This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World Cup » 1966 archive

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1966 archive
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
they're all here, inscrutable north koreans, efficient germans, childlike african forwards, smouldering argentines, uncanny brazilian banana shots... a new yorker report on the 1966 world cup by alastair reid, worth a read if you've got time to burn....
Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The North Koreans proved to be the Teddy bears of the tournament—eleven little men in white with improbable names like Lim Zoong Sun and Pak Doo Ik, natural underdogs who ran themselves to exhaustion against a powerful and imperturbable Russian team, which won without difficulty, three goals to none. The crowd, however, had decided that the Russians needed no support, and put themselves noisily behind the Koreans. “Up the Wongs! Up the Diddies!” we heard them cry in the electronic distance, and the little men, when they got their breath, smiled inscrutably back and tore on to defeat.
Reid also wrote on the 70, 74, and 82 tournaments for the World Cup. I have the complete run of the New Yorker on disc--I'll print out his other ones (other writers did 86 and 94 (no 90), Anthony Lane did 98 (something that is undoubtedly written well but has nothing to do with the games) and Nick Hornby did 02) and see what they're like.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coffy
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Coffy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't the 1998 one by Adam Gopnik? Well, whoever wrote it, I recall really enjoying it, but to be honest, only two comments from it have stuck in my craw (in a good way) all this time: (1) players acting out the death scene from Camille to earn penalties and (2) the resemblance of Paul Ince to O. J. Simpson.
Posts: 3014 | From: where the action is | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right--I meant Gopnik.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Inca, any chance of sticking the 1982 one up here?
Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

No problem. Give me some time, and I'll have a Yousendit link. The 1970 one was pretty good, and I've been slowly dipping into 1978.
FCLymond
Member # 1308

- posted      Profile for FCLymond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just read one by Jeff Toobin a couple of weeks ago on this WC--pretty well-written, though (predictably) centered on "why the US will never be a great soccer power". Honestly, getting a bit tired of that meme. We suck--got it. That's why God made Fox Soccer Channel and GolTV.
Posts: 63 | From: Washington, D.C. | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant:

quote:
I stopped to talk to a solitary policeman who was shaking his head on a street corner. “Never seen the likes of it in me life, sir,” he said in wonderment. “The end of the war, they say, but I were no more than a nipper then. Course, Christmas, New Year, well, you expect it then. But if you’d have said to me three weeks ago when the Cup began that we’d he watching a night like this here, I’d have said you was plain barmy, begging your pardon, sir.”

Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

I'll get the 1982 write-up later today--have to scan a lot of pages. The New Yorker digital edition is a full scan of the magazine, and not just the text...so there are a lot of ads, unfortunately which I had to print out, so what could have easily been about 10 pages is more than 20.
Inca
Member # 675

The Sporting Scene: Mundial Notebook, November 1, 1982.
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good man, looking forward to reading that later on.
Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC