This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World Cup » Penalty shootouts (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Penalty shootouts
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that penalty shootouts are a perfectly good way of settling drawn matches in tournament circumstances. In fact they are brilliant. A replayed match would be a nightmare to organise, increase the damage to pitches and leave the victorious side at a collossal disadvantage in the next round, what with the increased amount of football played and the reduced recovery time.

People call penalties a lottery but that's a load of crap. The only thing they have in common with a lottery is that England have a 1 in 14,000,000 chance of winning one. The team with the broadest shoulders and the best technique will win. Simple as that. And that's the way it should be. Compare the penalties Germany took against argentina with those Switzerland or England took. It's as plain as the nose on your face that Germany are a better and more accomplished side than those two. The penalties just throw that fact into sharp relief.

I might not always like the outcome, but that goes just as well for replayed matches.

Basically, stop whining.

Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's not bad MM, but I'd do it like this:

Coin flip. Winner gets to chose either to start first or pick which corner.

From there on, chances would rotate corners in a clockwise fashion.

After the first touch, the offensive side has 10 seconds to get into the box, or thereabouts. Around that 10 second mark, the ref would have discretion to tell them to hurry up and get it in* (sort of like in lacrosse). After that, when it leaves the box, the corner is over.

I'd do it sudden death-style or maybe best of three then sudden death. Five seems too long and we'll get calls from the TV people wanting pks back.

* If you say "that's what she said" one more time, I'm gonna pop you.

[ 03.07.2006, 21:11: Message edited by: Wrieghd ]

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PG, it is pretty hard to argue with the basic fact that, in the end, the side with the most talent and the biggest balls almost always wins the penalties.

-

Where is ganja, btw?

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The phrase 'too much fanny dangle' was coined to pithily reject ideas like this corner one.

What PG said. It's easy to score a penalty. Watch a German. Watch David Villa. It's a skill any good pro can master. Whether they can do it on the day is as important a part of the make-up of a good player as whether they are technically any good.

More related to the stuff on replays, I recall from my 1982 Ladybird world cup book that there was a replay scheduled for the 1982 final if needed.

Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posty Webber
Member # 325

- posted      Profile for Posty Webber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watch C Ronaldo.

The 6-a-side idea has to be the stupidest I've ever heard.

After 120 minutes of ball-busting intensity, let's play 30 minutes of 6-a-side on a full pitch.

All that'll prove is who's the better 6-a-side team. Big deal.

Posts: 1019 | From: the family Hominidae | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PG's spot on (see what I did there?). Corner shoot-outs? Good grief, why not just make it compulsory to introduce midget goalkeepers for extra-time.

Knowing England are going to lose as soon as shoot out is necessary is no reason the rest of the world should suffer such indignities.

Jose Mourinho makes a good point in The Times today about sending Lampard up first and England's reaction to his miss.

Mind you, The Times also calls Gerrard and Rooney England's only world class players, which is two more than I thought they had.

Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefe
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for jefe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see a replay for the final. Apart from that, this is the only circumstance where reviving the NASL/MLS shootout might be appropriate: 35 yard run in, 5 seconds to shoot. That's got to be better than penalties, which is more first team to screw up loses rather than better team wins. To me at least.
Posts: 1511 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care about England's chances. I just would prefer to see a football match settled by which team is better at actually playing football, not just hitting a point blank shot.

The old MLS-style shootout was more interesting, but seemed to always be a torn ACL waiting to happen.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defensive-minded
Member # 493

- posted      Profile for Defensive-minded     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about taking throw-ins with points given for distance and style.

[ 04.07.2006, 09:41: Message edited by: Defensive-minded ]

Posts: 972 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who was that bloke who played for Tranmere? Challinor? He'd get in the England squad. And was it him who did the whole body flip, or am I thinking of someone else?
Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cosa arancione calda
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for cosa arancione calda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that both Ipswich and England have an abysmal record in shootouts (one win each, I believe) is proof enough that the better team almost inevitably prevails.
Posts: 645 | From: High on a hill looking down | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about scoring more than the opposition during the bloody game - that'll end penalty shoot outs.
Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dormant
Member # 17

- posted      Profile for Dormant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand the problems that a replay creates for ticketing and security and the like. But I think it would be a good thing to have a replay for the World Cup final.

They could actually schedule the replay in advance. Then, either:

- All tickets for the final are valid for the replay.

- Sell the replay tickets in advance very cheaply, so it's a bit like a lottery. If, by some miracle, there is no need for a replay, have a meaningless match for anyone that comes to watch. The third-place playoff, perhaps.

Of course, you still have the same problem if the replay is a draw. But I would feel happier about penalties if they came after two draws insead of one.

Posts: 1287 | From: a state of near-panic | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defensive-minded
Member # 493

- posted      Profile for Defensive-minded     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree
Posts: 972 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thom
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for thom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday was, for me, the final argument against penalties. Why score goals when you can win on penalties instead? Italy possessed the more able players, yet still decided to defend a draw for over an hour.

The remove-a-player-every-ten-minutes idea forces teams to actually score a goal. Penalties don't.

[ 10.07.2006, 10:14: Message edited by: thom ]

Posts: 3135 | From: The heart of Midlothian | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC