This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World Cup » Sick Italy Groupies (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: Sick Italy Groupies
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The idea of a Saudi player in 1998 calling Zidane a terrorist is complete nonsense. There is no point in trying to sidestep it and lump that kind of stupidity to "news agency reports", unless you don't have an ounce of critical reasoning in you.
Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are you talking about ? I don't give a flying one either way, I'm reporting what was mentioned in one of the Italian papers and either the Guardian or The Times this morning.

Go and annoy them with it.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure it's all a terrible misunderstanding that the players had no idea about. I'm sure Lippi had no idea of what his son was up to. I'm sure Cannavaro didn't hear the tapes when he was standing up for Luciano Moggi and Antonio Giruado.

All acting like no one's ever heard of Omerta.

Fuck 'Em.

And when Juve gets relegated, I am going to burn all of my Juve jerseys (about 15 of them,) my videos (about 10 scudetto-clinchers in addtion to about 50 games from 82-06,) my keychain, and I will spit on the memory of watching them on WNYC 31 when I was a 9-year-old.

Say whatever you want, this whole thing stinks.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to add my tuppence worth as to why I have historically always liked Italian and Argentinian football.

Well, I have no personal affinity with either but I did work out quite quickly that I liked players with a first touch, control and the ability to pass the ball and hold possession. I liked players with intelligence and craft and I liked teams who took the art of stopping goals as seriously as getting them.

There have been many, many teams over the years with those traits that I have admired and respected, but these qualities are the absolute basic fundamentals of Italian and Argentine football teams, thus the reason I gravitated towards them more than most nations over the years.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As epitomized by Messrs. Rooney and Frings, no doubt.

People may mock the premiership for being more violent, physical and rough and tumble, it is worth pointing out that Marco Materazzi was sent off 3 times and booked 12 times in his 27 Everton appearances.

Everton sold him because referees just couldn't understand his more "robust" form of defending and kept getting sent off.

Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

There was, as ever, a little more to his Everton story than that.
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on those attributes alone ("first touch, control and the ability to pass the ball and hold possession" and the "art of stopping goals"), you would have been neutral in your support yesterday.

However, it's your definition of "craft" as illustrated in your praise of Maturazzi's tactics (which most likely involved racist insults) that ultimately determined which side you supported yesterday.

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go on, I'd love to hear more. He went back to Perugia where I think his dad was coach. I think he set a scoring record for a defender in serie A shortly after. Everton really didn't see the best of Him. I think materazzi and dacourt racked up more sendings off than most other teams in the premiership that season.
Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

The Final was by no coincidence a battle between the best two defences in the competition, both of which I admired greatly. France has historically produced many fine defenders but only in recent times has that element become a true focus for them. my admiration does not run so deep accordingly.

You have no idea what Materazzi may or may not have said to Zidane which renders that point invalid for a start.

If we were to assume that he did insult Zidane in some form then yes, I applaud him. Lesser defenders have to usually kick opposition star players up and down the pitch running the risk of yellow and red cards to try and provoke a reaction. Materazzi can do it with a few words. If Zidane gets himself sent off and potentially costs his team the match because of playground insults then that naivety is hardly something to admire is it.

and I am the life
Member # 227

yes but why did he leave?
Janik
Member # 54

- posted      Profile for Janik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
illustrated in your praise of Maturazzi's tactics (which most likely involved racist insults)

Can we consider that changed to "for which there has been absolutely no evidence for, or suggestion from any party involved as to involving racist insults".
We can?
Good.

Posts: 6487 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janik
Member # 54

- posted      Profile for Janik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and everybody. The charge of racism is a major one. It is not to be bandied around because a football team you dislike has happenned to win an important match.
You cannot do this without strong evidence.

Posts: 6487 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

Well it was a case of family difficulties for Materazzi over here. Everton were aparently little help with the logistical arrangements behind his move and Materazzi's wife got stuck in a big house in the country miles away from anyone, including her husband a lot of the time of course.

Now Materazzi's wife is apparently somewhat known for her volatile and depressive nature and her desperate unhappiness in England caused Marco a lot of problems with form and fitness, something that he has held his hand up and acknowledged. He begged Everton to let him go back to Italy, they did and he rediscovered his form.

I like him. He's no brilliant talent and I'm not sure he should be playing for Inter but I think he did better than a lot of people would give him credit for in this World Cup, particularly considered the boots he stepped into. He's a real tryer too.

Playing alongside Cannavaro helped, Materazzi got better as the tournament advanced I thought.

Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Linus give it a fucking rest will you, this is life, not a Victorian novel for kids. No country, no sport, nothing is safe from corruption.
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

He sounds pretty popular with Everton at the time.
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC