This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World Cup » This tournament - how will it be remembered? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: This tournament - how will it be remembered?
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless the semis and the final produce some exoplosive football, the tournament will be remembered for some indifferent football and stars that refused to shine. Which is a great pity, because the vibe at the tournament deserved something much better.
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan Mountstuart the 3rd
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Logan Mountstuart the 3rd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it will be remembered for making Germans happy again, for confirming Zidane's greatness, for Cambiasso's goal, and yes, for getting rid of all that Brazil crap. I'd like to see a new Brazil team in the next tournament, full of 21 year old non - superstars with no commercial contracts.
Posts: 1774 | From: a sea of lactic acid | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's something quite refreshing about how, for the third tournament running, a competition promoted as a chance to see Big Pre-Ordained Celebrities doing their fancy tricks has again come up against the reality that football is a team game. Look at the BBC's opening credits - Ronaldinho balances the ball on his back, Stevie G belts one several hundred yards across the Brandenburg Gate. Where are they now? What did they do?

Ultimately though, the real damage has been done by the elimination of the team that did produce the best combination of individual skill and team technique in the early stages - Argentina, thanks to negative coaching and substitutions. If this tournament sparks a backlash against that (and, hopefully, against play-acting and histrionics) then there may be some good to come out of it.

It's not been bad at all, but it's lacked true greatness and true excitement when it's come to the crunch.

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stevie G spent most of this World Cup belting the ball hundreds of yards.
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The_Liquidator
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for The_Liquidator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Started off great, faded badly. The knockout stages have been pony.
Posts: 6801 | From: The city to the sticks | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Auntie Beryl
Member # 1082

- posted      Profile for Auntie Beryl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As the first World Cup I made it to, on a personal basis it will always be remembered; on a general level it's been more about what hasn't happened than what has. And that's a pity.
Posts: 1450 | From: west by south | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd slightly amend the Liquidator's post to accomodate my own opinion: Started off okay faded badly. The knockout stages have been pony.

I've found this competition terribly disappointing.

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would have been better if England has been knocked out sooner. Or not qualified at all.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or been staged in Mexico.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Materazzi's exaggerated dive to the floor whilst Zidane was trying to tie his bootlaces
Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TV's 'Mr P'
Member # 164

- posted      Profile for TV's 'Mr P'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What G-Man said.
Posts: 10682 | From: the vaults of the biggest record collection in the world... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grosso's 119th minute goal.
Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frei handball at the 93rd minute vs France with Djourou right behind him about to nod the ball in... There won't be any discussion of Zidane being sent off in the final now if he had thought one more second...

A great personnal memory, so glad I went there despite my scepticism. A confirmation that Switz is putting in place something good, let's get working on that offensive play now, please...

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan
Member # 39

- posted      Profile for Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think France would have qualified anyway, ahead of Korea on goal difference. Innit.
Posts: 10341 | From: London Overground | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frei handball at the 93rd minute vs France with Djourou right behind him about to nod the ball in... There won't be any discussion of Zidane being sent off in the final now if he had thought one more second...

Instead it'll be taken up with discussion of what a horrible hateful little cheat Frei is, and how he is so focussed on cheating he hurts the team.

The Bastard

Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC