This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » The Return of Political Oratory. (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The Return of Political Oratory.
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, actually, taken out of the context (as I have done), that quote actually tells the truth. I wonder if that's what he meant?
Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for The Purple Cow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reed, are those "all the freshness of Ireland - bottled" ads on your Onion link genuine? or are they part of the joke?

If they are real, they are absolutely the worst TV adverts ever, particularly the one at the end.

Posts: 5801 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wyatt, I'm often told that both Dem candidates have pretty thorough policies set out on their websites, but the media ignores that preferring to concentrate on personalities, tactics and soundbites. However I can't confirm that as I too blinded by Obama's charisma and what he represents to want to delve too deeply into policy.
Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Likely because their policies are almost identical and are very unoriginal. A lot of small stuff - for the most part good and worthy policies which have been advocated for various groups for quite some time, but without much in the way of a theme unifying them.

In terms of promoting economic growth, both candidates positions boil down to "we need more training", plus some worrying language on trade. Neither of them (or McCain for that matter) strike me as having any kind of grasp on economics: all they have is a sense of what kinds of tinkering around the margins will please their base.

I would love to see all three of them answer the question "how is a job created"? I think the answers would be very instructive.

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Obama might turn out to be, as it were, a good king but a mediocre Prime Minister?
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mitch
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Mitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's his todo-list for the economy.

As said above, what's actually there is fair enough. But it's not much is it? For a campaign based around change and renewal.

Posts: 1949 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
His stuff on labour rights puts him considerably to the left of half the British Cabinet.
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Krauthammer foams at the mouth (again).
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Despite Obama's worrying pro-Israel statements, there's concern he's not pro-Israel enough to sway thoses votes. See here.
http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=a842e31f-aa7b-44c9-8e0a-13c108c405c6

Krauthammer is a tumbling, tumbling dickweed.

Interestingly, Mike Huckabee had a rather reasonable and fair response to the whole Jerimiah Wright thing.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/3/19/72716/0494/229/479797

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for The Purple Cow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops...

-

Posts: 5801 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and yes, those Irish Spring ads are real, TPC.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Krauthammer;

quote:
"Why not join another church?"

But that is not the question. The question is why didn't he leave that church?

Uh, that's kind of implied, isn't it Chuck?

That's actually about the least mad thing in that article.

[ 21.03.2008, 15:47: Message edited by: The Batebe of Toro Foundation ]

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has he ever been critical of Germany? Because that would be funny. Puerile, to be sure, but also funny.
Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He hated Schroeder for being "anti-American".
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's Wright's "chickens" speech.

You know, I actually think I agree with nearly every word in there.

Worth saying that it's apt Good Friday viewing, too...

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC