This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World Cup » Penalty shootouts (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Penalty shootouts
Loose Cannon ?
Member # 642

- posted      Profile for Loose Cannon ?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The quality of the penalties at the final was very good - apart from the first Italian one which would have hit Barthez on the sron if he hadn't dived. After that, the shots were all very good.
Ironically the best french ones were from Abidal (left back) and Sagnol (right)compared to the strkers (Trezeguet). Sagnol in particular had the biggest pressure shot since he had to score to keep Frances faint hopes alive.
A drastic contrast with some of the earlier shoot outs in the competition (England, Switzerland, Ukraine)

Posts: 1904 | From: a grassy knoll | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm scouring my anatomical dictionary, but...
Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AdC's proposal of using corners as a tie-breaker is used, I'm told, in some local 7-a-side tournaments in the DC area. I had a roomate once who was one of the better keepers on the local amateur "scene" and he said that some tournaments they played in did it that way.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andy - srón (pronounced "shrone") is the wonderfully onomatopoeic Irish word for "nose".
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How is that onomatopoeic?
Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan
Member # 39

- posted      Profile for Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't Ireland though, is it.

Although you'd be forgiven for thinking...

Posts: 10341 | From: London Overground | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When someone has a big shrone in the middle of their face. It just is, it's hard to explain.
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't Ireland though, is it.

No, it's the internet.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fatbastard, Hugh Fatbastard
Member # 1538

- posted      Profile for Fatbastard, Hugh Fatbastard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's like deciding a baseball game with a Home Run Derby or a basketball game with a three-point contest.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly.

But not necessary.

In basketball you play 5 minute overtime periods ad nauseam until the tie is broken at the end of play. Scoring opportunities are frequent. The game is usually decided fairly quickly (one or two overtimes - they can go longer but generally don't as a rule).

In baseball you just tack on an inning until one is completed and the deadlock is broken. Every pitch is a run scoring opportunity. These games often end within 3 extra innings (rarely do they go 15 plus innings).

Without penalties football matches could exceed cricket matches in duration.

Posts: 1243 | From: upon high | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eighties casual
Member # 645

- posted      Profile for eighties casual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not perfect, far from it but you'll never get anything that is. Certainly not any of the alternative suggestions I have heard.

The thing is that the teams have had 120 minutes to settle the issue and couldn't/wouldn't. How many goals do you actually see scored in extra time? As soon as it gets to the 80th minute most teams will basically settle for penalties.

Therefore I suggest they remove extra-time and have penalties after 90 minutes, I wonder if that would provide more resolutions in normal time? Maybe not but it would get rid of extra-time which is utterly pointless.

Posts: 2185 | From: Paxton Road | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember watching one such thing on C5 late at night, MLS game ended drawn and the players had to run from the halfway line and bang a goal in. Amusingly, one of the strikers got fouled in the box by the goalie and was awarded a penalty...
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolf 2
Member # 1331

- posted      Profile for Wolf 2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hold on, whats wrong with Mumpo's idea?

reset the substitutes at full-time. Both managers can throw on 3 fresh subs for the 30 minutes of extra time. Hell, they could concievably make it 6, with 3 regular time subs thrown on on the 89th minute and another 3 after the full-time break.

It would involve the entire team, tactical know-how and balls from the manager. and as Mumpo said it would be like a mini-replay.

Then if teams decide to play for it, at least they're playing for something positive.

Course, you still need to decide a draw after extra time.

Posts: 2032 | From: this world to the next. | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MM, that's the NASL shootout.

I've played in a few tournaments with corner kicks as the tie-breaker. They suck. It's wonderful when teams will purposely dribble to the corner to bang it off the other team's legs. Or in England's case, long balls to the corner all night long. Teams will play for the 0-0 (7-4 CKs,) and wait'll the first final is decided on 0-0, with one team making a bad back pass for a corner as the decider. No thank you.

The taking-players-off is pretty cool, but not perfect. I remember seeing a game go down to 3v3. A goalkeeper got the ball, ran to the edge of the penalty area and rolled it to himself, and before long it was a 3 v 0 breakaway that they scored on (the GK had a mohawk and clown pants on, and after scoring the Golden Goal he jumped on and swang from the opposing team's crossbar, so no one who saw that game ever forgot it.) Again, do you want a World Cup final decided with 2 v 2 on a 120 yard field ?

Who knows.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is adding more subs like a mini-replay? In replays, it is normal for both teams to start with the team they used in the original drawn match.

Reed, I think that the other (former) keepers on here would agree that penalties aren't a lottery from the keeper's perspective either. If they are well taken, they are literally unstoppable, although that has become slightly less the case now that keepers can move on their line and moving off the line (which is much more effective than moving laterally, as it changes the inherent trigonometry significantly) is often winked at.

The NASL shootout was often fun to watch, but in the way that a NHL skill competion in which guys try to break plates hung in the corners of the goal is fun to watch. It had less to do with the game itself than penalities do, as a one on one breakaway from 35 yards is something that almost never happens in serious football.

I also think that EOLB's idea of abolishing extra time is awful, as it would only encourage weaker sides with good keepers to play for penalties from the opening kickoff. Extra-time (particularly without the golden/silver goal) makes it harder for that tactic to survive.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope JV, it was a MLS game, C5 used to show them late at night over here.
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC