This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Ash tying in

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ash tying in
Balderdasha
Member # 109

- posted      Profile for Balderdasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sherlock Holmes believes the identification of ash to be of utmost importance in solving crimes, as can be seen in 'The Sign of the Four'

"Oh, didn't you know?" he cried, laughing. "Yes, I have been guilty of several monographs. They are all upon technical subjects. Here, for example, is one 'Upon the Distinction between the Ashes of the Various Tobaccoes.' In it I enumerate a hundred and forty forms of cigar-, cigarette-, and pipe-tobacco, with coloured plates illustrating the difference in the ash. It is a point which is continually turning up in criminal trials, and which is sometimes of supreme importance as a clue. If you can say definitely, for example, that some murder has been done by a man who was smoking an Indian lunkah, it obviously narrows your field of search. To the trained eye there is as much difference between the black ash of a Trichinopoly and the white fluff of bird's-eye as there is between a cabbage and a potato."

Do modern forensic pathologists find this analysis to be of the same use or does the prevalence of the major cigarette companies mean that a gentleman is no longer so easily distinguished by his choice of smoke?

Posts: 1660 | From: age frais | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC