This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World Cup » Anti-Portugal Brigade (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Anti-Portugal Brigade
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
does this page from france football say portugal won the FIFA award for being the most attractive team at the world cup?
Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's in the BBC report too (at the end).
Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please, Deco's goal against Iran was running about 98% as beautiful as the build-up for Cambiasso's. Switching fields, runs going all over the place.
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Huzzah! With Zidane as player of the tournament, it's nothing but awards for world football's top headbutt heroes!
Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone at FIFA has a deliciously dark sense of humour.

I suppose hanging around with Sepp Blatter and Urs Linsi for a few years will do that to your psyche.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fausto Ptang
Member # 1183

- posted      Profile for Fausto Ptang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just listen to that sanctimonious bonehead Shearer

Ronaldo's wink was the highlight of the tournament for me.

Posts: 3654 | From: Out West | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morgan
Member # 92

- posted      Profile for morgan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well they were the most attractive team of the tournament in a completely different kind of way, yes. <slinks away>
Posts: 2109 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aavv
Member # 1173

- posted      Profile for aavv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, is it "we went out early, but at least we brought home our honour; rather this than disgracing our country with dirty, cheating tactics" this time around?

I'm still to be given an example of a situation where Portugal benefited from going down easily, putting pressure on the ref, etc. Alternatively, of how bad was the Portuguese gamesmanship against England, with clear examples. I mean, not to mention the Rooney incident, I've seen BBC footage of the Miguel injury in the half-final being used as an example of gamesmanship, for fucks sake...

From what I've seen and read over the last two weeks, one pictures England yelling "FAIR PLAY!" to everybody else, not realising just how flawed its own game is and how much its way of going out every two years is actually the archetypal example of lack of fair play. Seeing the BBC joining in just about shows how real a problem it indeed is. You would expect them to understand, seeing what happened in similar recent events, that this puts some peoples' security under threat, and that cultural relations could be (and, in fact, are being) severely harmed with all this semi-xenophobic drivel.

Posts: 229 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My main beef with Portugal was that they played such inexplicably attack-phobic football. It's not as if they didn't have the capability - Maniche's goal against Holland was one of the best of the tournament - they just didn't seem to have the intent. It would have served them right if they'd failed to get past a becalmed, insipid England. Only one of their matches was any good, and that was largely because an enterprising Mexico had a good go at them. In footballing terms, Portugal are the new Germany.
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan
Member # 39

- posted      Profile for Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, Portugal are the opposite of Germany. Completely toothless and ineffective.
Posts: 10341 | From: London Overground | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, a rubbish equivalent of Germany 20 years ago.
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan
Member # 39

- posted      Profile for Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah.
Posts: 10341 | From: London Overground | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edie
Member # 1259

- posted      Profile for edie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
aavv said: "So, is it "we went out early, but at least we brought home our honour; rather this than disgracing our country with dirty, cheating tactics" this time around?"

A bit like the "we're only a small country, we never get the decisions" excuse? I would say the consensus is Ronaldo's a berk, but we went out because we're rubbish. The reason why we're rubbish is a matter of debate.

"I'm still to be given an example of a situation where Portugal benefited from going down easily, putting pressure on the ref, etc. Alternatively, of how bad was the Portuguese gamesmanship against England, with clear examples. I mean, not to mention the Rooney incident, I've seen BBC footage of the Miguel injury in the half-final being used as an example of gamesmanship, for fucks sake..."

The BBC showed this as an example of how the Portuguese constantly screamed for non-existent fouls - in this case on Miguel - despite there being no-one near him when he went down, not as an example of him diving. You don't have any problem with how Portugal play? Whether you benefit from it or not is irrelevent.

"From what I've seen and read over the last two weeks, one pictures England yelling "FAIR PLAY!" to everybody else, not realising just how flawed its own game is and how much its way of going out every two years is actually the archetypal example of lack of fair play."

England isn't just the tabloid press and hooligans; people were angry at first but then the rational side of the brain kicks in and everyone has been criticising everything from the FA, Sven and the players to the way we play.

We get this at the end of every big tournament fiasco along with the scapegoating (although Ronaldo, Urs Meier, Diego Simeone and Maradona are particularly unsympathetic targets). Then the prem wankathon starts and it's all forgotten til it's cranked up again for the next tournament.

BBC1

BBC2

BBC3

"Seeing the BBC joining in just about shows how real a problem it indeed is. You would expect them to understand, seeing what happened in similar recent events, that this puts some peoples' security under threat, and that cultural relations could be (and, in fact, are being) severely harmed with all this semi-xenophobic drivel."

It's difficult, does the media follow or shape attitudes? The press hands out vitriolic abuse every day, it's when foreigners like Ronaldo are subject to it it becomes an international incident.

If this reads like a defence of our media it isn't, I think our press are a national embarrassment (a bit like the football team) and wish they could be a bit more humourous as opposed to this rabidness we get every time. But I've certainly read xenophobic, deluded drivel from the Portuguese since the win.

[ 14.07.2006, 00:01: Message edited by: edie ]

Posts: 276 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say the consensus is Ronaldo's a berk, but we went out because we're rubbish.

Yes, and isn't that consensus the problem? This determination to cut the reasons why England went out into two supposedly equally valid halves, one being the actual five performances out on the pitch and the other being Ronaldo? England were utter bollocks in every game, apart from the first half of the Sweden match -- even when up against a limp Portugal team which couldn't score goals if you put submachine guns to their heads, they couldn't respond with anything better than sweat-drenched, batten-down-the-hatches resistance and a grim resolve to cling on for a penalty shoot-out that they never had any hope of winning.

So in the English press this immediately gets turned into "Okay, we're not that good, BUT RONALDO IS A CHEATING CUNT WHO WRECKED OUR WORLD CUP!!!!!" Whereas in reality, Ronaldo winking at Big Phil just after the Rooney sending-off represents zero per cent of the many, many reasons why England were rubbish at the 2006 World Cup finals.

[ 14.07.2006, 00:59: Message edited by: Citizen Smith 2.0 ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edie
Member # 1259

- posted      Profile for edie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, do people really still blame Ronaldo for us going out of the WC? They were angry with him at first, but I think the penny dropped after a day or two (hopefully) and the discussion's moved on. Certainly with people I know.

[ 14.07.2006, 00:07: Message edited by: edie ]

Posts: 276 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC