This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » I Started Something I Couldn't Finish (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I Started Something I Couldn't Finish
gyp
Member # 963

- posted      Profile for gyp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update! After GY and Boris's comments about the Glass Bead Game I went back and gave it another shot. And it is a very readable book that I quite enjoyed. I think the reason I gave up the first time was just down to my disinterest in the characters. It seems like it's much more a book of ideas than a particularly compelling narrative. Anyway, I'm glad I was convinced to give it another shot.

Now what about Foucault's Pendulum? Is it worth the struggle?

Posts: 439 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started Run Rabbit by John Updike a few years ago, and lost interest in the total wanker of a main character within a hundred pages or so. I've never bothered to have another go.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, i've had a few goes at that myself.

It's poo, isn't it? Why on earth should we give a shit about this self-regarding twat?

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chopped Up Man
Member # 353

- posted      Profile for Chopped Up Man         Edit/Delete Post 
I had that problem with Portnoy's Complaint. "But... this bloke's just a wanker!"

I do think the Rabbit books are brilliant but I can see your point.

Posts: 756 | From: Semi-Essex | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

- posted      Profile for Mat Pereira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Should I try (yet) again?
Yeah, honestly. The first chapter is sort of the scene setter, describing your man's domestic life, the actual plot proper doesn't start until he goes to visit a government man in Chapter Two, and then all manner of madness kicks in from Chapter Three onwards. I won't tell you any more.

It's completely fantastic, seriously. Give it another go.

Posts: 9018 | From: The Sticks | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with Boris on Gormenghast. Couldn't read more than a hundred pages. The same was true of Don Quixote.

The last couple of books that I've finished but really shouldn't have bothered with because they are so indescribably dull and difficult were "A Heartbreaking Work..." by Dave Eggars and "A Book Of Memories" by Peter Nadas.

Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gormenghast is dense and oppressive, so I can see how it's difficult if you're not in the right frame of mind. Definitely worth the effort though, although the third book, when Titus goes out into the world, requires a considerable shift in the reader's attitude. After all that dark medievalism, it's a shock to find them driving around in motor cars.

The same is true of Don Quixote, although I am led to believe that the recent translation - which I haven't read - is much easier going (and manages to be so without losing any of the atmospherics).

Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC