This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » "6-step reframing" (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "6-step reframing"
Raskolnikov
Member # 751

- posted      Profile for Raskolnikov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derren Brown, in his book, does a fairly comprehensive demolition job on much of NLP.
Posts: 651 | From: London, England | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just wonder why you feel so threatened by the idea that you can reframe your beliefs
I don't, not in the least.

I think we have to be careful about these things; I am fairly sure that my colleague is going to read my scepticism in this way: as some kind of "resistance". I think challenging your own views, and for a group to challenge it's collective views, and each other's opposing views is very valuable. I mean, that should be especially obvious from what I post on this board.

What I'm saying about NLP, is that NLP is not up to that task. It offers mumbo-jumbo where rigour is what's required.

[ 20.03.2008, 23:58: Message edited by: Super Sharp Shooter ]

Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NLP always struck me as a method to dazzle a girl in order to bed her by using some key words...Your mate ought to look towards CBT for something a bit more serious about changing your patterns of behaviour.
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's a starting assumption there that's very questionable. Have we identified something that needs changing? Because if we did, I missed that meeting.
Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fair enough, I would run as far as I can from anyone who pulled a trick like that in the workplace.
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

I don't think it's a "trick"; I think the guy genuinely believes there's value to this stuff, and his intention is quite clearly nothing more sinister than wanting things to work better and for everyone to do well.

I think he's wrong about what methods can bring that about, but I don't think he's acting in bad faith. So I think we can probably get to a good resolution. We'll see.

[ 21.03.2008, 00:32: Message edited by: Super Sharp Shooter ]

Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that NLP was connected with hypnotherapy but seemingly they are completely seperate but you seem to get people practicing both.

For what it is worth, I have had both and neither of them worked. Hypnotherapy has some worth as far as pain relief is concerned apparently, as with many of these therapies, not the myriad of stuff it is supposed to cure

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

There's a massive overlap between NLP and hypnosis, but there's also a big "People's Front of Judea" stand off between the two camps.
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A bloke I work with a lot (as a co-trainer) is into NLP and I think it plays a significant role in the way he trains. I think some of it can be quite useful, though I've never seen anything like the thing you posted at the beginning of the thread SSS. I mean that, obviously, is bollocks.

The stuff that I can see some merit in seems to revolve around pattern interrupts (making sure you are aware of any negative thought patterns you commonly enter into, such that you can interrupt the downward spiral of those thoughts), and the idea of using, as much as possible, positive language rather than negative language to express objectives. (Though I reckon most of what I've gleaned asbeing useful as coming from NLP seems, as SSS says, common sensical)

I;ve seen some stuff on motivating people which (I think) comes from NLP which is quite useful - basically along the lines of the idea that different people are motivated in different ways so when you're attempting to motivate a group you have to make sure you press all of their buttons, not just those who share your motivation style. (Again fairly obvious, but one of those things that is useful to be reminded of)

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC