This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World Cup » Penalty shootouts (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Penalty shootouts
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
rather than replaying or taking penalties, why not allow a further three or more substitutions from the start of extra time? after all, the whole squad is on the bench these days. that way extra time would not be an exercise in most players simply attempting to remain on their feet rather than collapse from exhaustion.

so extra time becomes like a replay without actually being a replay. simple, but brilliant.

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To Spenzo: Of course. Any solution is going to present new opportunities for exploitation and hence new problems. If players play for deflections, as you describe, then defenders will most likely, back off. The attacking player will then be in a situation when he'll have to take on a defender, pass, or get booked for timewasting.

[ 10.07.2006, 20:53: Message edited by: Amor de Cosmos ]

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alderman Barnes
Member # 121

- posted      Profile for Alderman Barnes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong with penalties?

Why change things around and make things even more unwieldy than they already are? Let's have two refs, four umpires, video replays, radio tags in balls, umpteen replays. Heaven forfend anything unfair might happen. Well, at least not in important football with lots of money riding on it.

Sometimes shit happens - it's always been like that. Sometimes the wrong team wins. That's football - that's why it's great: because it's not a matter of life or death, because it's not a religion. It's only a game, and that's exactly the way it should be.

[ 10.07.2006, 21:14: Message edited by: Alderman Barnes ]

Posts: 4862 | From: the home of the Herzmeister | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A World class player should easily score a penalty; that they don't shows that factors other than pure ability are at work. Just like football. It's not what you can do, it's what you do do.
Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan
Member # 39

- posted      Profile for Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the last two posts.
Posts: 10341 | From: London Overground | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't. By that logic. There shouldn't be any officials at all, just let them work it out for themselves. It's just a game.

Besides, like I said, the issue isn't fairness. It's just so anticlimatic. Like a movie that's going along really well and is then spoiled with a sudden, implausbile deus-ex machina twist at the end, roll credits. It's that WTF feeling of emptiness that I'd like to eliminate.

I'm sure there's a sexual metaphor here too, but I'll leave that as an excercise for the reader.

[ 10.07.2006, 22:48: Message edited by: Reed ]

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fritz in a fez
Member # 911

- posted      Profile for fritz in a fez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You just have to get over the feeling tha tpenalty shoot outs are a lottery. They are not they are the ultimate test of nerve and technique.

Sides with that will succeed. Sides without it fail. It also puts pressure on the weakest parts of the team.

Posts: 4815 | From: London | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree they're not a lottery, but they are like settling the world snooker championship with a game of bar billiards.
Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fritz in a fez
Member # 911

- posted      Profile for fritz in a fez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are part of the game and if the premise is that the game must be settled on a given night then I think they are a good solution.

I liked the suggestion that there could be 3 additional subs brought on at the begining of extra time. i think that would go a long way to settling the issue as fresh forwards may often be facing tiring defenders. Of course Italy would probably bring on new defenders.

Posts: 4815 | From: London | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think anyone can argue that penalties are a lottery, or that they don't involve a test of nerve and skill. I think the argument is whether a separate competition, which bears no resemblance to what football actually consists of, should be used to settle a drawn match.
Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that for any particular kick, from the keeper's perspective, it is largely a lottery, but since both keeper faces that same problem, over the five kicks a piece, that balances out. It usually comes down to which team has a guy that misses and/or makes it too easy to stop.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. And if there's going to be a non-football contest deciding the outcome, shouldn't we get to see something with some explosions or hot girls or both?

[ 11.07.2006, 03:06: Message edited by: Reed ]

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i like the idea of the 35-yard shootout where the attacker has to run towards the goal and score, maybe with a 10 second time limit or something to add pressure. at least there'd be a bit more scope for skill and variation. penalties are boring.
Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. The NASL Shootout getting a Shoutout instead of Shutout. I never thought I'd see the day.

It's pretty good, but the timing thing is weird. There's no time limits in football (other than the never-ever-enforced 6-second rule,) and if you think goalkeeper-moving controversies are bad, wait'll someone shoots at 0:01 on the clock. It's also slightly unnatural, as goalkeepers often can run out of the penalty area in time, but have to stay on the line. They're quite ugly, as the goal ends up a yard big (with the perspective of the goalkeeper right at their feet,) and there's so many shots that end up banging off the keeper's shins. Like 5 or 6 shots in a row. In the end, it feels even faker than penalties.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By all means, let's replace one gimmick with another.
Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have a real shootout. With guns.
Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC