This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World Cup » Sick Italy Groupies (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: Sick Italy Groupies
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a side issue arising from the World Cup Final...

Does any other nation inspire as many sick groupies - as many racial transvestites - as Italy?

Why do Italy, in particular, earn the slavish, sycophantic devotion of so many people who aren't even Italian? I'm not just talking about the likes of Moitie-Moitie, Ganja and Dalliance (who also has dual Pseudo-Argentinian nationality, I believe?) on here, although they'll do for starters.

Last night, the pub I was in (the Winchester in Highgate, which inspired the Winchester in Shaun Of The Dead, fact fans) was crawling with them. Perhaps a small percentage have Italian heritage or some other tenuous connection, but in the main I'm talking about Pasty-faced Anglo-Saxons, one of them with a broad Yorkshire accent, shouting "WELL IN, PIRLO!" and "GOOD TACKLE, GATTUSO!" as if the Italian players were dear personal friends.

I mean, we all have our pet foreign countries (it used to be the ex-Commies, Bulgaria and Romania, for me, and usually Spain, and I have a soft spot for France because I've lived there and I speak the language). But these people go way overboard.

When the last Italian penalty went in, one of the Pasty-Faced Anglo-Saxons went absolutely apeshit and began leaping around the pub like his pants were on fire.

It can't just be the arrival of live televised Italian football on Channel 4 in the early 90s (?), because it doesn't only afflict Brits, although I'm sure it must be a factor.

There ought to be a word for these people. I've tried 'woppas' and 'spiggas', but neither of them is quite right.

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's because Italians are good looking and stylish.
Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because Italy are a fascinating team, a real Beauty and the Beast, which is bound to attract approval and opprobe at the same time. They are the comedy villain, always seen as masters of the dark arts, particulary by those very same pasty-faced Anglo-Saxons so sure in the knowledge of their moral superiority. Yet, at the same time, it remains popular to wear "Italia" items, unlike the "Brazil" stuff which has only positive connations and seems the preserve of a certain type of football "lovers", the Italia tops do attract because of that slightl smell of sulphur that emanates from the Italian nexus, you know something is not quite right yet you're attracted by it.

Italy are also a gay wet dream in term of attitudes, yesterday, watching Cannavaro standing tall, zen like face,every bit the gladiator like that Aussie git can only dream to be, during the penalty shoot-out, whilst the long haired, fragile looking, handsome Pirlo was behind, embracing him nervously, almost hiding behind his captain, was a beautiful a shot of man's elusive friendship for another man as I've seen...

Italy are the Guns'n'Roses of football. Preening and vicious, never dull...

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

I like that answer. Thank you.
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's because they win things.
Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morgan
Member # 92

- posted      Profile for morgan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because the alternative was France.
Posts: 2109 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

quote:
It's because they win things.
1982-yesterday morning is a long time.
Phoebe Disco
Member # 46

- posted      Profile for Phoebe Disco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine's a more simplistic explanation.

When England fans destroy chairs at major international tournaments, it's because they're being hurled at whoever's in the way.

When Italian fans destroy chairs at major international tournaments, it's because they're dancing a little too vigourously on them.

My friends, that is how it should be.

Posts: 14959 | From: the heart of a deviancy amplification spiral | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always found Italian fans pretty joyless and anti-social at the tournaments I've been to - whereas yer Germans, yer Spanish, yer Portuguese, yer Dutch and yer English (though sometimes you wish some of them wouldn't) all flood into town and city squares for a party, Italians seem a bit more preening and reticent. This is only my anecdotal experience, mind, but they are nowhere near the top of the league of football's Carnival People.
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
1982-yesterday morning is a long time.
True, but not as long as 1966-never again.

[ 10.07.2006, 11:57: Message edited by: Nishlord ]

Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking of buying a DVD of the final, as I was too engrossed to press "record" while the camera was on Cannavaro and Pirlo in the shoot-out, as mentioned by MM.

nish - nice one.

What is it with "pk" becoming almost acceptable? It's a penalty.

Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from a few ultras crews (one had an Italian flag with "Alcohol and whores" on it...) who like a piss-up, most Italian fans don't drink much and the big city centre meetings are not really high on the list, especially if notoriously fond of booze opposition is in town.

It's bizarre being in a big crowd in Italy, hardly anyone is drunk yet when they are celebrating, they are completely manic.

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

quote:
True, but not as long as 1966-never again.
If it's all about the winning, why do you never meet any fake Germans?
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't imagine celebrating another country's success in the way which SR describes above. The only time I'd be seen jumping around like a madman is on the occasion of a Welsh victory.

<leaves open goal for others>

Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC