This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World Cup » Sick Italy Groupies (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: Sick Italy Groupies
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are over-egging the pudding ever so slightly Linus, there is much more to Italian football than just a corrupt core...
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a triple amaro for notre pote, Linus, M-M.

You have to remember how he was assuring everyone of France's inherent superiority.

Linus, you should read Cahiers de Football, they are very clearly supporters of the French team, but they also have their eyes open.

Now if they would just get their subscripton system working so that I wouldn't have to rely on finding the odd copy in airports.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do read them when in France (where I was though most of this competition), if only for the hilarious fake Domenech blog. I didn't think France would win the WC before the competition, but it did manage a phenomenal run and put itself in a position to win it despite Domenech.

In a game decided by a couple of centimeters (Trezeguet's ball bounces inside the line if struck ever so slightly lower), the negative tactics prevailed. There is indeed more to Italian football than its corrupt core, there are always some noble elements like Maldini or even Gattuso, who plays very physically but with a high degree of sportsmanship. But the story of the game was Materazzi, a player who epitomizes one of the ugliest facet of Italian football...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gyu8W1g2co
http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/materazzi/video/326909

Other than that ugly combination of shear violence coupled with cold-blooded cynicism apparent above, there is still a darker element in Italian football which was most probably contained in the verbal assault Materazzi hurled at Zidane.

I'm not a huge fan of England or Germany (fairly neutral towards either), but the last week of competition would have been phenomenal had they advanced to the semis. For all the criticism England gets here, they are on a higher plane in terms of sportsmanship.

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As epitomized by Messrs. Rooney and Frings, no doubt.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, right now you're jumping to conclusions about Materazzi actions during that game, in the same way as the anti-Ronaldo brigade did about Rooney.

Germany has advanced to the semi-finals and they had a phenomenal game against Italy. I've no idea why on God's green Earth you think England would have added anything to the equation of the last four though...Better sportmanship, possibly yeah...

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better sportsmanship would have been enough for me.
Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 19

Well, tough luck...
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was English sportsmanship that good, really? Paul Robinson looked like he was feigning injury to waste time against, er, Ecuador. He pulled up with cramp, despite not having done anything for about an hour. After five minutes of apparent agony, he got back up and booted a seventy yard goal kick.
Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

You can dismiss the differences saying it's all shades of grey, or you can point out the difference between dark charcoal and off-white...

Moitie, it's fine, I'd rather be on the losing side and abhor that kind of cynical pourriture than be happy with those who compartmentalize it and relish its successes.

dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, I think this Materazzi - Zidane thing is hilarious. Apparently one of the Saudi players called Zidane a terrorist and was stamped on for his trouble.

Materazzi evidently saw that and though, ha, this looks an easy wind up. He could well have said the same insult last night according to reports, so how noddy was Zidane to react to such a throwaway line like that.

Materazzi must have been pissing himself at how simple it was, once he got back up of course. I think Materazzi is to be praised for pulling out a reaction like that, it takes some flair.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

Do you realize how stupid it is to think that the Saudi player actually called Zidane a terrorist? I would expect that kind of idiocy from a 15-yr old kid raised on Fox News, but not from a grown-up often masquerading on this site as a cultured European.
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moitie's first post was excellent. It's exactly why I both love and despise Italian football. I loved the 82-90-94-98 teams. The minute Titti and Del Piero conspired to keep Baggio off the 02 team, I've despised them ever since.

This year's team was nauseating, especially with the scandal going on. I look forward to the day when I can get behind them again.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you realize how stupid it is to think that the Saudi player actually called Zidane a terrorist? I would expect that kind of idiocy from a 15-yr old kid raised on Fox News, but not from a grown-up often masquerading on this site as a cultured European.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try reading up on some of the news agency reports and take it up with them my friend. Unless of course you were standing next to the players at the time and have something useful to contribute to the contrary.
Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

quote:
This year's team was nauseating, especially with the scandal going on. I look forward to the day when I can get behind them again.
The scandal had nothing to do with the team whatsoever.
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Saudi Arabia player, Fuad Amin, didn't call Zidane a terrorist in that 1998 game. He slagged him over his Algerian ancestry.

[ 10.07.2006, 20:14: Message edited by: Citizen Smith 2.0 ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC