This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » People who read books are cunts. (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: People who read books are cunts.
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Typical bloody armchair book fan. Some of us stay loyal to our hometown libraries, you know. I must travel thousands of miles a year to watch East Finchley Public Library play away, er, help, the metaphor's unravelling.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You still have libraries? We have Idea Stores in Tower Hamlets now. I think they're all seater.
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think they're all seater.
Now that made me laugh. I'd say we have a winner.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting really pissed off that furtho has not bothered to respond to my allegations.
Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

Oops, that reminds me of something. PM for furtho.
Furtho
Member # 902

- posted      Profile for Furtho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fucking do not read books and anyone who says I do can cook me FF's winning menu from the cooking competition, at FF's house.

(Actually, I generally don't look at the Books forum. Having spent some time as a librarian, it put me right off the whole idea: people who read books are not so much cnuts as completely demented.)

Posts: 2913 | From: The Slow Lane | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Balderdasha
Member # 109

- posted      Profile for Balderdasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You only need to venture into the Cambridge University Library to see that Furtho is completely correct on this issue. At this time of year all the antisocial, teetering-dangerously-on-the-line-between-genius-and-drooling-insanity students who have not been seen for the previous ten months are suddenly gripped by The Fear, crawl out of the woodwork and drape themselves between the book stacks. The building is a ripe location for a horror film as it is, dark narrow aisles, ticking lights, endless identical stairwells. People start trying to sleep there overnight, hiding out in a desperate bid to read more, more, more. I've heard secret ploys to hurl the rare books out of the windows where they will be caught be fellow book-junkies and whisked off on getaway bicycles. I suspect some of the inmates have adapted their digestive systems to process paper. Information is extracted colonically as a nutrition replacement.
Posts: 1660 | From: age frais | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is an improvement on City University at least where the libraries seemed to be a kind of social club in which phones went off every 5 seconds and the students babbled into the them in a strange argot that seemed to be half Guy Ritchie dialogue and half Tupac Shakur.

And to think the buggers charged me £3.50 for being a week overdue with a book. I only took the darn thing out because they couldn't give me anywhere quiet to read it.

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
S. aureus
Member # 949

- posted      Profile for S. aureus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that I ever ventured into the Cambridge University Library during my time there. It looked a rather scary temple to some sort of hideous elder deity out of Lovecraft from the outside, though. Gave me the fear when I had to go past at night.
Posts: 2324 | From: Pharmageddon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

quote:
I don't think that I ever ventured into the Cambridge University Library during my time there.
I went in once, with my girlfriend, who was an English student. Us spotty Maths herberts didn't read.
Balderdasha
Member # 109

- posted      Profile for Balderdasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's really odd. I have to go there quite a lot to find some of the more obscure books from my course. The anthropology books tend to be located on about the 5th / 6th floor which is usually eerily empty. Except occasionally a deranged looking male student will wonder in and stare at you. Once there was one still wearing his pyjamas and dressing gown. All the female students I know have ended up wondering how many people have been raped and murdered up there over the years.
Posts: 1660 | From: age frais | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SurfsUp
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for SurfsUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If books were invented after video games…

“Reading books chronically understimulates the senses. Unlike the longstanding tradition of gameplaying-which engages the child in a vivid three-dimensional world filled with moving images and musical soundscapes, navigated and controlled with complex muscular movements-books are simply a barren string of words on the page…

Books are also tragically isolating. While games have for many years engaged the young in complex social relationships with their peers, building and exploring worlds together, books force the child to sequester him or herself in a quiet space, shut off from interaction with other children.

But perhaps the most dangerous property of these books is the fact that they follow a fixed linear path. You can't control their narratives in any fashion-you simply sit back and have the story dictated to you….
This risks instilling a general passivity in our children, making them feel as though they're powerless to change their circumstances. Reading is not an active, participatory process; it's a submissive one.”

Posts: 2030 | From: A Golden State of Mind | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's brilliant, SurfsUp. Did you come up with that?
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SurfsUp
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for SurfsUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, I wish! That's a slightly tongue in cheek quote from Steven Johnson's "Everything Bad is Good For You" wherein he desconructs popular culture. Here, he's talking about how reading and playing video games represent different ways of learning. He proposes that what we think is making us dumber, i.e. popular culture, can in fact be making us smarter.

(edit: that should have said "deconstructs," not "destructs"--same difference I suppose)

So there's hope for us Paris Hilton fans, then.

I haven't read the book yet, it's next on my reading list, but there was a very good review of it in the May 16th issue of New Yorker from which I gleaned the above quote.

[ 26.05.2005, 23:35: Message edited by: SurfsUp ]

Posts: 2030 | From: A Golden State of Mind | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember - Mein Kampf was a book and look at the damage it did. Therefore, all books are right wing polemic.

This was a Fascistwatch (TM) announcement brought to you by OTF Guardians of Purity, no appointment necessary.

Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC