This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Search For The Official OTF Anti-Author (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Search For The Official OTF Anti-Author
Johnny Shedd
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Johnny Shedd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never read any Kafka. As I'm going to replenish my bookshelf tomorrow with a trip to Ottakars, what do y'all recommend for a first-timer?

[ 24-01-2003, 12:54: Message edited by: Keith Shedd ]

Posts: 494 | From: The Hideous Fen Of Huge Bigness | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Quiet Man
Member # 506

- posted      Profile for The Quiet Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get the short stories and read Metamorphosis and The Penal Colony. On your next visit, you'll get The Trial.

Assuming you can find this stuff in Ottakars of course. Mind you it's not the pre-Xmas period any more.

Posts: 6639 | From: The Chestnut Tree Café | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Shedd
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Johnny Shedd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers TQM. Yes, hopefully they'll have sold/burnt all the Big Book Of Willy Jokes & The Brooklyn Beckham Diaries that seemed popular about six weeks ago.
Posts: 494 | From: The Hideous Fen Of Huge Bigness | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also read the Castle, and America. Then you'll be wanting a good biography. Ernst Pawell's Nightmare of Reason isn't bad.
Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will no-one defend poor Fay?
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imp
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for imp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though by the time you read The Castle and America you'll be thinking, "Hmm, there's a pattern beginning to emerge here."
Posts: 4427 | From: such great heights | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Great Wall of China in the short stories is also very good, if frustratingly unfinished, like a lot of his work.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
His novels are all very similar (and all essentially unfinished), but there's a lot of variety in his short stories. There's one called Josephine The Mouse written close to his death which is serene and even borderline-happy.

His diaries are extraordinary- a very personal, intense, hallucinatory vision of the Kafka-esque hell found in his novels.

Kafka's a genius. Absolutely banging.

Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Shedd
Member # 77

Hmm, sounds like I might have to read a Christopher Brookmyre at the same time to lighten the mood or I might take a dive off the cliffs at Hunstanton.
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that was more fun than slagging off Jeffrey Archer and Barbara Cartland, n'est pas?

<edit - lern to typ>

[ 24-01-2003, 17:14: Message edited by: Gangster Octopus ]

Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Et apprenez Francais. N'est-ce pas?

[ 24-01-2003, 17:26: Message edited by: Wyatt Earp ]

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mais, oui. I was in a hurry to leave. That'll learn me...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Willie1Foot
Member # 18

- posted      Profile for Willie1Foot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a problem, Del-boy.
Posts: 3221 | From: the shores of Botany Bay | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC