This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World Cup » Zidone (Page 27)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28   
Author Topic: Zidone
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, after two weeks, I still think it's one of the most brilliant things to ever happen, in football and in modern history. Zidane has become immortal, and this will live long in the memories of anyone who saw it. Dave Letterman makes jokes in his nightly monolouges, the videos all over the world about solving conflicts, the animations, etc. Luckily, it didn't turn ugly (the racial aspect, the fact that Materazzi didn't burst an aorta in his heart, etc,) and the fact that Italy ended up as champs only makes it more poignant.

The meme that ZZ was standing up for his mother and sister's honor has taken hold, and even if it was stupid, it was a stupid that everyone in the world associates with and emphasizes with. I remember the feeling when someone called my mother a whore the first time, and how I punched him in his fucking face.

It was the exact thing that has created great excitement in the US, and will lead to even higher ratings for the next WC. It was the first time, for weeks afterwards, that soccer is still a dinner conversation. Even amongst non-soccer fans.

So thank you Zizou. And Materazzi.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VTTBoscombe
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for VTTBoscombe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My kid's have still got and look at each day the incident reprinted, frame by frame in the Gazetta della Sport.
I will have to get it framed.

Would have been nicer if the memory of Zizou was his performance against Brazil (which even now almost raises a tear in me); but you can't bea it for drama.

I watched it at a beach bar in Croatia, the Croatians seem to like to model themselvs on Italians, so most supported Italy.
When ZZ did his el toro, they lit a flare, ultra style to celebrate his sending off.

Posts: 1047 | From: La Côte du Rhin | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoebe Disco
Member # 46

- posted      Profile for Phoebe Disco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luckily, it didn't turn ugly (the racial aspect, the fact that Materazzi didn't burst an aorta in his heart, etc,) and the fact that Italy ended up as champs only makes it more poignant.

What racial aspect? There wasn't one.

The meme that ZZ was standing up for his mother and sister's honor has taken hold, and even if it was stupid, it was a stupid that everyone in the world associates with and emphasizes with. I remember the feeling when someone called my mother a whore the first time, and how I punched him in his fucking face.

Shame Zidane's such a hypocrite, and not afraid of insulting other people's families.

Posts: 14959 | From: the heart of a deviancy amplification spiral | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There obviously was one, whether or not it was fair. I'm happy that the odds are that it wasn't.

Still love ZZ, and Adidas just signed him to a 5-year contract to advertise their cologne. So obviously I'm not alone in my feelings.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoebe Disco
Member # 46

- posted      Profile for Phoebe Disco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh for fucks sake. Here we go again.

There obviously was one, whether or not it was fair. I'm happy that the odds are that it wasn't.

No, there wasn't a racial aspect at all. No-one, except you, linus and some tabloids speculating have claimed that there was one.

Posts: 14959 | From: the heart of a deviancy amplification spiral | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, no, hang on. I think what he's saying here is that there was a racial aspect insofar as it became part of the discussion and furore surrounding the incident, whether or not that was fair in that there was anything racist involved in the incident itself.

If that is what he's saying, it seems fair enough to me.

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

That's what I was saying, so fucks sake back at ya.
Phoebe Disco
Member # 46

Sorry, Jason, I don't know what came over me.
jason voorhees
Member # 79

Yeah, me and millions world wide. So sue me.
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think what visionario was saying was that it was wrong to suggested the possibility that the rogue brute/thug/dirty player/hypocrite might have said something racist.
Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Baby eater as well, don't forget....
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But Linus, nobody's suggested that Zidane did say anything racist
Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janik
Member # 54

- posted      Profile for Janik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, linus, you got a bite!
Posts: 6487 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janik
Member # 54

- posted      Profile for Janik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Head-butting Marco Materazzi is three times worse than headbutting a horse.
Posts: 6487 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melmoth the Wonderer
Member # 233

- posted      Profile for Melmoth the Wonderer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Red card shown to Zidane shown to Argentine President
Posts: 705 | From: langley park to memphis | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC