This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » I Finished Something I Couldn't Start

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I Finished Something I Couldn't Start
Puggie Winnings
Member # 32

- posted      Profile for Puggie Winnings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Books you couldn't be bothered with, and skipped right to the end.

My earliest memory of this is with the Bible. Sod the hippy couple and their fruit-neurosis, I wanted to read about the whore with seven heads, and the lion with 6 wings, and eyes all over ("even under his wings") that we can look forward to seeing when things kick off.

I did it with Conrad's Lord Jim, as well. It was too dense, so I flicked to the end in hope that the lazy faintheart would get what he deserved...

[ 25.03.2005, 00:07: Message edited by: Puggie Winnings ]

Posts: 1119 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I skipped most of Dear Boy, the Keith Moon biography, and went straight to the bit in the index marked "pranks" or "practical jokes" or whatever.

Did the same with Aerosmith's Walk This Way, pretty much, although it didn't have an index.

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliban3
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for Caliban3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tristram Shandy, but I hardly think I'm alone. Then I went back and read the whole thing anyway, so I'm not sure that counts.
Posts: 2813 | From: The Tempest | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You did better than me with that. I was intrigued when I heard about this odd book, and namedropped it a lot when I was 18 and how the hero didn't even get born until a few hundred pages in.

Then I tried reading it. I struggle with Cloud Atlas, so it's not surprising that I didn't do much good with this.

But I did see a very good stage monologue of it.

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Radio 4 serialisation of Tristram Shandy a couple of months ago was superb - it achieved something I'd have though was near impossible, and did it really well.
Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Radio 4 serialisation of Tristram Shandy a couple of months ago..."

Aargh! Why does nobody tell me about these things?

Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Warlock of Firetop Mountain.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<applause>
Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC