This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World Cup » Sick Italy Groupies (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: Sick Italy Groupies
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Moitie has nailed this, but do happen to think that this kind of wannabe behaviour is more common in the UK (and the US) than in continental Europe, and that it would not at all surprise me if a significant number of the guys in question also own Blackburn Rovers tops of a certain vintage.

And Spearmint, you might want to consider "wankazzurri".

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King On The Rye
Member # 978

- posted      Profile for King On The Rye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason people support Italy is because we admire their beautiful Meditteranean lifestyle, their large, unruly familes sat around big tables eating pasta and quaffing Chianti (with water in it for the bambini), their uncomplicated love of children, their beautiful, historic cities, their alluring olive skin and their realistic approach to corruption.

We also love their 'technical' football, their ability to defend and their unflappable on-field demeanour. This contrasts nicely with their off-field exuberance, their wild-eyed romanticism and their delicious, fluid language.

I think I've covered most of the important factors there. I wouldn't worry too much about it - some of them quite like us too. For example, last night I saw a programme about Mods from Rome. What a weird concept, Italians pretending to be English who were heavily influenced by Italians. I guess you could call that self-love, but Italians don't go in for that. They're too busy rutting away at each other, the olive-skinned sexpots.

Posts: 1161 | From: Peckham | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blameless
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for blameless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I do it just to wind up hysterical Italophobes.
Posts: 3576 | From: a factually and morally wrong perspective | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this thread was almost asking for a Roman Catholic discussion...
Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant, KOTR!
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
se3_uk
Member # 1152

- posted      Profile for se3_uk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why do Italy, in particular, earn the slavish, sycophantic devotion of so many people who aren't even Italian? I'm not just talking about the likes of Moitie-Moitie, Ganja and Dalliance (who also has dual Pseudo-Argentinian nationality, I believe?) on here, although they'll do for starters.
I hadn't really noticed it being something peculiar to Italy, though I do have one friend who fits the profile. He has Italian ancestry way, way back in his family tree so he'd always had a soft spot for Italy but he'd never pretend to be anything other than English.

He tells me that it wasn't until 94 that he became a full-on supporter - no England, an Italian team doing well - he's never looked back. Mind you, he didn't watch in his local - he went to Berlin to take his chances with the touts. No idea whether he got a ticket or not.

But it's not a million miles away from those who adopt a club team without any local or family connection, is it? I work with a Liverpool fan from Shrewsbury, one Spurs fan from Cardiff and another from Bristol and a Man Utd fan from London.

What you're talking about is just the international version of the same glory-hunting.

[ 10.07.2006, 12:31: Message edited by: se3_uk ]

Posts: 1579 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoebe Disco
Member # 46

- posted      Profile for Phoebe Disco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from a few ultras crews (one had an Italian flag with "Alcohol and whores" on it...) who like a piss-up, most Italian fans don't drink much and the big city centre meetings are not really high on the list, especially if notoriously fond of booze opposition is in town.

That explains everything - they were playing France the first time I saw them. When in Kaiserslautern, I didn't see many Italians near the bars. Just presumed they'd gone to the main square.

The Italians I was drinking with at the Euro 2000 final were hammered though, especially the Gattuso lookalike. That was the day I became an Italophile, I must admit.

I think Moitie has nailed this, but do happen to think that this kind of wannabe behaviour is more common in the UK (and the US) than in continental Europe, and that it would not at all surprise me if a significant number of the guys in question also own Blackburn Rovers tops of a certain vintage.

That day, everytime I spoke to someone wearing an England shirt, they were not only Dutch (which initially threw me a bit, Brazil, Italy, etc I can understand, but if you're choosing a foreign team, why England), but they all seemed to support Ipswich, and congratulated me on the fact we'd just got promoted. Is it Mühren, Thijssen, Reuser, Wilnis and Zondervan, is the fact we're just over the road, or are the Dutch misery hunters?

[ 10.07.2006, 12:41: Message edited by: Il Visionario Tecnico ]

Posts: 14959 | From: the heart of a deviancy amplification spiral | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boris
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect the joy of pasty-faced English lads at Italy's victory yesterday was more to do with Ladbrokes than love of la dolce vita. I know quite a few people who headed to the pub to watch the game to cheer on the Italians, simply because they stood to win decent sums of lucre should that result come to pass.

Copious lashings of alcohol probably helped, too.

Posts: 8617 | From: the safe house | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

More details here and there are quite a few ultras crews calling themselves Mods XXXXx (Roma, Bologna, etc)

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan
Member # 39

- posted      Profile for Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Modena?
Posts: 10341 | From: London Overground | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
heh heh
Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If it's all about the winning, why do you never meet any fake Germans?
S'pose. Hmph.
Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the pub last night, I wore my Italia t-shirt, and cheered madly for Italy. So much so, that many patrons presumed I was Italian.

And the reason for that was exactly what morgan pointed out: last night I was Italian because Italy is not France.

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Globally, Brazil, England and Italy are the three most supported countries. Three different brands that appeal to different "racial tranvestites". France was an emerging brand that would have cemented its position at the top with a win yesterday, but instead it will remain in the "RT" B league along with Germany and Argentina.

Italy is the prototypical Eurotrash country/culture. It's reflected in the preponderance of cheezy hairstyles, tatoos on its team and the veneer of virtue bonded with hypocrisy on a body of darker values and a football culture derived from the most corrupt sporting landscape in the industrialized world.

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blameless
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for blameless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's reflected in the preponderance of cheezy hairstyles, tatoos on its team and the veneer of virtue bonded with hypocrisy on a body of darker values

But enough about England.

Posts: 3576 | From: a factually and morally wrong perspective | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC