This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World Cup » Zidone (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  26  27  28   
Author Topic: Zidone
JerryFranc
Member # 1584

- posted      Profile for JerryFranc         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, i just got back from a decent party where there was no one fervently going for one side or another -- great first 30 minutes - then a lull - france sucks it up and goes for it - penalties seem near and BAM! - not an ankle tap, step on toes, grab his nuts, or even a Figo love tap - a full bore head butt and then to stare him down not giving a crap if he's sent off

THAT got everyone's attention

all in all, not much of a final - a dodgy early penalty call, some up and down play, but ended by dreaded penalties

I don't have a favorite final from my lifetime, but 1978, 1982 and 1986 were the ones that stand out to me. 1998 was great as I was tired of the fawning over Brazil. This one is not the worst (1990 & 1994 take that) but not one I'll have etched in my brain.

Posts: 265 | From: u.s. southwest | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best World Cup Final since 1986. Without a shadow of a doubt. It'll come out in the next two to three years that France were paid by the Italians to throw it, hence Zidane's nut and Trezeguet's miss, but while it lasts, brilliant.
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the 6th of September Italy plays France in the EC qualifiers...should be fun...
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I make that 14 career red cards for Zidane, though that figure may be slightly off, in which case AIATL will have the correct stats.
Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it is now 15 straight red cards for zizou.

Unless Roy Keane adopts the wrong attitude to sky's golden oldie football, or misses the essentially good natured point of eric Cantona's beach football, He's never going to be able to challenge for Zinedine's mantle of most violent crazy bastard in football.

Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TV's 'Mr P'
Member # 164

- posted      Profile for TV's 'Mr P'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(When did Ronaldo 'leave a World Cup in disgrace'?)
Posts: 10682 | From: the vaults of the biggest record collection in the world... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lipper
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for Lipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so saddened by the whole thing. I've always rather identified with and admired Zidane; he's exactly a week older than I am, and yet has achieved so much more with his life than I have with mine (I'm chalking it up to him having had the advantage of the week's head-start).

At one point in our lives, we even shared a similar appearance: in 1998, I had my hair around the same length as his (quite short), and we shared the same hairline. That summer I was playing a lot of pick-up football at this park in the west end of Toronto; everyone I played with insisted on calling me Zidane. I like to believe that this was due to my dominant distribution, assurance in possession, drive, motivation, commitment, and leadership in the heart of midfield; unfortunately, if I'm being honest, it was far more to do with the possibility that if you were stood a ways off and squinted, in the right light, I sort of looked like him.

Since then, he's gone on to win virtually every honour in the game for club and country; I've gone on to keep my hair. I bet he'd trade places with me in a heartbeat.

As I mentioned at the top of this thread, just prior to his Nod of Shame, I was thinking about what it must feel like for him, knowing that the clock was ticking down on the last time he'd do any of this at any kind of competitive level, that everything he'd focused his life around doing was drawing to a close. I'm thinking that these sorts of thoughts would begin rattling around fairly prominently in the head of anyone in that situation with the match comfortably salted away. Having all that in the back of your head with the game still in the balance as well, that's some heavy pressure: Zizou their fearless leader, having the possibility of sealing his legend with something truly remarkable if he can find it in himself to will France to the win, with the last act of a storied career.

He must have looked deep inside himself, and found that whatever used to be there had finally evaporated. Based on that, you'd have to say, he so nearly timed his retirement to perfection. Apparently, he had just enough in him for 90, and the extra time was an unexpected slog for a man who seemed peeved at being kept late. At that point, perhaps he thought, well, the Italians are edging it, Henry's off; no way we're winning this thing. Fuck it, I'll just nut that prick Materazzi, get my shower in before the floor turns salty with Gallic tears, and get on with the rest of my monkish life. Either that, or, as suggested elsewhere, perhaps something was said about his Momma, and her fondness for fornication with many men, sometimes simultaneously.

Whatever went through his mind, it's a damned shame, not least due to the eventual result. What a sorry way to end one of the finest careers any of us will ever see. That last act of madness shouldn't be enough to blot out everything he's previously accomplished, but in many people's eyes it will serve as very low epitaph to his career.

Posts: 500 | From: a funeral to a night on the town, without even going home to change. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amaranto
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for amaranto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My father was born in 1919. He has now seen Italy win 4 World Cups. i have seen 2 in my life. I am so happy.
Posts: 11 | From: Pisa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scouseroo
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Scouseroo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant - first the ciggies now the Kirby Kiss....

Zidane's a scouser int he ?

Posts: 797 | From: a land girt by sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Auntie Beryl
Member # 1082

- posted      Profile for Auntie Beryl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A mere 20 posts in this thread before the first Roy Keane reference.

Good work.

Posts: 1450 | From: west by south | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dormant
Member # 17

- posted      Profile for Dormant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was a cry for help.

A head-butt to the chest? Almost guaranteed to have maximum visual effect with minimum chance of seriously injuring the opponent.

Posts: 1287 | From: a state of near-panic | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Italian speakers (or perhaps French speakers), we need your lip-reading skills. What words were exchanged between ZZ and MM?

Seriously, this is a matter of global significance. You'd think the newspapers in the respective countries would have their best experts on the case.

I can't face reading the match thread yet, but I think we've witnessed a precedent-setting first use of instant video evidence: whether FIFA admit it or not, it's pretty clear that an official (whether the 'fourth official' or someone else) gave word to the linesman via the headset that Zidane had blatantly headbutted Materazzi, that the whole world was seeing it on TV, and that if he was allowed to stay on the field and score a crucial penalty for France, the scandal would rumble on for decades. (Or, probably an abbreviated version: "ZIDANE! OFF! NOW!")

Regardless of what words were exchanged (and the nipple-tweak which was repeatedly shown on BBC Breakfast this morning), I just think ZZ was frustrated. He knew that the moment - that brilliant header, saved equally brilliantly by Buffon - had gone, and there was nothing more he could do to win the match.

Much as I wanted France to win, I have to admit I cheered and laughed my bollocks off when I saw the headbutt. It's such a brilliantly iconic thing to do. It's what all of us (at least, all of us in the ABI brigade) wish we could have done. Not headbutt Materazzi in particular (he was actually one of their less niggly, whiny, fouly, divey, cheaty players), but any Italian. The photo of the moment of contact is bound to be made into a best-selling T-shirt.

Where now for Zidane? He's earned enough money to never need to work again, but... he doesn't strike me as the managerial type, or even the pundit type.

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loose Cannon ?
Member # 642

- posted      Profile for Loose Cannon ?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A scarlet mist must have clouded his judgement

He's become a hero in the tragic shakespearian tradition now, talented and so flawed

Posts: 1904 | From: a grassy knoll | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That could really improve your luck on the tube with the grunting middle-aged football types, SR, proudly sporting a T-shirt emblazoned with a picture of Zidane sticking it on Materazzi...
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoah, BBC Radio 5 Live are now floating the allegation that Materazzi called Zidane "a terrorist" (an insult directed at ZZ's Muslim heritage). Not sure where it's come from.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  26  27  28   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC