This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World Cup » This tournament - how will it be remembered? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: This tournament - how will it be remembered?
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing we can all get most excited about is who we desperately DON'T want to win, something that isn't a regular feature of OTF tournament following. That chimes in with my feeling that this competition, though setting records for viewing figures, merchandising, etc., is not capturing the general imagination. Controversy dogs the Italians and Portuguese, the Germans are the hosts and had a draw they could warm up their average-team grindathon with and the French have put off arguing just long enough to play a couple of good games but are full of aging old buffers who could fall out spectacularly at any moment.

Even Korea/Japan retains more of an aura of magic and mystery than this competition has do far acquired. So what will the long term legacy be? Could this be where the 1990 feelgood factor starts to go into reverse?

Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JerryFranc
Member # 1584

- posted      Profile for JerryFranc         Edit/Delete Post 
what "1990 feelgood factor?" the feeling good that 2006 will at least not be as bad as 1990?
Posts: 265 | From: u.s. southwest | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rick derris
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for rick derris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think its been shit

cant believe everybody hates 90, thought that was good.

except the final

Posts: 4512 | From: bat country | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that last bit may be more of an English angle. The rest of it holds good for everywhere else, I think, though.
Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty certain that now Brazil are out, next Sunday's final will have the lowest viewing figure ever for a World Cup Final on British television. Less than 3m, I reckon, especially if it's Italy-France.

ITV may even cancel its coverage altogether and put on an old episode of The darling buds of May , instead.

So in terms of how the end of the tournament is remembered, I don't think it will be.

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having been there, I will remember it as my first world cup and talking to people who've been to a few others, it was a great party in a proper football country which has not been the case since 1990. The football, bah, you get all worked up about your team and you think all the others aren't that good or you expect too much from them.
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rick derris
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for rick derris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, that last bit may be more of an English angle. The rest of it holds good for everywhere else, I think, though
easy statto
Posts: 4512 | From: bat country | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will be remembered for Zidane rising Bixente Lazarus style to steer France to Total World Glory.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tee-Rex
Member # 609

- posted      Profile for Tee-Rex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will be remembered as the tournament where the world was in thrall to a new generation of heroes, and kids everywhere rushed out into the streets to practise walking stiffly from the halfway line to the penalty spot, breathing heavily, eyes focused, dreaming of Ein Elfmeter Bonito.
Posts: 3795 | From: tomorrow, your time | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Max Payne.
Member # 1428

- posted      Profile for Max Payne.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheats prospered. Italy style match fixing waiting to be exposed.
Posts: 958 | From: Exeter, NY | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trimster
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Trimster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the first time since 1982, all four semi finalists are European teams.

Maybe we can now finally stop all that jogo bonito rubbish... with Brazilians doing almost unbeleivable ball tricks being used constantly in TV commercials. After all, in a real game, nobody ever has time to do those tricks.....

Posts: 317 | From: somewhere nice | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erwin
Member # 403

- posted      Profile for erwin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
After all, in a real game, nobody ever has time to do those tricks.....
Well ... Zidane manages to make time to do them and actually make them significant ...
Posts: 3378 | From: just this side of beyond all hope | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Max Payne.
Member # 1428

- posted      Profile for Max Payne.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe we can now finally stop all that jogo bonito rubbish
Yeah. Fuck off Nike.
Posts: 958 | From: Exeter, NY | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For the first time since 1982, all four semi finalists are European teams.
Which is why the results of the last two days have made me really depressed. Not that I have great feeling for either Argentina or Brazil, but in the grand scheme of things...four European teams? I don't know, I'm just not really interested right now. I'll watch, of course, and I'm sure I'll pick a team I hope wins it all, but still...
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fritz in a fez
Member # 911

- posted      Profile for fritz in a fez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually a France v Germany final could yet happen and could yet define the tournament.

They do actually look the best two sides in the tournament.

Overall thugh too much negative thinking by players and coaches and the cheating is really getting me down.

At least half the players in the tournament are looking to dive at any opportunity, every team seems to be trying to get opposition players sent off, and most of the players seem intent on rolling around in agony to bring about stoppages in play.

Posts: 4815 | From: London | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC