '01. Not that it isn't wicked, like.

Gruff Rhys and Paul McCartney have got previous: the latter chewed vegetables on Super Furry Animals' "Receptacle For The Respectable".

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
McCartney also did an ambient album under the name of The Firemen in the early 1990s, at the height of the ambient boom. It got good reviews, I seem to remember.
Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
McCartney seems to have made a habit of non-carnivourous mastication in the public ear. He performed on celery on the Beach Boys' Vegetables, commendably putting vegetarianism where his mouth is.
Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC