This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Unlikable narrators (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Unlikable narrators
Caliban3
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for Caliban3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd disagree that the "I" in Wuthering Heights is neutral; I think Nelly is utterly dislikeable. She's such a complete shit-stirrer, always bloody telling tales on people and really judgemental.

The "I" in Rebecca was annoying too, I think. Completely neurotic and paranoid, and a total wet fish at the same time.

Posts: 2813 | From: The Tempest | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliban3
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for Caliban3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't help but like the narrator in The Catcher in the Rye though.
Posts: 2813 | From: The Tempest | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Wuthering Heights I was thinking about the 'I' who narrates the introductory first chapter.
Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The "I" in Rebecca was annoying too, I think. Completely neurotic and paranoid, and a total wet fish at the same time.
Oh she was, but this just made me feel sorry for her, while reading it anyway. Almost as though she was a victim of circumstance rather than of her own personality. Certainly I found myself rooting for her (and thus also her husband) through the book, before wondering afterwards "just what the fuck was I doing there?"

It's what I found fascinating about the book - despite the fact I knew how she ended up from the first chapter, and it didn't seem like much of an existence, I still found myself desperately hoping she'd make it through.

A very clever piece of writing, which deliberately hooks the reader (well it did me) and then makes you feel a bit odd about it afterwards.

Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliban3
Member # 16

quote:
In Wuthering Heights I was thinking about the 'I' who narrates the introductory first chapter.
Ah, yes him. Lockwood. Well I didn't much like him either, but Wuthering Heighs was full of annoying people, wasn't it. He was completely stuck-up - a right townie demanding attention from the wrong people. But you're right in that he's pretty neutral, all the same.

I know what you mean, Jimski, it's afterwards that you start to think she deserved all she got. There's an intersting part in "Rebecca's Tale" (which is otherwise crap), that rewrites the story from the perspective of Rebecca, who comes across as really cool and makes the narrator look like a right mentalist.

Oolon Colluphid LLB
Member # 123

- posted      Profile for Oolon Colluphid LLB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Huckleberry Finn in terms of likable first person narrators.
Posts: 3194 | From: a Distance' is a rubbish song | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, when viewed objectively (rather than through the narrator's eyes) one can see Rebecca was far more sparky and full of character than the second wife. Able to think for herself, make her own decisions, and charm virtually everyone with whom she came into contact. Arguably a potential feminist icon, whereas the narrator is very much the opposite.

[ 09.09.2005, 20:41: Message edited by: Jimski ]

Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliban3
Member # 16

I nearly did my dissertation on how Rebecca was the narrator's alter-ego, and it was all autobiographical, and all to do with Du Maurier's lesbianism (or bisexuality), and how the "straight wife" is paranoid and unhappy about the "bi wife", who was exciting and sparky and the only one with an identity.
Jimski
Member # 115

Hey - I like that theory! It never occurred to me, but I can definitely see your point. Certainly I'd have wanted to read that dissertation had you written it.

[ 09.09.2005, 21:35: Message edited by: Jimski ]

Caliban3
Member # 16

I shall expand on my theory then and impress you at a later date.
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the I in high fidelity really gets on my fucking nerves. Was the nature of this character changed much for the movie?
Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not me
Member # 65

- posted      Profile for Not me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure, because I can never read more than two pages of that particular I without wanting to throttle him. I liked the film, though, which suggests either that the film's I is very different or that it's the drippy English specifics of the book's I that wind me up so much.
Posts: 4303 | From: The Ministry of the New New Super Heavy Funk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

- posted      Profile for Mat Pereira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never finished 'Rebecca'. I can't get past the opening chapter as yet. It's the first sentance that does it. Every time I read it, I think 'oooh, that's a famous first sentance' and it puts me off. I know I will like it once I read it. I watched the Hitchcock film as a kid and liked it. I've read loads of Du Maurier's short stories and really liked them. I've read 'House on the Strand' by her too, and really liked that. So I should read it, I think.

I have read 'High Fidelity' though and I hated it too. It's a very tired, resigned voice isn't it? someone unexcited by anything, who sees the prospect of being excited by anything completely alien or beneath him, he's Observer magazine culture to a tee, isn't he? I didn't like him at all, a completely ghastly bastard.

Posts: 9018 | From: The Sticks | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah he's a total cunt, and pretty much spends the rest of the book convincing us of this.
Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are any of Margaret Atwood's books 'narrated'? Cat's Eyes? If that is, I loathed her more than Nigel Winterburn and Martin Keown combined. And if not, I still loath her that much.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC