This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World Cup » Zidone (Page 15)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  26  27  28   
Author Topic: Zidone
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zidane downplayed it. Thankfully. He apoligized to the kids watching and said Materazzi said some "harsh words" about his mother and sister.
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe there was nothing to downplay.
Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. Reading Zidane's quotes, it seems to me that, after all, he was simply pissed off by Materazzi failing to show him the respect Zidane obviously felt he was due, and treating him like any other forward. All that bollocks about "all the children", who does he think he is, Michael Jackson?

Linus is going to eat some huge humble pie on here, methinks.

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We'll see.
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

The interviewer didn't ask one question if it was racially motivated. Either (A) Zidane's letting people like myself to keep believing that it was "terrorista puttana madonna," in which case he's a prick who's unfairly sticking it to Materazzi. (B) It was racist, and by saying so, he will unleash an international incident/firestorm if he confirms it. By avoiding it, he is hoping to avoid potential deaths during the riots that will happen in Afghanistan and Pakistan. (C) Materazzi's story changes day-to-day. The father stepping in to say that his mother died, and Materazzi saying he doesn't know what a terrorist is, are all pretty f*cking fishy.

Zidane had every right to apoligize to the children watching, and it was commendable to do so.

dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see it but I imagine the interviewer asked what motivated it giving him ample opportunity to mention the race issue had it been pertinent.

The arrogance thing is telling, in Materazzi's account Zidane was pretty arrogant to him which caused him to swear back.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
jv, maybe you're right that Zidane, after a couple of cold days of reflection, has decided to keep a lid on Materazzi's alleged racist insult. Maybe it was so heinous that, although worthy of physical assault and career-ending ignominy at the time, after two days it no longer seems that you even want to tell anyone what it was, despite your obvious shame and inner fury about being made a worldwide scapegoat for one of the most high-profile stupid acts ever committed on a football pitch.

[ 12.07.2006, 21:46: Message edited by: Rogini ]

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoebe Disco
Member # 46

- posted      Profile for Phoebe Disco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, maybe you should take more notice of the fact that Zidane didn't say that it was racist, rather than the fact he didn't not say it.
Posts: 14959 | From: the heart of a deviancy amplification spiral | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lipper
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for Lipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't what Zidane is alleged to have said in re shirt-swapping only arrogant if you presume that he somehow implied that it would be the French strips that would be soaked in the sweat of the winners? As I recall, there was still limited shirt-swapping in spite of the Italian victory.

Do you think Zizou and Materazzi still went through with the promised post-match shirt exchange? If so, I like to look on the headbutt as Zinedine's way of letting everyone on the pitch know that he was claiming Marco's natty blue top right there and then.

Posts: 500 | From: a funeral to a night on the town, without even going home to change. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taylor
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe our Italian speakers can confirm - do the mouth movements for "you are the son of a terrorist whore" look anything like the mouth movements for "I wish an ugly death on you and your family"? What about "son of Harkis"?

Because I'm still intrigued as to why so many different lip-readers came up with so many different interpretations. Assuming that what Materazzi said was, indeed, something other than a racist slur, was there ever any evidence for suggesting that it *was* racist, or did a bunch of people just think "Hmmm, Zidane's from a Muslim background... so he must have called him a terrorist. Oh wait, the dude's Italian - he probably insulted his mother as well. 'Son of a terrorist whore'? Probably..."

If that's the case -if the 'terrorist' stuff was just an assumption - then as well as being deeply insulting to both men, it arguably says a lot about the subconscious of supposedly concerned observers.

Personally, everything I know about Materazzi suggests that he is indeed a dolt, although I'm not sure I buy his claim that he doesn't even know "what an Islamic terrorist is." I'm also prepared to accept that such an obsessive sledger might make remarks on the pitch that don't neccesarily reflect his actual political opinions (or lack of them). But having heard Zidane's side of the story (and bearing in mind that not *all* of his previous red card offences will have been reactions to racial abuse), what does seem most likely at this point is that Matrix did blurt out a pretty run of the mill insult, and Zidane just lost it. What interests me most, if this is the case, is why so many people jumped to the same conclusion. Is it out of blind ZZ-worship (surely angel Zizou he couldn't have nutted someone just for calling his sister a slut)? Is it because some people can't seem to imagine anyone insulting a Muslim, albeit a non-practising Muslim, for anything other than their race or religion? Or is it because a lot of people seem to automatically link Italians with racism/fascism, as blithely as Materazzi was supposed to have linked Arabs and terrorism?

[ 12.07.2006, 22:35: Message edited by: Taylor ]

Posts: 3395 | From: further over there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

When you get a group like SOS Racisime saying that "several sources from the world of football" said that he called him a terrorist (which has been disavowed by ZZ and Materazzi, however calling the mother a terrorist hasn't been by ZZ,) it lends some credence that it was racial.

I don't know what was said, so maybe I shouldn't comment at all. But I have gut instincts, and I can tell when something's fishy, and this stinks.

Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you get a group like SOS Racisime saying that "several sources from the world of football" said that he called him a terrorist (which has been disavowed by ZZ and Materazzi, however calling the mother a terrorist hasn't been by ZZ,) it lends some credence that it was racial.

Well, no it doesn't, because SOS Racisme haven't got any proof at all, or if they do, they're keeping it to themselves.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Materazzi denied that he (a) insulted Zidane's mother, arguing that such a subject was "sacred" to him, and that (b) he used a racial slur.

Zidane said that Materazzi insulted his mother. He didn't mention the nature of that insult, it may have been racial or "standard" (whore, etc.) Zidane didn't want to go into the nature of that insult, he wants to be left alone.

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rick derris
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for rick derris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
can I ask, should have been an obvious question

what religion is zidane?

Posts: 4512 | From: bat country | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Describes himself as a "non-practising Muslim".
Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  26  27  28   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC