This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World Cup » Sick Italy Groupies (Page 11)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: Sick Italy Groupies
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Plenty like him in France, rest assured of that...
Actually my position on the matter is not reflected in the French press, which hasn't condemned Materazzi. The editorials that were similar to my position were from the Anglo-Saxon media.

PS: I wonder if Swiss-Italians were pulling for France and complaining about how arrogant the Italians are...

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, the French media have shown an amazing amount of good grace about this story, it's down to the British media to go on their high horses and indulge in their relentless cultural arrogance, jumping to conclusions and general outright hypocrisy. Italians are awful racists and the French too, it's down to us to defend Zidane you can almost hear them think...

On websites you have quite a few trolls having a go though.

Swiss-Italians are very chippy when it comes to Italy just like Swiss-French are when it comes to France.

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Linus, you really are only making it worse.

Let's see, off the top of my head:

France: Greenpeace Warrior, Exocets, Kanaks, Elf Total, Oil for Food, Grand Projets, the RPR means of campaign financing, Le Pen making the second round of the Presidentielle, les banliues.

Clearly a model of tranparency, governmental rectitude and a beacon for the world to follow.

French football: The caisse noire at St. Etienne, Tapie's OM, Cantona's kung fu kick, driving Ginola into exile for a misplaced pass in the '94 qualifiers, Zizou's 14 red cards, Henry's atrocious acting in Germany.

Ditto.

No one is denying that Italy has problems or that Materazzi has a thuggish reputation in Serie A (though everyone who watches him regularly in Serie A was amazed at his transformation into a very effective non-thuggish defender and one of Italy's primary offensive threats in the Mondiale).

What is driving us nuts is your continued insistance that Zidane's headbutt was the result of a Corinithian idol being caught in an evil "Italian" plot after which the guy who had been butted was "ecstatic".

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In Italy's case though, a lot of the issues with the country (corruption, cynicism, raciscm/latent fascism) seem to be reflected in their approach to the game and that's worth pointing out.

How much bollocks can you talk in one day. For a start can you lay off the 'likely racist intent' until you have any clue what the hell you're talking about. It's a pretty piss poor and cowardly argument when you have to project your wish fantasies into proceedings with no basis of knowledge to back them up.

AIATL will be twitching, a contender for his Throne of Wrongness is emerging with some gusto.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoebe Disco
Member # 46

- posted      Profile for Phoebe Disco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
De Rossi and Materazzi's elbows on McBride and Sorin were cowardly instances where those cheap shot artists took out unsuspecting opponents unprovoked and tried to disguise their attacks.

How do you know they were unprovoked? Maybe McBride and Sorin verbally abused them.

Posts: 14959 | From: the heart of a deviancy amplification spiral | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Toys R Us Stadium
Member # 1306

- posted      Profile for The Toys R Us Stadium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ursus, you are completely, completely wrong.

It's 15 red cards.

Posts: 74 | From: Hove, actually. | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah crap, the cynical, corrupt and racist Italian media mislead me.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janik
Member # 54

- posted      Profile for Janik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, LVT, McBride and Sorin are likely to have racially abused them. No other explanation is possible.
Posts: 6487 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Linus certainly seems to be going Bernard Cribbins eh?

However Dalliance:-
quote:
I think Materazzi is to be praised for pulling out a reaction like that, it takes some flair.
Has to be a wind up, surely?
Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the risk of repeating myself, it's quite obvious that Materazzi was trying to rile Zidane and get a response from him. He succeeded. That tipped the balance in Italy's favor. It would be stupid to assume that he wasn't ecstatic about that.

France's record and international standing/perception is not the issue here. (But in the last few years, its stance is widely respected around the world and the turn of events in Irak have vindicated its position.)

French football: Cantona was a jerk, the OM has had a corrupt administration for ages, but "ditto" is quite a bit of a stretch in comparison to your country, stage of the greatest football scandal today. The shear scale of the Italian corruption is unmatched, there is no denying that. Equating Henry holding his face after he was fouled vs countless instandces of Italian players diving untouched, and some administrating cheap shots that drew blood is almost as big of a stretch.

What pisses me off about your players is the level of hypocrisy, in statements like these:

quote:
"I did insult him, it's true," Materazzi said in Tuesday's Gazzetta dello Sport. "But I categorically did not call him a terrorist. I'm not cultured and I don't even know what an Islamic terrorist is."
which is kind of reminiscent to Buffon's statement pleading ignorance when prodded about his endorsement of a fascist slogan and his choice of #88: "I don't know anything about politics." Chicken$hit, halfass, and tacit endorsement of fascism...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/world/news/1999/09/29/italy_tshirt/

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's not much that is 'tacit' about Buffon's fascism.
Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

You are hopeless.

And your position is about as respected on here as France's stance is widely respected around the world.

[Edit: That was to linus of course. Bombanero is unfortunately right about Buffon. And linus, anyone familar with Serie A would not find it at all cynical or hypocritical for Materazzi to claim he is not well informed. He regularly features in any ranking of the dumbest players in Serie A (as does Buffon, by the way).]

[ 11.07.2006, 17:52: Message edited by: ursus arctos ]

The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I said after that save from Zidane, though, he's almost certainly my favourite fascist wanker in the world.
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janik
Member # 54

- posted      Profile for Janik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ursus, I given up arguing with linus. It's clearly pointless. All that remains to be done is to point at him and laugh.

-

Posts: 6487 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think Materazzi is to be praised for pulling out a reaction like that, it takes some flair.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has to be a wind up, surely?

Not in the slightest. You have a decent but limited player up against the best player of the last generation, back in form. You could try your level best and still get a right seeing to just through dint of sheer quality.

If that player is off the field then you have won that battle and you have taken the advantage. If you can get him off the field that cheaply, rather than kicking him and fouling him and running the risk of your own expulsion then what could be easier and better.

And Zidane had plenty of experience of this sort of thing, in Italy and beyond. Indeed, most of his red cards in Serie A were for overreactions when he got riled.

It's a simple equation really. If you know a player has a great left foot then you try and keep him on his right. If you know a player is great in the air then you try to stop crosses getting to him. If you know the slightest insult can cause a player to lash out then you seek to encourage him to do so.

It's curious actually, this is like an argument coming from a xenophobic Englishman who thinks such strategies are just not cricket. Instead it seems to be in support of the French, many of whom play or have played and learned many of the tricks that Serie A teaches you.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC