This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World Cup » This tournament - how will it be remembered? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: This tournament - how will it be remembered?
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian McBride bleeding...Koller jumping 10 feet in the air to destroy four years of US preparation in 5 minutes...How quick the old guard got revenge for 2002...Maxi Rod's volley... How inspirational France 3:1 Spain was...falling in love with a man named Franck...Zidane's masterclasses until he went ballistic...Wacky Togo...Del Piero 120th minute
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your glass is always half full, jason.
Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. If the average lifespan is 60-70 years, you only get to see 24 WCs during your lifetime. I'm already through 7 of them.

Going back through the pictures on www.worldcup.com, I think it was a very good WC. The new teams helped to spice it up, even if the games weren't as good. Because you had no idea of how Togo, Angola, or Australia were, the anticipation of anything happening at any time was pretty great.

I'm even at peace with Italy winning. I'm at peace with ZZ going nuts. While the football may have not been the best, this was certainly the most dramatic and cinematic WC I've ever seen. It was all brilliant drama.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought the football - with the exception of two games that I can recall - was desperately poor.

Italy almost had me with that semi-final performance, but after an okayish first half of the final they reverted back to type and the last seventy five minutes of the match was purgatory and all the goodwill that they had accrued from neutrals like me had been flushed down the pan.

I swear I didn't care who won the penalty shoot-out. The idea of 'moral victors' is absurd when both teams are so lacking in ambition.

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
How's The Bairn?
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for How's The Bairn?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How will the tournament be remembered for me?

By the vast majority of everyone I know looking at the tournament with nothing but the most pessimistic thoughts whirling around, and not just sitting back and enjoying the fucking thing. Thus getting on my nerves and subsequently stemming my enjoyment of the tournament.

Of poorly-educated (in the football sense) pricks declaring it the worst tournament ever because of a "lack of goals". GOOD GAMES DON'T NEED TEN GOALS!!!!!

Of the very same people exonerating badly behaved footballers because they might have been provoked. As if these world-class sportsmen in their twenties and thirties couldn't ever be held responsible for their own actions.

Of the very same people bemoaning the fact that referees were influenced by players into making decisions they seemed to have already made. As if referees haven't got minds of their own.

But most of all, this tournament will be remembered - by me, at least - for some brilliant defending, it's more than fair share of very good goals, and a World Cup that probably had four or five favourites throughout the tournament. All in all, a good tournament.

Posts: 2592 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excluding that all footballers are cheating, diving, play-acting, or thuggish cunts... pretty fondly actually.
Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kettle, nobody on here, as far as I can remember (I'll be gladly proved wrong), advanced the argument that it was a crap World Cup because there weren't enough goals. The lack of goals was a symptom, not a cause.

There just weren't enough good (note: not classic, just good) games over the four weeks and 64 fixtures. Not nearly enough for it to be described as a fine tournament. In my opinion . . .

If the average lifespan is 60-70 years, you only get to see 24 WCs during your lifetime.

I dunno. I'm 30 and the first tournament I watched properly was Mexico 86, when I was ten (I saw a couple of glimpses of Espana 82 but the average six-year-old doesn't really take these things in properly). If I live to be 70, I will see ten more World Cups. That will make a total of sixteen WCs.

Mind you, the way the last two have gone, I'm not sure my interest will hold up that long.

[ 12.07.2006, 01:32: Message edited by: Citizen Smith 2.0 ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
How's The Bairn?
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for How's The Bairn?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note the lack of use of "on here" on that. I've heard it from wife's workmates, parents of the kids I coach (I usually changed the subject of conversation there and then when I heard them say that), from people on the radio (not just radio five - every station has been battering the football throughout). Can't say I can pluck an example on here from my arse - I've too much of a life to go through here with a fine toothcomb.
Posts: 2592 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Citizen- I think Jason meant he could expect to enjoy 14 World Cups, not 24?
Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oadlad
Member # 1613

- posted      Profile for Oadlad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I live to seventy then that was my last. What a way to go, but wait, I am hale and hearty and popping the right pills so come on Steve, surprise me.
Posts: 157 | From: Leicester UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC